Stop force closing apps on your iPhone, it's not making it run faster or last longer

Comments

• Reply 61 of 236
    After the iOS9 update - it is mandatory to force quite my apps, cause this new tiled multitasking interface made a real chore to select the needed app in this ass long carousel
  • Reply 62 of 236
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The preponderance of evidence says otherwise.

Show me definitive evidence please.   I run Facebook.  I have no battery drain issues.   And unless it is a VOIP app, iOS won't let it run continuously in the background.   It would get killed off at the very least when memory runs tight on new apps you are running.

• Reply 63 of 236
    Have to disagree with the author. I find multiple apps that if left in background will kill my battery overnight. I can repeat this over and over, if I leave them active I can count on no battery in the morning and if I kill them off before bed, I only lose a few percent through the night.
  • Reply 64 of 236
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Between the very obvious impact/benefit to manually closing apps on my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.x, and the author's wrong usage of "force quit", this article is crap. How Apple claims system resource management works, and how it actually ends up behaving in the real world, are significantly different things. This article is just here to make AI look busy and informative (and get ad impressions).
  • Reply 65 of 236
    9secondko wrote: »
    Not only is it pure fallacy,

which it isnt. its based on facts presented in numerous links now.
    But even if we get to an os that someday handles everything for you perfectly, you still need to close an app that's functioning funny.

as apple itself said, closing broken apps is a normal use for this. closing ALL APPS is not.
    And hate to break it to you, but leaving apps in the background DOES affect performance and battery life.

have any links? only certain types of apps use background processes. the others are frozen.
    In fact, the "geniuses" at the Apple Store recommend you switch off unused apps.

nope.
  • Reply 66 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Show me definitive evidence please.   I run Facebook.  I have no battery drain issues.   And unless it is a VOIP app, iOS won't let it run continuously in the background.   It would get killed off at the very least when memory runs tight on new apps you are running.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=facebook+background+drain&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

• Reply 67 of 236

I have three words: "Reality. Distortion. Field."

Clearly there ARE apps that DO keep processing in the background causing excessive battery drain even if they aren't supposed to. Despite some people's beliefs, it is a proven fact that not every app conforms to all of Apple's guidelines/requirements.

• Reply 68 of 236
    What if...shutting down your phone doesn't stop the apps from running? What if they cannot ever die?
  • Reply 69 of 236
    Definite batter killers, Facebook, Angry Birds 2 and AdVenture Capitalist. Leaving apps open definitely uses up system resources... If I have too many apps open in the background, the Structure software for the Occipital Structure 3D depth sensor freaks out and won't scan, with an explanation there isn't enough memory.
  • Reply 70 of 236
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    nope. not unless you had a stalled app you needed to reset (happens to me in Messages sometimes), or a background task.

Uh, yup, they did, multiple times at different locations in NJ.

It may have changed, but they absolutely did.
  • Reply 71 of 236
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This is true but it is also why this article is complete nonsense. It only takes one badly behaved app to siphon off a lot of battery power.

but that isnt the point of the article. the point of this article is to address the neurotic behavior of closing ALL APP cards from the last-used list. not badly behaving apps. which is not the norm.
  • Reply 71 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In aperfect world that might work but the world is far from perfect and there are a number of apps that get around the background app refresh controls. 

Impossible.  The Operating System controls this.  If you disable background app refresh for an app, it absolutely cannot use a background API.

• Reply 73 of 236
    Quote:

Hearsay.

I run Facebook.  Every day.   I have no issues.  I am on iOS 9.  Show me lab proof and not hearsay.

I ran Facebook yesterday a few time, did not force quit, and had my screen on for a long time during the day, and only went down like 30% (due to the screen being on) while I was debugging an app on another phone and using the hotspot capability on the subject phone so I could turn network on and off to the phone I was debugging on.  I was pleasantly surprised that  my battery was like 55% when I left work, and had not plugged the phone in the whole day, and used a ton of other things on it, and as I said, had the screen on continuously for a few hours.

There are often other problems that people blame on apps where it is just a coincidence that the app is running and they have background refreshes off etc. (I had a problem with my 6 plus that was solved by reinstalling iOS and the Apple "genius" at the store thought it was probably a system setting that had been corrupted as changing settings, including turning off background refresh for all apps including Facebook, had not solved the issue but a reinstall of iOS did -- backup and fresh factory install).  (yes, mine is just hearsay too)

When an app is registered for various background refreshes etc it will be woken up more, but the app will be force quit by the system eventually in order for resources to be used by other apps.

• Reply 74 of 236
    "frozen state" ?? WTF are you talking about? The article described how you can re-boot the iOS and it still lists all the previously used apps, without (presumably) re-starting each one.  So you are positing a yet-undescribed state where info is stored in RAM or something, ready to use?

hes talking about how iOS works. yes, frozen is a state. its suspended first to memory (consumes nothing), then to disk.

http://www.speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html
  • Reply 75 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by broderik View Post

For a more in-depth explanation, read this: http://www.speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

That's an interesting article. And the apparently thorough explanation lends it some credence. However, it's still a 3rd party.  Unfortunately, the Apple Support article you cited is inadequate in its explanation too.  Apple needs to quit talking down to its users and give REAL information.

• Reply 76 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Hearsay.

I run Facebook.  Every day.   I have no issues.  I am on iOS 9.  Show me lab proof and not hearsay.

I ran Facebook yesterday a few time, did not force quit, and had my screen on for a long time during the day, and only went down like 30% (due to the screen being on) while I was debugging an app on another phone and using the hotspot capability on the subject phone so I could turn network on and off to the phone I was debugging on.  I was pleasantly surprised that  my battery was like 55% when I left work, and had not plugged the phone in the whole day, and used a ton of other things on it, and as I said, had the screen on continuously for a few hours.

There are often other problems that people blame on apps where it is just a coincidence that the app is running and they have background refreshes off etc. (I had a problem with my 6 plus that was solved by reinstalling iOS and the Apple "genius" at the store thought it was probably a system setting that had been corrupted as changing settings, including turning off background refresh for all apps including Facebook, had not solved the issue but a reinstall of iOS did -- backup and fresh factory install).  (yes, mine is just hearsay too)

When an app is registered for various background refreshes etc it will be woken up more, but the app will be force quit by the system eventually in order for resources to be used by other apps.

Okay, Mark, we know it's you, go back to scheming now.

• Reply 77 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

I have three words: "Reality. Distortion. Field."

Clearly there ARE apps that DO keep processing in the background causing excessive battery drain even if they aren't supposed to. Despite some people's beliefs, it is a proven fact that not every app conforms to all of Apple's guidelines/requirements.

No, it is called technical knowledge about how things work, and experience counter to the claims using the same apps.

• Reply 78 of 236
    zroger73 wrote: »
    Oh, okay. Good to know I'm simply crazy or that all of my iDevices and apps are defective.

more than likely youre just being superstitious.

ive been using iOS before iOS, and i dont have a constant stream of broken apps sucking up battery. Apple, the exert on iOS, says the same.

so lesse, whos more in the know -- Apple, the inventor of iOS, or.....a few people on a rumor site?
  • Reply 79 of 236
    I disagree. There are certain apps (Facebook for example) that run constantly in the background draining battery. Facebook is the highest battery user for 7 days, with less than 2 hours on screen, and tons of background usage. Background app refresh is off, location services are off, notifications are also off for it, so certain apps will drain the battery if not closed.
  • Reply 80 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Okay, Mark, we know it's you, go back to scheming now.

WTF?  Who's Mark and why do you insist that your hearsay is better than my hearsay, or my (and other devs here) technical knowledge?