Only 5% of Mac users at IBM need help desk support, compared to 40% of PC users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    undefined
  • Reply 42 of 81
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Incredible success, it clearly proves Mac OS X the better platform.
    Anyone not using it is insanely stupid.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    lostkiwi wrote: »
    I had a very similar background to many here and have been very happy with my chiice of platforms for many years.

In my experience, using my Mac is like getting a hug from a beautiful lady. Having to use the PC for work purposes is like being daily slapped in the face with a big fish.

It's true windows and Linux (for that matter) is downright ugly to use, it hurts the soul and makes you depressive.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    Adverts in the Start Menu for Windows 10 ... enough said ...
  • Reply 45 of 81
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    chelin wrote: »

IBM is behind many different OSes like OS/2 and PC DOS.. but also AIX, K42 etc etc..
    Can you define what you mean by "behind many different OSes".

I'm don't see how referring to IBM's many different OSes over the years is any more relevant to this thread than referring to Apple's different OSes, such as A/UX and Taligent.

I also trust that you're aware that the initial PC-DOS was written by Microsoft and then licensed to IBM.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sog35 wrote: »
    And this is why IT departments hate Mac's.  

hate Mac's what...?
  • Reply 47 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sflocal wrote: »
    praises Apple for something as simple as having a sleep-mode that "actually works".

this! it is amazing that Windows laptops still haven't got this working right.

classic boneheaded move -- the other day at work i put my Dell laptop into Hibernate mode, and it starts shutting down. then i close the lid and tossed it into my bag. i get home, open the laptop lid, and it...resumes from Sleep -- then proceeds to complete the Hibernate command I gave it before closing the lid. omg. what the hell, guys.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwio View Post

Sounds faulty, take it back.

Yeah, for the first time in, well, maybe ever, Illustrator took a crap on me the other day. Then again, I'm running an early '09 MacPro. Took six years for apps to start biting it, so no complaints here. Definitely sounds abnormal. 

• Reply 49 of 81

Any thought given to the fact that the more technically competent are going to choose Mac?  

• Reply 50 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    No joke, I just saw on Twitter that Microsoft is hosting devices parties where people can go try their new hardware. Seriously, they think people want to hang out at a party and use Windows? :lol:
  • Reply 51 of 81

Of course Mac users don't need help from IT. Even novice users know now to tweet, email, and write documents. That's about all they can do on OS X. CAD design? no. Proprietary accounting software? no. Advanced database? no. Advanced coding? no.

As for windows failures? When you are comparing $2000 macbooks to $300 beige boxes, what do you expect? I maintain an office full of premium windows machines and haven't had a failure in 10 years. You people are remembering the era of windows 98 and XP instability.

I have tried numerous times in the last 5 years to move to OS X. It's a productivity nightmare. If it wasn't for the success of iPhone, the Mac platform would still be an ignored niche.

• Reply 52 of 81

I supported Macs only up until Apple switched to Intel, then actually started to learn how to support XP and up since I had a "sandbox" that is Boot Camp.  And if I screwed something up, it was an easy restore with WinClone.  Night and day from an IT perspective:  Macs are simple compared to the potential nightmare a Win box is.  Although Win 7 was getting better and even more with Win 8 (I know, heresy in the Win world to say that!)

Right now, I am at a College and Boot Camp several hundred Macs because there is still some AutoDesk apps that aren't native on the Mac side.  So much more of my time is spent supporting the Windows side.  Patches, service packs, hot fixes, etc.  I never understood this naming convention.  Reminded me of the days of System 7.5 where there was an Update 2 Revision 1, or something like that...

Curiously, the enterprise tools are far better on the Windows side to manage the computers (we haven't bought anything from JAMF/Casper, so I could be wrong.)  Probably because the Windows desktops need that much management!

• Reply 53 of 81
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

What percent of Mac users at IBM are running Windows on their Mac (virtualization, Boot Camp, remote desktop)?

• Reply 54 of 81
    These new "PC Does What?" commercials are shockingly bad. :lol:

https://t.co/qgKlmT1Hqa
  • Reply 55 of 81
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Previn revealed that IBM is now deploying 1,900 Macs per week, and there are currently 130,000 iOS and Mac devices at use within the company. All of these devices are supported by just 24 help desk staff members.

Is 24 the total number of help desk staff, or just the ones who support Apple devices?  And do those 24 support only Apple devices or do they have to support PC as well?  I'd like to see this compared to their total number of PC help desk staff.

• Reply 56 of 81
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No joke, I just saw on Twitter that Microsoft is hosting devices parties where people can go try their new hardware. Seriously, they think people want to hang out at a party and use Windows? image

LOL!  Microsoft is the new Tupperware!

(and things will still get rotten inside)

• Reply 57 of 81
    boredumb wrote: »

LOL!  Microsoft is the new Tupperware!

(and things will still get rotten inside)

I just watched those new ads and I can't get that stupid slogan out of my head. It's driving me nuts and not in a good way. Who the hell signed off on a stupid phrase like "PC does what?"?!? It just shows how desperate they are to get PC users to buy new PCs. Is it going to have any meaningful impact on Apple.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

While I have had a Mac at home since 2009, it was in 2011 that I had the chance to get a MacBook Pro for work (in very large company, where only Windows machines are officially supported, and comprise ~95% of the units).  There is an internal user group to help, but that is about it.  While it did take a couple of months to get used to the OSX workflow, once I got used to it I never wanted to go back.  Even the workflow in the Office for Mac (2011) version is superior to the Windows version.  

Now, there are a few features in document management that Windows does better, but overall the experience of the Mac is 10x improved.  

Clearly I have never called tech support for the Mac, as they would not take the call, but just figured things out for myself or with others.  Not something that was possible to do with Windows.

• Reply 59 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

This is definitely a plus for Apple and I think this is excellent news that Apple should run with. However, as is often the case, interpreting data is the challenge. For example, IBM recently began to allow users to choose their platform of choice. Therefore, I would think that virtually all of their Mac users had extensive Mac experience in their personal lives. This alone may account for the lower amount of tech support calls. I would venture to say that if they deployed Macs to all employees, the call percentage would also rise. Maybe not as high as PCs were, but certainly more than they are now. Just because not everybody would be as familiar with the system.

Wouldn't you also think that virtually all of their PC users had extensive PC experience in their personal lives?  However, as is often the case, interpreting data is the challenge.

• Reply 60 of 81
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member

In my experience we needed 3 times as many PC techs as Mac techs. (Smart) IT Departments do not “Hate Macs.” Those of us who worked in a cross-platform IT Dept. can attest to knowing that less resources spent in reactionary mode means more resources to go to proactive projects that keep us out of “firefighting mode.”

As someone mentioned: “The less time being used to deal with client/PC issues could be better allocated to maintaining/improving infrastructure.” This is true, often researching, setting up new equipment and properly maintaining equipment before it breaks and costs employees time is a full time gig. Time spent fixing a problem that should never have happened is money lost. Anyone who doubts this should go check out how a healthy IT Dept. works vs. one that only acts when called upon.