Apple brings Force Touch to the desktop with new $129 Magic Trackpad 2

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

It's interesting, I definitely didn't like using the trackpad on my G3 iBook, and had a cheap mouse I carried with it to use when there was desk space available, but I find the one on my 2008 MacBook much nicer to use. Also, I find the chief advantage with the Magic Trackpad is being able to place it somewhere other than between me and the keyboard, which is still my biggest complaint about notebook trackpads.

For the record, I still don't like using the trackpad on my work (Windows) machine, largely because it has no Multitouch, and two finger scrolling, in particular, doesn't work.

The only reason I'm not buying a new Magic Trackpad is the price. The Australian price is A$200. I'll have to wait until our dollar gets back up, or Officeworks has them on special offer.

I should clarify that I ditched my mouse when the first Magic Trackpad came out that I could use on the desktop (not trackpads in general).   I was not a big fan and had a mouse as well with older laptop trackpads, and I too, don't like them between myself and the keyboard.   

Both at home (older Mac Pro) and in the client office (Macbook Pro used as desktop) I use the Apple Extended Keyboard or whatever the aluminum full size wired keyboard is called and a Magic Trackpad off to the side where the mouse would be.  It uses less desk space and is easier to operate than a mouse, for me.

• Reply 42 of 63
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    If Touch ID on Macs aren't possible I'd like to see is the connection with the Apple Watch via BT getting a secondary pairing for Mac access. That means, when my Watch in on my wrist and the passcode entered, and after I've added my password to my Mac for that day, my Mac will automatically lock and unlock based on my proximity using BT signal strength from the device. I walk out of the room and my Mac locks, I walk back in and it unlocks for me.

You can already do this. I do. :)

https://macid.co
  • Reply 43 of 63
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

They do in other countries when the dollar falls :grumble: 

All roads lead to the Fed, after all. Hopefully we crash hard enough to end this century-long nightmare.

• Reply 44 of 63
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Bought it for my iMac 5K. Guess that makes me an early adopter.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

I have faith that if they can figure out wireless payments with the phone and watch they surely could figure out a way to securely put a touch ID on the mouses, keyboards and trackpads. 

It's got to be coming. I don't see Apple implementing ?Pay without Touch ID even though you can alternatively enter a password. And ?Pay has to be coming to the Mac for use with online commerce. The only way you can use ?Pay currently is with an App on an iPhone or iPad for a select number of merchants who accept ?Pay. But before that happens Apple will have to get significantly more merchants accepting ?Pay online, via a secure browser and not a custom app. Those all have to be things they are working on since the move to Chip & Signature cards is pointless for increasing security of online transactions. As it stands now, I have one credit card I use only with ?Pay, so the credit card is not compromised by another other means. I have another credit card for internet transactions only, and another for physical transactions. 

• Reply 46 of 63
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    It's got to be coming. I don't see Apple implementing ?Pay without Touch ID...

Apple Pay already works on the Apple Watch and you authenticate only with a PIN when you attach it to your wrist. After that, it's just a double tap of the Contacts button to call up your cards and enable the NFC radio for payment.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Woah! I must've been in a coma this past day, because I missed this news!

I've been asking for a new Magic Trackpad for many months now, ever since they first released force touch.

My last Magic Trackpad broke some months ago, and I'm glad that I waited to replace it, because I knew that this new one was right around the corner!

I'll be getting this on day one! :smokey: 

• Reply 48 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Oh, I see that's available right now already!

I suppose that I can head out and have one in about 30 minutes, because my local Apple store is 24-7, but I'm too lazy to go outside at 2 am.

I guess that I'll be dropping into an Apple store tomorrow probably and pick up one of these suckers! I'd been using a Logitech mouse for a few months now, and I'm so over mice. The magictrackpad is far superior, in my opinion. It's going to be good to have a new trackpad again, and with force touch! That's going to rock! Bring it on! :smokey: 

And also, all of my previous Magic Trackpads eventually developed problems with the bottom buttons and the feet on the bottom, and it seems like the Magic Trackpad 2 wont have any of those issues ever, because it doesn't actually physically move when you press it. That's great!8-) 

• Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks to me like the combined cost of the new mouse and trackpad makes the price $129.

Not $129 by itself.

If you read that as the mouse being included in the price and costing $79, it makes a little more sense.  Drop the (-$79) mouse and just get the (+$129) trackpad and you're left with $50.  If you keep the mouse and add on a Trackpad, you pay the full $129.

• Reply 50 of 63
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member

It should have been wirelessly recharged through a foot stand of the iMac.

• Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Due to existing laws, you'd be exchanging your own right to privacy for a little convenience. Not a good trade, IMO.

If someone is comfortable making that trade on an iPhone, doing it on a Mac wouldn't be a stretch. For most of us exchanging the privacy for the security is a good trade.

If you're afraid of 5-0 kicking in your door and making you unlock your Mac with your TID, then just run a script to turn it off when you here somebody yelling "SEARCH WARRANT!" or a bang on the door as it's rammed. (If they use breaching rounds you'll probably be too scared to scram the evidence.)

For the rest of us, there's a far, far greater chance of somebody burglarizing the homestead when we're out to dinner.

• Reply 52 of 63
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I don't understand why anyone on a desktop would use a trackpad over a mouse. They were invented for portable devices to eliminate the need for a mouse, but are just not as efficient.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Because it's WAY better than a mouse!

Multi-finger gestures, pinch-to-zoom, rotate, and now force-click - the only reason I still use a Magic Mouse on the living-room machines because I had it laying about.

For the work machine, trackpads only, for years now. Having a stand-alone trackpad was a revolution for my desktop work.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I wish they put a fingerprint sensor in these new trackpads and make touchID a part of OSX

You could use MacID. It's a really cool app that uses your iPhone's TouchID to unlock your Mac.

• Reply 55 of 63
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member

Now if somebody did something like the Hengedocks Clique http://hengedocks.com/products/clique-magic-trackpad-and-wireless-keyboard-dock ;(or 12 south Magic Wand) and included built-in lightning connectors so you could plug in and charge while using…

• Reply 56 of 63
    Just received my new Magic Trackpad 2 and was very disappointed to find that it ONLY works with El Capitan. I still use Yosemite on my iMac because I have some programs that don't yet work with El Capitan. The Apple website does NOT state this, except in small print under Technical Specs on the Buy page. This may also be true for the other updated Magic input devices.

When I called Apple about the issue (I thought the Trackpad may have been defective because it paired manually but was not recognized in Preferences and could only point and highlight) I was further surprised to find that Apple does NOT recognize accessory warranties as having phone assistance. The Apple rep demanded that I pay $29 for service because my late model 2009 iMac no longer had Apple Care. I asked for and received a waiver, but jjeesh this was a brand new Apple device!! So according to this rep any Apple accessory will only get technical support if it is used with a current Apple computer under warranty or extended Apple Care.

My options now are update to El Capitan or return the Magic Trackpad 2. This has NOT been a magical experience for me...
  • Reply 57 of 63
    emoeller wrote: »
    Just received my new Magic Trackpad 2 and was very disappointed to find that it ONLY works with El Capitan. I still use Yosemite on my iMac because I have some programs that don't yet work with El Capitan. The Apple website does NOT state this, except in small print under Technical Specs on the Buy page.

I'm sorry, but you just wrote that Apple's website does not state this, except where they do - which is exactly where I'd expect to find compatibility information.

I do understand that you're just venting, and I can feel your disappointment (I would be, too), but the argument you bring to offload the responsibility onto Apple makes no sense.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

I'm sorry, but you just wrote that Apple's website does not state this, except where they do - which is exactly where I'd expect to find compatibility information.

I do understand that you're just venting, and I can feel your disappointment (I would be, too), but the argument you bring to offload the responsibility onto Apple makes no sense.

Thanks Spheric, but you do realize that Force Touch for Mac was introduced earlier this year in Yosemite when the Retina MacBook was introduced.   So I had assumed that only the new Magic Trackpad 2 would be needed to use it on my Mac running Yosemite - but that is NOT the case.  I'm sure that I won't be the only person with this issue.  I have a friend who works at the local Apple Store and he told me that he expected the new Trackpad to be compatible with Yosemite.   There is no reason that it shouldn't be compatible except that Apple has not programmed the necessary drivers (my 2009 iMac is running Bluetooth 4.3 software, which according to the Apple tech is fine for the new Trackpad).

So yes I am venting, but I'm doing it for a reason - because I feel that there are other folks out there who may find themselves in the same situation I was in with a new Trackpad not able to run under Yosemite.

• Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

I don't understand why anyone on a desktop would use a trackpad over a mouse. They were invented for portable devices to eliminate the need for a mouse, but are just not as efficient.

Have you used a trackpad on a recent Apple product? Apple's gestures give it far more functionality and efficiency than most any mouse. I say 'most any' as there's almost always an exception.

Surfing alone makes a Magic TrackPad worth the purchase. Simply swipe left or right with two or three fingers (your choice via the MTP's prefs) and you move through webpages instantly. There are a lot of other gestures that a typical mouse can't do that give the MTP a big edge. 

A mouse may have the edge in fine movements that some use cases might require. For all else, an MTP really has an edge. It's also more natural if you're also used to using an iPad or iPhone to any extent. I've been using a MTP since it first shipped and love it. Using a mouse now is slow and occasionally frustrating, in comparison.

• Reply 60 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Thanks Spheric, but you do realize that Force Touch for Mac was introduced earlier this year in Yosemite when the Retina MacBook was introduced.   So I had assumed that only the new Magic Trackpad 2 would be needed to use it on my Mac running Yosemite - but that is NOT the case.  I'm sure that I won't be the only person with this issue.  I have a friend who works at the local Apple Store and he told me that he expected the new Trackpad to be compatible with Yosemite.   There is no reason that it shouldn't be compatible except that Apple has not programmed the necessary drivers (my 2009 iMac is running Bluetooth 4.3 software, which according to the Apple tech is fine for the new Trackpad).

So yes I am venting, but I'm doing it for a reason - because I feel that there are other folks out there who may find themselves in the same situation I was in with a new Trackpad not able to run under Yosemite.

The tech specs actually state "Bluetooth 4.0-enabled Mac computer", which your machine most definitely is not. Your 2009 iMac does NOT have Bluetooth 4.0 hardware.

Regardless of what version of the driver OS X ships with, your iMac has Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. It does not support Bluetooth 4.0.