Apple Pay gains support for 75 more US banks, including HSBC

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple on Tuesday added 75 more U.S. financial institutions to the list supporting Apple Pay, most notably HSBC, which until now was only supported in its U.K. homeland.

The latest update puts Apple over 600 U.S. banks and credit unions in all. The additions cover a wide variety of states and cities, as well as company- and government-affiliated institutions like the FedEx Employees Credit Association and the Miami Postal Service Credit Union.

Apple has yet to announce plans to expand Apple Pay beyond its initial two countries, although a recent TD Canada Trust leak suggests that a Canadian expansion could take place in November.

The full list of today's additions includes:
  • Achieva Credit Union
  • Alcoa Pittsburgh Federal Credit Union
  • Alliance Credit Union
  • AmeriServ Financial Bank
  • APCO Employees Credit Union

• Bank of American Fork
  • Bridgewater Savings Bank
  • Community Bank & Trust
  • Cross Keys Bank
  • Directions Credit Union
  • Eagle Bank
  • East Texas Professional Credit Union
  • Eastman Credit Union
  • Eaton Family Credit Union
  • FedEx Employees Credit Association
  • First Bank of Newton
  • First National Bank of Granbury
  • First Northern Credit Union
  • First State Bank of Colorado
  • First United Bank
  • First Western Trust
  • Fleur de Lis Federal Credit Union
  • Generations Federal Credit Union
  • Guaranty Bank Trust
  • Hastings City Bank
  • Haven Savings Bank
  • Heartland Bank
  • Heritage First Bank
  • HomeTown Bank
  • HSBC
  • IH Credit Union
  • Impact Bank
  • Jeanne D' Arc Credit Union
  • Johnson Bank
  • Kennebec Savings Bank
  • LBS Financial Credit Union
  • Lewiston State Bank
  • MainStreet Bank
  • Marlborough Savings Bank
  • Marquette Savings Bank
  • MAX Credit Union
  • Members First Credit Union of Florida
  • Merco Credit Union
  • Miami Postal Service Credit Union
  • Monson Savings Bank
  • Ocean Communities Federal Credit Union
  • OceanFirst Bank
  • Omni Community Credit Union
  • One Bank & Trust
  • P1FCU
  • PeoplesBank
  • PeoplesChoice Credit Union
  • Perfect Circle Credit Union
  • Phenix-Girard Bank
  • Planters Bank & Trust Company
  • Point West Credit Union
  • Public Service Credit Union
  • Quest Federal Credit Union
  • Red Crown Federal Credit Union
  • Semiconductor of Maine Federal Credit Union
  • Service Credit Union
  • SIU Credit Union
  • Solarity Credit Union
  • Solidarity Community Federal Credit Union
  • Sterling Bank & Trust
  • Team One Credit Union
  • Texas Dow Employees Credit Union
  • The Park Bank
  • TMG Financial Services
  • Velocity Community Federal Credit Union
  • VisionBank
  • Western Rockies Federal Credit Union
  • Whitney Bank
  • York County Federal Credit Union

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

...and zero new retailers. 

Honestly, with nothing by the top 3 banks in the US, Apple could make a bigger dent with ApplePay if there were adding retailers instead of banks.

• Reply 2 of 18
    j-moj-mo Posts: 1member

Apple's responsibility is making sure consumers can use it.  It's the retailers that need to get their locations up to speed.

• Reply 3 of 18
    HSBC finally manage to add it, just as I quit them and move my accounts to another bank.

Mostly because HSBC in the US are generally awful, but the lack of Apple Pay played a part in the decision.

Agree with pmz generally here though. The number of retailers doesn't seem to be ramping all that quickly, though I guess once pretty much everyone has it as an option, because all the banks are online, there will be a stronger argument for the retailers to implement it.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    pmz wrote: »

Honestly, with nothing by the top 3 banks in the US, Apple could make a bigger dent with ApplePay if there were adding retailers instead of banks.

Can Apple Pay in the USA be used at any VISA/MasterCard/American American Express contactless NFC payment terminal?

If so then the number of retailers may be wider than those who give their public affirmation of support.

In the UK it's possible to use Apple Pay at any contactless terminal which accepts the respective VIsa, MasterCard or American Express cards.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I am seeing many stores in my area adding ApplePay support. If you are waiting for specific retailers first make sure that they are not on CurrentC.

• Reply 6 of 18
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

Agree with pmz generally here though. The number of retailers doesn't seem to be ramping all that quickly, though I guess once pretty much everyone has it as an option, because all the banks are online, there will be a stronger argument for the retailers to implement it.

As [@]ChiA[/@] and [@]NasserAE[/@] state, retailers don't have to "officially" do anything in order to add Apple Pay support. They simply need a terminal that supports NFC, sometimes, this is simply just a driver or other SW to allow that functionality to occur, and then you have others, like CVS, that simply disabled it due to contractual obligations with MCX for the soon-to-be-a-distant-memory CurrentC.

Financial institutions, on the other hand, have to rejigger their entire back end to support Apple Pay so customers can add their cards, as you may have seen on Apple's list of financial institutions, it's not all cards from within a bank. Here is an article from June that, among other things, lists retailers that will be supporting Apple Pay in 2015.

PS: Don't forget it's only been a year. This amazing growth for something that was only launched on devices 12 months ago and had to get multinational, national and regional financial institutions to alter how their backend works to support Apple Pay. That is the hard par; I'd say was, but as we're seeing in other countries the banks are less willing to invoke change for the good of their customers. Personally, I'd like to see the banks create a third option besides 'card present' and 'card not present' to accurate detail what the Apple Pay set up is, and then give retailer that use it a discount to help promote it because it will lower the bank's cost significantly over time, but the truth is the retailers will fall into place on their own so it's not shocking they aren't doing that.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member

Unfortunately, I've not seen any change in retailer support since the first few months of the launch (though I don't shop in BestBuy, which apparently now has it)

Same couple of groceries store, Walgreens,  Bloomingdales..I use it as much a possible.

The other issue is terminals randomly aren't working, or the clerks aren't using it correctly...but they are clueless when you ask.

Hopefully the terminals will be pushed out more rapidly to see greater availability. The other challenge is restaurants. We probably use our CC'a for eating our or ordering in several times a week. 

• Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Unfortunately, I've not seen any change in retailer support since the first few months of the launch (though I don't shop in BestBuy, which apparently now has it)

Same couple of groceries store, Walgreens,  Bloomingdales..I use it as much a possible.

The other issue is terminals randomly aren't working, or the clerks aren't using it correctly...but they are clueless when you ask.

Hopefully the terminals will be pushed out more rapidly to see greater availability. The other challenge is restaurants. We probably use our CC'a for eating our or ordering in several times a week. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

ApplePay is not consistent, if the terminal supports contactless, it should support Apple Pay, except where it doesnt. Home depot, did, then didnt, then some places do, but most dont,... Food stores, Acme (ApplePay) works in Delaware, but not at at least one store in Maryland. I was in UK recently, and found ApplePay to work at many places, but still, you cant leave your wallet at home just yet, cos you just cant be sure it will work

• Reply 9 of 18
    thrang wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I've not seen any change in retailer support since the first few months of the launch

There has been plenty. I bet you have several apps loaded on your device(s) that didn't support Apple Pay until 2015.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

There has been plenty. I bet you have several apps loaded on your device(s) that didn't support Apple Pay until 2015.

what do you mean?

• Reply 11 of 18
    what do you mean?

For instance, if you have the Starbucks app on your iPhone they added support for Apple Pay on 11 Feb, 2015, the Best Buy app added it on 27 April, 2015, and Kickstarter app added it on 10 March, 2015.

Here is a list of apps that support Apple Pay, which I assume is up to date…

9to5mac has been keeping a running a list. That's it nothing short of impressive for all the hurdles that had to crossed to change the status quo.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

For instance, if you have the Starbucks app on your iPhone they added support for Apple Pay on 11 Feb, 2015, the Best Buy app added it on 27 April, 2015, and Kickstarter app added it on 10 March, 2015.

Here is a list of apps that support Apple Pay, which I assume is up to date…
    9to5mac has been keeping a running a list. That's it nothing short of impressive for all the hurdles that had to crossed to change the status quo.

I'm not saying they aren't trying, but I try and use it everywhere, and I'm lucky if I can use it for 10% of my transactions. Gas stations, restaurants, major online retailers, many local merchants...they have no clue or no desire.

Most of my online buying is Amazon...doubt we'll ever see that...

• Reply 13 of 18
    A

agreed.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I'm not saying they aren't trying, but I try and use it everywhere, and I'm lucky if I can use it for 10% of my transactions. Gas stations, restaurants, major online retailers, many local merchants...they have no clue or no desire.

Again, it's only been 12 months. This is much more adoption than I expected when 1) it was announced, and 2) when I had this exact same idea years earlier. Right now it's, "Hey! They take Apple Pay!," but in a 2-4 years it'll be, "Hey! What do you mean you don't take Apple Pay?!"

I use it, on average, more than once a day, but that is much lower than 10% of my transactions. Hell, Amazon alone probably accounts for 10% of my transactions. :D
    Most of my online buying is Amazon...doubt we'll ever see that...

My desire is for future Macs to include NFC (read: the Secure Element) and for Apple to grow Apple Pay to better compete with Pay Pal, Amazon Payments, Google Wallet, and all the other centralized online payment systems, but with the benefit of never having to store your name, CC number, expiration date, etc. on those sites, but instead just use the virtual card number and dynamic security code which will prevent you from being tracked any "middle man" and prevent your card numbers from being stolen if the retailer's system is ever compromised. You don't need Touch ID for this to work since Touch ID is convenient security, that is always backed up by the system password. I would like to see Touch ID on Macs, but with non-notebook Macs it gets less than ideal to put the Touch ID sensor on the iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro; the latter two potentially not within arm's length of the user, and putting it on a BT-connected keyboard has it's own set of issues.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    When is PayPal going to let those of us who are businesses with their debit card, finally let us use them with ?Pay?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Are employees and retailers still confused about Apple Pay? I remember seeing videos of employees telling the customer to sign the receipt, others just confused.

• Reply 17 of 18

I use it in NYC Taxis consistently.  Saves me getting out my wallet, which is usually in my rear pants pocket. 

• Reply 18 of 18
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Deleting this post, as I didn't care for the inappropriate revision by staff of my original intent...