iPad Pro, Apple Pencil pass FCC scrutiny, Smart Keyboard to use US English only at launch

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015
The iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil have both won approval from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, clearing the way for the products' anticipated November launch. People wanting the Smart Keyboard case, meanwhile, will reportedly be limited to a single language option.

The FCC has certified the Pro in both its Wi-Fi and 3G/4G incarnations, GforGames noted on Friday. Though Apple hasn't shared many details about the Pencil's specfications, it does rely on Bluetooth to connect. The Pro's FCC ID is BCGA1652 -- BCG being Apple's company code -- while the Pencil is BCGA1603.

The timing could support rumors that the products will ship in early November, but FCC certification is no guarantee of an imminent release. Accessories like the Magic Mouse 2, for example, passed through the FCC in August prior to their launch this week.

Apple's Smart Keyboard case is due to launch around the same time as the Pro, but will initially be available only with a U.S. English layout, according to German site iFun.de. Apple has added notes to this effect on its websites in Germany, France, and other regions.

The tablet will launch simultaneously in a number of countries, but Apple tends to prioritize the U.S. when it comes to supplies, features, and language options for products. Siri, for instance, was initially geared toward the U.S., but now works in many Apple markets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

Looking forward to trying out the iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. I have always wanted a 'stylus' for making quick technical sketches, taking notes, and so far a surface 2 that I recently borrowed came closest to usable - but was still for me, a long way off. I use a livescribe paired with iPhone and iPad.

• Reply 2 of 19
    I'm sure someone will design a competing keyboard case for the Pro for other languages. It's inevitable.
  • Reply 3 of 19

I just noticed that Apple’s using Avenir in its on-product images. That’s great; I discovered it a few months ago and it has become my go-to sans serif since.

• Reply 4 of 19
    Will first time buy iPad Pro in early November
  • Reply 5 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    The Pencil looks totally awesome in the hands of a capable artist. I wonder how the rest of us will put to effective use? I don't need pixel perfect stick figures. Maybe it's worth it just for the ergonomics and zero lag. I think I've tried every note taking app in the App Store but none of them have grabbed me and I find myself still using a steno tab and pen and transcribing into digital format. I'm hoping the next generation of smaller iPads will also support the Apple Pencil. It would also be cool if the Apple Pencil supported macro record and playback so it could store say your handwritten signature in the pencil itself, which it would wirelessly send to the iPad. It wouldn't even require a button if integrated via 3D / Force Touch.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm sure someone will design a competing keyboard case for the Pro for other languages. It's inevitable.

I suspect Apple will.

• Reply 7 of 19
    I wish they would have magnetized the pen. I like how the pen sticks to the side of the Surface Pro. Jonny made all these covers with magnets that seemed a no brainier to me
  • Reply 8 of 19
    razormaid wrote: »
    I wish they would have magnetized the pen. I like how the pen sticks to the side of the Surface Pro. Jonny made all these covers with magnets that seemed a no brainier to me

Coming soon to a kickstarter near you: The Magnetized Holder Sheath for The Apple Pencil. Snaps to the side of the iPad Pro. ;)
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Coming soon to a kickstarter near you: The Magnetized Holder Sheath for The Apple Pencil. Snaps to the side of the iPad Pro. ;)

I wouldn't mind a nice leather case with a smartly designed pen loop for the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razormaid View Post

I would even be happy, if they would have just designed it with a regular clip. Not being able to at least safely put it into a shirt or inside pocket is (for me) a guarantee to lose it. Alternatively they should offer packs of three...

• Reply 11 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    razormaid wrote: »

I saw a tweet from someone who lost their Surface Pen. I wouldn't trust magnets.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Sorry for simple question. Does the pen only work with iPad pro?

This seems silly if so.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    dreyfus2 wrote: »

I would even be happy, if they would have just designed it with a regular clip. Not being able to at least safely put it into a shirt or inside pocket is (for me) a guarantee to lose it. Alternatively they should offer packs of three...

You do know this is sophisticated piece of technology not some Bic pencil. How anyone could lose a $99 pencil is beyond me.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    frankie wrote: »

This seems silly if so.

Yes. Though I won't be surprised if the next iPad Air gets the same display technology so it can also work with ?Pencil. There's obviously a reason it wasn't updated this year.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You do know this is sophisticated piece of technology not some Bic pencil. How anyone could lose a $99 pencil is beyond me.

Huh? Losing something that is small, round and slippery does not require a lot of imagination... I have lost pencils and fountain pens costing over $1k.

• Reply 16 of 19
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I have lost pencils and fountain pens costing over $1k.

Where are you buying thousand dollar pencils? I’ll sell you some for $500 a pop, if you like. I’ll even pay shipping.

• Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where are you buying thousand dollar pencils? I’ll sell you some for $500 a pop, if you like. I’ll even pay shipping.

Well, mechanical pencils by Montblanc, ST Dupont et al, especially limited editions, can cost a bit more than that. Unfortunately Apple is not my only expensive hobby.

• Reply 18 of 19
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    frankie wrote: »

This seems silly if so.

the pencil uses hardware in the Pro tablet to work. how would you expect a new piece of specialized equipment to work with devices designed & built years before the specialized equipment even existed? thats crazytalk.

does your optical mouse work with the original Macintosh? with typewriters?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just noticed that Apple’s using Avenir in its on-product images. That’s great; I discovered it a few months ago and it has become my go-to sans serif since.

Are you sure you aren't confusing Avenir with either San Francisco or Myriad Pro? ;)