CBS, NBC round out 'big four' networks on Apple TV, exclusive M2M channel also debuts

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56

The new channels do not appear on mine, it's on the network, tried doing a restart, pulling the power, and checked for updates, but they are still a no show!  

UPDATE:  Weird, now they are there, but they lack the normal "new" banner across the icons, as Apple has done in the past.  I think Apple QA is slipping, since Nat Geo STILL has the new badge.  *rolls eyes*

• Reply 42 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I have CBS through Comcast locals. How can I activate it in ATV? CBS wants me to sign up for streaming separately? Fuk No.
  • Reply 43 of 56

Get an OTA roof mount antenna, problem solved.  That's what I have... 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

So near, but yet so far. CBS is only live streaming in several major markets and NBC requires you to subscribe to cable. What I really want is the ability to abandon cable. Comcast is the corporate embodiment of the devil.

• Reply 44 of 56

Come on Apple, where is the Amazon Prime Video Streaming and SyFy Networks, along with FOX News?!

• Reply 45 of 56
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Get an OTA roof mount antenna, problem solved.  That's what I have... 

That doesn't work for everyone.  I live in a downtown loft in a big city.  My building, and many like it, has very modern energy efficient windows that block a lot of UV light, but also partially block (or at least severely interfere with) the part of the spectrum that carries HD TV signals.  And since I live in a high rise, I have no access to the roof.

I've tried signal boosters and my results have been mixed, but mostly unsuccessful.  I hate Comcast, but in the end, I haven't found another way to get ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox.

• Reply 46 of 56
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Come on Apple, where is the Amazon Prime Video Streaming and SyFy Networks, along with FOX News?!

Fox News?  LOL.

• Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Fox News?  LOL.

Yes, FOX News has Judge Andrew Napolitano -- one of the great voices of freedom in our time!  

http://www.judgenap.com

• Reply 48 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.  How much do you pay for the VPN?
    $40/yr. thru PrivateInternetAccess. They have a really good reputation. I use it with both my laptop (home) and phone. There's free VPN's out there but I don't trust 'em.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    $40/yr. thru PrivateInternetAccess. They have a really good reputation. I use it with both my laptop (home) and phone. There's free VPN's out there but I don't trust 'em.

That's what I use on my MBP, but I haven't yet tried to set it up on my iPhone.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Just checked in on this, and NBC still doesn't get it. Not ala carte subscription option, and Even if you have a cable subscription for crying out loud...no Live broadcast.

I don't even care to be honest, I just have the occasional house guest that likes brainwashing drivel shown on NBC in the morning. But for as long as NBC continues to punish what few people actually want to watch their garbage, I will continue not caring.

• Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

useless.

$6 for a channel I can for free with an OTA?  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

what do you watch on TV that isn't available on Netflix, Hulu?

I would abandon cable today if I had a way to watch live NFL/NBA.

I happen to live in an area that I can get the live feed of CBS. I dropped DirecTV over the summer and now rely solely on hulu, fx now, netflix. I bought an amplified OTA antenna (internal, not external) - Couldn't get the major networks - too far away.

Ironically, the network that I have 2 available to me is ABC. The Boston one is, by distance, further than the Manchester one. Yet the antenna I got picked up the Boston one for a few seconds, but not the Manchester one. Boston is also covered by live TV in the ABC app, but not the Manchester one. Sadly, because I am physically closer to the Manchester feed, I can't get the live streams of their channels.

Now, here is what I think needs to happen. When you watch these local live feeds, you get the commercials, etc. Local commercials. Shouldn't that allow them to, using location services, air anything they broadcast, in the app? Isn't the internet, in these instances, just acting as your antenna? But, no, NFL games are blocked. MLB games are blocked. This should not be the case. I can not watch live local teams in the web packages for these sports, because I should be going to the local channel. I think the FCC should get involved. Say, look, if you are able to broadcast an NFL game with Charter, Comcast, DirecTV, etc with the commercials, as well as over the air, then web/internet based location in the OTA area can not be blocked due to "lack of streaming rights" - you are just live broadcasting your station over an "internet" antenna. And I am not talking about time shifting, location shifting, anything. If you are in a location that if you had an antenna on your roof you would get a channel, and you have access to an app in that location that live streams normally, commercials and all, then you can't block anything from airing.

• Reply 52 of 56
    On the CBS app for iPhone/iPad, I can watch current episodes without subscribing to CBS All Access. On the CBS "channel" on ATV, I couldn't anything without subscribing to CBS All Access.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Cutting the cord and going the way of the ?TV was never going to be cheaper, but hopefully not more expensive, It was supposed to be simpler, give more choice, and be more elegant. At this point in time I don't think any of this has been achieved. Navigating the available options looks nightmarish. The ?TV is preloaded with junk and subscription services that lock you in to a collection of programming you don't want in order to get the one thing you do want. I see this a transitional stage and hope Apple can clean it up.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    paxman wrote: »
    Cutting the cord and going the way of the ?TV was never going to be cheaper, but hopefully not more expensive, It was supposed to be simpler, give more choice, and be more elegant. At this point in time I don't think any of this has been achieved. Navigating the available options looks nightmarish. The ?TV is preloaded with junk and subscription services that lock you in to a collection of programming you don't want in order to get the one thing you do want. I see this a transitional stage and hope Apple can clean it up.

Hopefully the voice controls allow for faster navigation without having to choose from a grid of icons, but I have my doubts of this being a revolutionary change. What I envision is a device that is intelligent enough to store accounts for all family members, have the remote know who picks it up by voice and/or Touch ID, and be able to instantly switch between accounts and intelligently predict what the user will want to watch next, which includes picking up from a paused movie, or the next episode of a series.

Scenario: A [parent] and [child] are watching [some movie]. [Parent] has to leave so the [child] gets control of the remote control. When the [parent] returns [he] wants to start from where [he] left off. Because of sensors in the room, as well as in the remote from when the [child] took control of the remote the system predicts the [parent] wants to start from that point.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    NBC shows have 90 sec commercial every 10 min just like Hulu. Are you fucking kidding for paid subscription?