Samsung rushes out rose gold Galaxy to meet South Korea's iPhone 6s launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Without the time to copy Apple's more significant features, Samsung hopes that a coat of rose gold paint will help its higher-end phone sales survive a second shock wave from iPhone 6s, due to launch in South Korea next week on October 23.

Source: Samsung

As noted by Korean language newspaper AJU Business Daily, the addition of a new "pink gold" Galaxy is tied to the release date of Apple's own iPhone 6s in the country, aping the new finish that has already proven to be very popular in early 6s and 6s Plus sales.

Over the last year, Samsung's international and local Korean sales of premium Galaxy phones have been trounced by iPhone 6.

The leading Android licensee was once depicted in the media as being an innovator with a proven ability to market and sell higher end phones at a profit, something that other Android licensees had been routinely failing to accomplish.

Particularly over the past year however, Samsung's Galaxy sales have collapsed in competition with Apple's own iPhone 6 models featuring larger screens, erasing the chaebol's ability to keep spending billions to market its brand or to maintain investment in premium phone development.

Samsung's recent rebound in profitability has come only by way of sales of components and other non-phone segments, as its mobile division continues to struggle in the space between even cheaper Androids and the globally popular iPhone 6.

Apple's iPhone 6s launches tomorrow in India, Kazakhstan, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Montenegro, South Africa and Turkey, and the following week will launch in Samsung's home territory of South Korea alongside Belarus, Guam, Moldova, Serbia and Ukraine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    Man I'm glad Halloween is coming up...this one shocked me.

Boo.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    Now I know they're just doing this because of the iPhone 6s. If there was any doubt before, cast it aside. Renaming it "pink gold" instead of "rose gold" will throw nobody off the scent of what they are doing.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Like the color makes a difference.
  • Reply 4 of 84

Yikes. That wallpaper sure clashes hard with the pink gold, or rose gold. Whatever they're calling it. I guess there's a good reason why Apple keeps the fronts of their phones white or black.

• Reply 5 of 84
    They should have color coded the stylus so it gets inserted the right way.

I keep telling Samsung owners to 'shove it' correctly.. but for some reason, they take it the wrong way...
  • Reply 6 of 84
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    You know when a person embarrasses themselves so badly that you can't help but feel sorry for them? Yeah...Samsung.

It's not just he obvious copycatting, but the timing :no:
  • Reply 7 of 84
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Samsung never fails to disappoint. Copying once again...
  • Reply 8 of 84
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Lipstick on a pig

• Reply 9 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ugly phone by a POS company, but the screen is good and the camera is pretty decent too. Certainly their best device yet. Seems these days Apple isn't so far ahead regarding snapping photos like they once were.

I hope Apple pulls out all the stops next year. I think if they are going to have a camera bump on the rear they may as well make it bigger and put a really good point and shoot quality camera in there. And OLED. And 64GB base model.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I'd expect to see that color on a curling iron.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    They really know no shame.

Doing a disservice to their company, customers, and partners.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Surely, there has to be some employee somewhere in their ranks that raised his hand and said: "I think you all are aware how utterly embracing for us what we are about to do is, right?"

• Reply 13 of 84
    "Hey boss, we should stop bribing politicians and poisoning and groping our employees just long enough to cobble together a pink phone. Apple released one. Time to innovate!" I have your "next big thing" right here, Samsung.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

Surely, there has to be some employee somewhere in their ranks that raised his hand and said: "I think you all are aware how utterly embracing for us what we are about to do is, right?"

Samsung certainly seemed to have embraced the colors, and do not seem at all embarrassed about it

• Reply 15 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    It's not about the color, Samshit...it's force touch and others feature too..
  • Reply 16 of 84
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    You can roll a jobby in glitter but it's still a jobby.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Samsung certainly seemed to have embraced the colors, and do not seem at all embarrassed about it

Right, said Fred, they are a fucking disgrace, is what they are.

• Reply 18 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

Right, said Fred, they are fucking disgrace, is what they are.

Agreed. It is said that Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but in this case its just theft.

• Reply 19 of 84
    In other news, Samsung proclaims it will revolutionize the TV once Apple comes out with one they can copy....
  • Reply 20 of 84

when Apple copies Samsung (eg, phablet), it's an innovation.  When Samsung copies Apple (eg, color) , it's a theft / disgrace / embarrassing / end of civilization.  LOL!!

Sure, Samsung always copies and everything Apple does is original, but this is hilarious.