Apple's redesigned Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard gain integrated batteries, Lightning ports

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    phils wrote: »
    Not having a full size keyboard with a number pad on it is a mistake. I don't understand why Apple doesn't listen to what customers really need. There is no logical explanation for not having a full size keyboard... And honestly I like the previous design a lot more than the newer one.. I looks slimmer

apple macs common denominator products for most people. most people dont need a numeric keyboard (even tho i prefer one, which is why i bought a third-party keyboard which they sell on their own site).

the new one is slimmer -- shorter angle since it doesnt have AA batteries at the end.
  • Reply 102 of 127
    It's not complicated. You have two sets of Eneloops. One in the keyboard, one in the drawer. When the one in the keyboard runs out, you swap them, and put the keyboard ones on the charger. After you charge them, you put them in the drawer. The drawer is thus never empty.

what if you forget? thats the entire point of Zapf Brannigan's claims -- that he may forget to charge the device one day. if we accept that, then we also accept that you may forget to charge your back up. and that wont recharge in TWO MINUTES.
  • Reply 103 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

And the moment you let your batteries die and that drawer is empty?

S.

O.

L.

So, go borrow the batteries from a TV remote or a couple of clocks or a flashlight or...

• Reply 104 of 127
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

So that's the argument now? Some guy might steal your batteries? What stops "that guy" from stealing your whole keyboard, then?

No[pe, just Tragedy of the Commons. And even rechargeables get left off the charger while a wall outlet is going to be right there for a desktop situation.

• Reply 105 of 127
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

So, go borrow the batteries from a TV remote or a couple of clocks or a flashlight or...

None of which I have here at work.

• Reply 106 of 127
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

its not stupid because it only takes 2 minutes to charge.

... And when the battery dies... 

• Reply 107 of 127
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    what if you forget? thats the entire point of Zapf Brannigan's claims -- that he may forget to charge the device one day. if we accept that, then we also accept that you may forget to charge your back up. and that wont recharge in TWO MINUTES.
    It's part of the process when a set of AAs runs out. My spare set of AAs is stored next to the charger, so when the batteries in my keyboard run out, I pop the old ones out of the keyboard, stick them in the charger, grab the new ones while I'm there, pop 'em in the keyboard, and get back to work. Chances of forgetting about it are pretty much nil.

I find it ironic that you're making this argument, in fact, since when dealing with integrated batteries that you have to charge ahead of time while you're away, asleep, or otherwise not using the keyboard/mouse, that actually is a situation where you have to remember.
  • Reply 108 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

I mainly quoted this for #2, but

1) Mmmmm... maybe

2) I was thinking about this. So far, Force/3D Touch has all been on flat surfaces. There may have been an engineering challenge they have not yet been able to overcome getting it to perform satisfactorily on the complex surface geometry of MM.

3) Apple? You have to be kidding.

4) I think a lot of the reasons this feature was not included have already been covered at great length, but just for the hell of it, I'll add my own anecdote. I work on my Mac at night A LOT. I always have at least a little light coming from somewhere, enough to see my keys at least. Who works in complete darkness?  It's not good to stare at a screen in complete darkness anyway. 

5) Like #3, another pipe dream Apple will never pursue. 

6) I'd have to brush up on my Apple Watch glances, but are you talking about these things showing up on the input devices themselves? If so, that doesn't really make any sense to me. If you're talking about showing up on the Mac, I think things are already heading in that direction.

Thanks for the feedback.   Apple's Mac approach to input devices is a heads up/hands down approach, which I agree with - so no the glances would be on screen pop ups only.   The ambient notifications on the Magic Mouse would violate this, but I think it would be useful.  I frequently leave my computer during the day, my computer goes to sleep (or I lock it), and having a simple colored indicator (top of the Magic Mouse could be programed to glow various colors) would be a quick way to see what happened while I was away.  

• Reply 109 of 127

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

It's not complicated. You have two sets of Eneloops. One in the keyboard, one in the drawer. When the one in the keyboard runs out, you swap them, and put the keyboard ones on the charger. After you charge them, you put them in the drawer. The drawer is thus never empty.

Self-righteous trolls make things complicated, or at least attempt to in order to obfuscate that they don't have a logical case to make. :rolleyes: 

• Reply 110 of 127
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

4) I think a lot of the reasons this feature was not included have already been covered at great length, but just for the hell of it, I'll add my own anecdote. I work on my Mac at night A LOT. I always have at least a little light coming from somewhere, enough to see my keys at least. Who works in complete darkness?  It's not good to stare at a screen in complete darkness anyway. 

Surely that reason applies just as much to MacBooks, which have backlit keyboard?

• Reply 111 of 127
    Quote:

so your main point is, it should have external batteries because you might forget to charge it. okay....so bad memory. ok. so what if your same faulty memory causes you to forget to buy new batteries? forget to charge spare batteries? forget to turn your mac on? etc... nonsense.

as for twiddling your thumbs -- for TWO MINUTES! and then you get a full-days's charge. is your time so valuable that you cant take 2 minutes? you dont use the bathroom ever?

I made my point: which is lower cost, a longer lifetime of device usefulness and flexibility as opposed to a one-size-fits-all form factor.

• Reply 112 of 127
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ... And when the battery dies... 

dear lord -- you mean years down the road? you mean, like when your iphone's battery eventually dies? you either learn now to replace it or bring it in for service, what else?

are you really asking for a perfect solution w/ no trade offs? because life is full of trade offs...most people use disposable AAs, and throw them in the trash, which is terrible. now they wont. at the cost of one day needing to have it serviced, years into the future. i like that trade off

i mean our gadgets dont run on unicorn farts, man. stop being irrational and asking apple to solve impossible world problems. do you ask Samsung to do the same?

some of you try so hard.
  • Reply 113 of 127
    It's part of the process when a set of AAs runs out. My spare set of AAs is stored next to the charger, so when the batteries in my keyboard run out, I pop the old ones out of the keyboard, stick them in the charger, grab the new ones while I'm there, pop 'em in the keyboard, and get back to work. Chances of forgetting about it are pretty much nil.

but what if you forgot? remember, thats the ENTIRETY of which his argument relied on -- that one is so dense that one forgot to charge the mouse ONE TIME IN A MONTH, and now its dead. apple's solution? let it charge for TWO MINUTES and then dont be so careless next time.

its a better solution that a legion of AAs.
  • Reply 114 of 127
    I made my point: which is lower cost, a longer lifetime of device usefulness and flexibility as opposed to a one-size-fits-all form factor.

you didnt do anything, other than get yourself banned by calling people names.

the number AAs tossed to landfill is not worth your TWO MINUTES of charge time.

the proof? apple did it this way after doing it your way. and they arent going to go back. bet on it.
  • Reply 115 of 127

dear lord -- you mean years down the road?

That’s what his original point was, yeah. I was just saying he’d be screwed then.

• Reply 116 of 127
    dear lord -- you mean years down the road? you mean, like when your iphone's battery eventually dies? you either learn now to replace it or bring it in for service, what else?
    Do you replace your keyboards on a regular basis? I kept my old Apple Bluetooth keyboard (the old full-size one with the numpad on it) for over ten years.
    most people use disposable AAs, and throw them in the trash, which is terrible.
    Everyone here is talking about rechargeable AAs. When a rechargeable AA gets to the point where it has to be thrown in the trash, the WHOLE KEYBOARD is going to have to be thrown in the trash, which is more terrible, especially since those L-Ion batteries are especially toxic (and flammable) compared to other types.
    but what if you forgot?
    Oh, for crying out loud. I don't want to answer that again. Just read my previous response.
    remember, thats the ENTIRETY of which his argument relied on -- that one is so dense that one forgot to charge the mouse ONE TIME IN A MONTH, and now its dead. apple's solution? let it charge for TWO MINUTES and then dont be so careless next time.
    I'd say at least 90% of people who use this keyboard won't recharge it until the battery runs out. Life is full of many priorities, stresses, and responsibilities; a keyboard battery is pretty low on that list.
  • Reply 117 of 127

After exhausting the "no replaceable batteries" argument, are we going to move on to the "but it has no SD card slot so it's a big fail" argument next? FFS these arguments are beyond boring at this point.

• Reply 118 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

They do.

Edit: some people are saying this design is different. I'm confused now.

Hey, do we got any new info about this? Butterfly or not?

• Reply 119 of 127
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I don't understand why the top row keys have the same size as the regular keys? They could have made the keyboard smaller (and lighter) by having the top row keys match the keys of the Retina Macbook. 

I also do not understand why the magic keyboard still has (wobbly) scissor keys?

• Reply 120 of 127
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    After exhausting the "no replaceable batteries" argument, are we going to move on to the "but it has no SD card slot so it's a big fail" argument next? FFS these arguments are beyond boring at this point.

All I can do is roll my eyes at the people complaining about the placement of the lightening port on the Magic Mouse. I mean the way people are going on about it you'd think this mouse had to be charged every 5 minutes! It's ridiculous! The mouse lasts for a month on a 2 hour charge and 9 hours on a 2 minute charge. And OS X gives you ample warning when the battery is running low. There should be absolutely no need to use the mouse while it's charging and Apple is effectively saying we don't want you to do that. Everyone complaining that Apple chose form over function are essentially doing the same thing, they want the port visible because it looks inelegant to have the mouse laying on its side while charging. I would argue it looks just as inelegant having a visible port that's not going to be used 99% of the time. Perhaps Apple could have done wireless/inductive charging but would that have allowed them the ability to do fast charging?

Honestly this is just picking nits and people always needing to be outraged by something. :rolleyes: