Microsoft woos Mac owners with $300 Windows 10 'Trade Up' promotion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Microsoft on Thursday debuted a limited-time, in-store incentive program offering customers in the market for a new (non-Surface) computer running Windows 10 up to $200 when they turn over an old PC, or up to $300 for a used MacBook or iMac.

According to Microsoft's terms, buyers are eligible to receive Easy Trade Up rewards on new Windows 10 PC purchases costing $599 or more. Qualifying trade-ins include old Windows all-in-ones, laptops or two-in-ones, as well as MacBooks and iMacs, that are at most six years old.

According to VentureBeat, Microsoft is dishing out an extra $100 for Apple hardware to offset comparatively high resale values, though the Redmond, Wash., tech giant likely has ulterior motives. The company has for years relied on incentives to swell hardware launch numbers and, perhaps more importantly, wrest Mac owners away from Apple's sticky ecosystem.

For example, Microsoft Stores last year were willing to pay up to $650 in store credit for select MacBook Air models with the purchase of a Surface Pro 3, while a 2013 iPad trade-in deal offered a $200 gift card with the sale of a Surface Pro or Surface RT.

The Windows 10 promotion does not apply to the latest Surface Pro 4 or all-new Surface Book laptop, at least for the moment. Initial interest is apparently high enough to let sales continue without a stimulus plan, as Microsoft said yesterday that it sold out of Surface Book launch supply one week after preorders went live.

The latest Windows 10 incentive runs until Oct. 20 and is available at Microsoft Stores in Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Taiwan, the UK and the U.S. Full country-by-country details, including a rundown of the claims process, are posted on Microsoft's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71

there has never been a better time to downgrade.

• Reply 2 of 71
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (Catch my breath...) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

MICROSNOT can have my Mac when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. First they wanted iPods for Zunes, then iPads for Surface and now THIS? That company has absolutely NO moral compass and no business sense. If they didn't have PC users over a barrel, they'd go broke. And truth be told, PC owners aren't really over a barrel. They could use a flavor of Linux and wave goodbye to MS.

My dad worked for IBM for 20 years and when his Win98 PC kept getting infections, I was able to convince him to try Linux because IBM was using Linux, so it was OK. From there, it was a short hop to get him on a Mac, and he's never been happier. He has a Mac mini, iPad mini, and iPhone 5s.

Nope. Not getting my Mac. EVER.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I guess me and Microsoft agree on one thing. Macs worth 50% more than PCs.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I guess me and Microsoft agree on one thing. Macs worth 50% more than PCs.

at least. say goodbye to your sturdy aluminium, here is a plastic junker that will no doubt creak and warp in the months to come.

• Reply 5 of 71

Clever, Microsoft. Anyone else has to pay at least $1000 to get a Mac, you want to have it for just $300!

• Reply 6 of 71
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It seems like Windows 10 came pretty quick. What ever happened to Windows 9? I guess that they just skipped completely over that number. Maybe they were trying to run away from 8 and simply moving to 9 wasn't far enough removed from the nightmare that was 8.

Not that I really pay much attention to Windows releases since I never use Windows, but I think that Windows 8 must have been a huge failure and a big misstep, and that's why MS decided to make the move to Windows 10. 

I still think that this whole convergence of Touch with vintage desktop OSes is a terrible idea, and I never wish to see Apple head in that direction. And no, I don't ever want to see Apple make any ridiculous 2 in 1 product that's worse than the 2 product categories that it's attempting to replace. Talk about a downgrade.

• Reply 7 of 71
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    So Macs are worth more than PCs.

Got it!!
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Second Prize is TWO Windows "upgrades"

Not. At. Gunpoint.
  • Reply 9 of 71

Trade up for adverts in our start menu 

Best time to 'downgrade' right now!

• Reply 10 of 71
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Clever, Microsoft. Anyone else has to pay at least $1000 to get a Mac, you want to have it for just $300!

Things are going bad at Microsoft. They can't afford new Macs for their developers so have to get them second hands ones on the cheap.

• Reply 11 of 71
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Microsoft, what about you offer me that PC with a condition that I must log on it at least once while let me keep my Mac?
  • Reply 12 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow they sure are desperate. And the commercials for this new PC does what? campaign are cringe worthy.

CRX8Cl4UwAAfKnS.png

https://t.co/qgKlmT1Hqa
  • Reply 13 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    revenant wrote: »

at least. say goodbye to your sturdy aluminium, here is a plastic junker that will no doubt creak and warp in the months to come.

Yep. http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/14/9529635/lg-laptop-price-specs-lg-gram-review
  • Reply 14 of 71
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

But you don't need a new computer to run Windows, you can just install it on your Mac.

If they are serious about poaching Mac users then just offer a free copy of Win 10 to anyone who owns a Mac. Make it a special ISO download that only installs on Macs.

• Reply 15 of 71
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Lmao.

Yeah I'll get right on that.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member

Singing to the choir here, but there's no way I'm going to sell my 2009 Macbook Pro for $300.  I replaced it with a Retina Macbook Pro last year (so sweet!), but I'd rather use it as a serving tray than give it up for 3 Benjamins!

How about you sell me a new "Surface" for $100?  (just in case I need a second serving tray!)

• Reply 17 of 71
    You have to applaud MS. At least they are trying. But 'Trade up' is really insulting to us Mac owners.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This promotion is loose deal. How ? Let's take example. You go to microsoft site to buy qualified laptop like HP ENVY x360 for $899. Now you have to send(shipping cost) your old laptop to receive $200 back from Microsoft which say $899-$200 = $699. You can by same from HP directly with their promotion for $749 with upgrades included like $50 graphics card. Plus going through cashback site, you get extra 4% back. So, without sending your old laptop to Microsoft, and going through hassle, you can get same after rebate price for the laptop listed on Microsoft site. I am sure others their have similar zero end benefit..

I can see deal if Microsoft gives $200 for old laptop and let you buy same new laptop listed on their website from manufacturer or retail shop like BestBuy. OR make the total cost of purchase cheaper by reducing original price listed on their web site lower.

Wise people say, "Read fine print and do your homework". AND Windows laptop's are crappy built which breaks easily in a year. There is no real life use comparison of excellent built Macbook to crappy built windows laptops.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    appexappex Posts: 687member

When you try Mac, you never go back. Hint: the secret is the interface.

• Reply 20 of 71
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    The only piece of equipment I'm currently thinking of buying from traditional PC makers is a 4K monitor to go along with my recently puchased 15 inch retina Macbook Pro.
    Oh and MS, I recently sold my old 2008 iMac for more than the $300 you're offering me. Nice try.

P.S. Any suggestions for 24-27 inch 4K monitor?