Teardown of Apple's refreshed 21.5" iMac finds LG-built display, soldered & non-upgradeable RAM [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

You get the same great experience from the first day of ownership to the last for years on end before deciding to finally upgrade because you want to, not because you have to.  In my case, that means my late-2010 13" MacBook Air boots just as fast as it ever did, runs silent and cool, never experienced a virus or malware, and hasn't needed its drive reformatted and rebuilt like the typical Windows PC.

Simply not true. Unless, of course you do not upgrade the OS X. If you do, the MacBook Air becomes excruciatingly slow. For instance, MacBook Air 2.13 GHz (released by Apple on June 2009) 13-inch 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo/2GB/128GB SSD was fast with Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), but slow, slow, slow with OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite and 10.11.1 El Capitan.

• Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

"the hybrid Fusion Drive has a significantly smaller flash partition".

What? That's a bummer if true.

Update: looks like it's slimmed down from 128 GB to 24 GB SSD on the 1 TB option. That might be enough for light use but even moderate use will use all of that up. A Fusion Drive is great engineering but the diet will make a difference in performance. The 2 & 3 TB drives will retain the 128 GB SSD.

That is simply not acceptable. Not only because that is a ripoff, but because it is not declared. Shame on you, Apple.

• Reply 23 of 55

$200 for an additional 8 gigs of memory to take it from 8 to 16 gigs seems like highway robbery these days. :wow: 

To go from 8 gigs to 32 gigs on the 27" - which is a 24 gig increase is $600. So still $200 per 8 gig stick.:no:

There is no 64 gig option for the 27" models on Apple.com for me. Maybe they are not available yet? 

• Reply 24 of 55
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Quit with the conspiracy theories.

Most consumers will never upgrade their machines after purchase. By the time something does go wrong, the tech has evolved enough to where it's better to just buy a new one. Simple fact.

Nothing to read here. Move along.

Generally... The average person who knows anything about computers will upgrade the GPU twice and the RAM once in a desktop to prolong the life of the system. Since neither are possible with an iMac anyway the smart thing to do is order the maximum RAM right from the beginning. I'd be far more annoyed if they soldered NVME storage to the motherboard, as doing so means the system has an expiry date of about 3 years, if not from wearout, certainly from lack of storage options.

Contrast with the iPhone/iPad which you are not constantly read/writing to the NAND flash in large chunks. Well unless you're using it as a 4K camera day in and out.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No one cares who the hell you know or what their preferences are, *according to you*.

I can do that, too. Guess what: Pretty much every user *I* know has NOT upgraded RAM after three years. 

You are WRONG. Most people do upgrade. Mostly now that Mac OS X is upgraded every year, requiring more and more RAM, speed, etc (see example above).

• Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Where is this?

In the purchase process...

Choose Storage

Click: How much storage is right for you?

will show such information.

• Reply 27 of 55
    $1500 dollars worth. Want more Ram, pay before purchase. 1 out of 10 says it really needs to be reiable.
  • Reply 28 of 55

The memory option is fine this way. Check you own system with the activity app and notice how much RAM your system actually use. You will come to the conclusion that 8 GB are more ten enough for most ppl. 

• Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

You are WRONG. Most people do upgrade. Mostly now that Mac OS X is upgraded every year, requiring more and more RAM, speed, etc (see example above).

Sorry, but your statement is technically wrong. I suggest you check your system with the activity app before claiming things. We aren't on Winsux that burns memory.

• Reply 30 of 55
    Soldered RAM is not only about upgrading it is also about reliability RAM unseating is a common problem.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

LPDDR3 memory is always soldered/non-upgradeable, regardless what brand of computer it goes in.

/sigh

• Reply 32 of 55
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Skimping on parts like extra ram bays, access ports, and hinges, increases Apple's profit margin and enables it to sell products like the 4K iMac at palatable prices.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    appex wrote: »

Show me the numbers that support "most people DO upgrade."
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

Soldered RAM is not only about upgrading it is also about reliability RAM unseating is a common problem.

Not common at all.  Just more likely than a ram failure.  

• Reply 35 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Not common at all.  Just more likely than a ram failure.  

Fairly common when an end user tries to replace their ram by themselves, especially in an iMac. The memory slots are at an angle and seating the modules is a bit difficult in my experience. They do not snap-in with a definitive click like ram on a PC that is vertical and where each module has its own clamps.

• Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

Soldering also has better electrical characteristics which might allow slightly higher DRAM bus speeds or lower power.

• Reply 37 of 55
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

Increased integration is the main vector of progress in electronics and has been since the beginning of electronics.  This is not a conspiracy theory or anything worth complaining about.  Get used to directly soldered DRAM.  It will be standard on all computers within a few years.

• Reply 38 of 55
    Some of you are just plain nuts. The average mass market user (Apple's prime customer) will not ever upgrade RAM. I do not upgrade RAM because I always order the max allowable at the time. A 21.5" is not in my future so no need to worry. There are other machines for those of you who just cannot live with the fact that the 21.5" iMac RAM is not upgradeable...

I am also willing to bet that Apples team understands what is needed a hell of a lot better than any of you. I know some of you are super smart but give me a break.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

This obviously is the truth. Statistically very few users ever upgrade anything. Having said that you'd imagine that I am not in favor of non-upgradable ram and HD. On a laptop I am more inclined to understand it but on a desktop it ought to be possible.

With the design convergence in all in one designs of desktops the difference in internal configuration between desktop and laptop tends to disappear. They're both cramming everything into smaller and smaller spaces and anything that allows for user access wastes space when not accessed.. for fittings, access panels etc. Why batteries went builtin.

• Reply 40 of 55
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

Some of you are just plain nuts. The average mass market user (Apple's prime customer) will not ever upgrade RAM. I do not upgrade RAM because I always order the max allowable at the time. A 21.5" is not in my future so no need to worry. There are other machines for those of you who just cannot live with the fact that the 21.5" iMac RAM is not upgradeable...

I am also willing to bet that Apples team understands what is needed a hell of a lot better than any of you. I know some of you are super smart but give me a break.

Yep: my last RAM upgrade was from 32 to 64 MB (not a typo) for my IBM One, ever after for all work and personal machines I max out the RAM on purchase. I mean when I buy a car I don't get half the horsepower with the idea I can just add some later.... why start out limping?