Apple releases OS X 10.11.1 with more than 150 new emoji, improved Office 2016 compatibility

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2015
Apple on Wednesday issued its first incremental update for OS X 10.11 El Capitan, offering a number of bug fixes and improvements related to Office 2016, Mail, VoiceOver and more, as well as more than 150 new emoji characters.

OS X 10.11.1 is now available as a free download on the Mac App Store. In the release notes, Apple states that the update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of a user's Mac.

Specific changes made in OS X 10.11.1, according to Apple, include:
  • Improves installer reliability when upgrading to OS X El Capitan
  • Improves compatibility with Microsoft Office 2016
  • Fixes an issue where outgoing server information may be missing from Mail
  • Resolves an issue that prevented display of messages and mailboxes in Mail
  • Resolves an issue that prevents certain Audio Unit plug-ins from functioning properly
  • Improves VoiceOver reliability
  • Adds over 150 new emoji characters with full Unicode 7.0 and 8.0 support

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    a shame this wasn%u2019t released on %uD83C%uDF2E tuesday
  • Reply 2 of 29
    150, really? Wow, I've got to get this ...twice.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Interesting, I had assumed that the issues with MS Office were Microsofts fault.

But as this release specifically mentions fixes for Office 2016 it would seem that the whole screw up was Apple's fault.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Wow...is that the level of innovation now from Apple that you have to highlight the number of emojis in the headline.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gaanee View Post

Wow...is that the level of innovation now from Apple that you have to highlight the number of emojis in the headline.

Wow, trolls these days trying to twist a simple software update into something negative about Apple. 

• Reply 6 of 29
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Trolled by gaanee View Post

blah blah blah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_release ????

• Reply 7 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    gaanee wrote: »
    The answer is yes - Apple's 'level of innovation' has always been measured by AI's headline writing. Geez. Don't you know anything?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Interesting, I had assumed that the issues with MS Office were Microsofts fault.

But as this release specifically mentions fixes for Office 2016 it would seem that the whole screw up was Apple's fault.

Hard to say, and I guess it depends on one's point of view. Perhaps Apple introduced a change that was not necessarily a "mistake" but created a need for Microsoft to expend considerable effort to work around the change. Maybe the two companies got together and concluded that it would be easier if Apple just rolled back the change, or implemented the change in a different way. 

Or you might be right -- this could have been a bug that was entirely Apple's fault, but only manifested itself through an interaction with Office 2016. We may never know... 

• Reply 9 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member

So has anybody downloaded this and discovered if Office 2016 really works now? 

I'd like to see some reports that it works before I download it. I've been sticking Yosemite until I am sure Office 2016 will work. 

• Reply 10 of 29

Right on. They fixed the outgoing mail server issue. Was wondering what was up with my servers. But, all good now.

• Reply 11 of 29
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    My major version upgrade policy for ANY vendor:

1. Wait for the first point update.

2. THEN wait 3 more days.

3. GO FOR IT.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Yay, emoji and Office, just what I was waiting for.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    From what I have read, I believe Office 2016 worked reasonably well with the beta release of El Cap but something obviously got changed in the release candidate. One of those things I suppose. Can't believe Redmond is completely blameless, but who knows. Our 7 year old iMac had no probs with either El Cap or Office 2016...
  • Reply 14 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gaanee wrote: »

yeah man, you got it -- theyre not not doing ANYTHING else at apple except supporting an emoji character set.

too bad there isnt a TROLL emoji...yet
  • Reply 15 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    webweasel wrote: »
    From what I have read, I believe Office 2016 worked reasonably well with the beta release of El Cap but something obviously got changed in the release candidate. One of those things I suppose. Can't believe Redmond is completely blameless, but who knows. Our 7 year old iMac had no probs with either El Cap or Office 2016...

whatever the office 16 bugs arent, i havent noticed them yet...but ive only opened a couple spreadsheets.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Unicode 7/8 are big as it will be in Linux/BSD systems. Emoji from Unicode is wildly popular in the mobile space. Getting iOS 9.1 and KS X 10.11.1 with them both for anyone working with glyph families will be thrilled
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Or you might be right -- this could have been a bug that was entirely Apple's fault, but only manifested itself through an interaction with Office 2016. We may never know... 

Which can ONLY mean the issue was caused by Microsoft.

It seems odd that it's ONLY Office 2016 that has this issue and every other application is fine. The only logical explanation is that MS is doing something odd that got broken in El Capitan and I suspect it has something to do with .NET. In fact I would hazard a guess that .NET is being broken by the new security measures introduced by El Capitan.

• Reply 18 of 29

I keep hearing about Office 2016 breaking, but I haven't had a single problem with it on any of my computers since 10.11 came out. I use Word and Excel daily.

I wonder if it had something to do with upgrading versus doing a fresh install of OS X.

• Reply 19 of 29
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

too bad there isnt a TROLL emoji...yet

But, there IS:  ????

• Reply 20 of 29
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

The 'terms of use agreement' must be unusually...complicated?

Like most people, I generally just "agree", but this time,

I felt like they are asking me to "agree" to something I really won't like.

Next time I have a couple hours free and a lawyer handy, I might read it,

but till then, I guess, no update.