Apple seeds tvOS gold master to developers as launch of fourth-gen Apple TV nears

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
Apple on Wednesday released the golden master of tvOS to developers, paving the way for the launch of the fourth-generation Apple TV next week, with orders officially beginning Oct. 26.

The company offered no other details about the software at its Developer portal. As a result it's not clear what changes may have been made, but the software is identified as build 13T396.

Developers will, however, want to download the GM in order to test their apps on the shipping tvOS platform.

The fourth-generation Apple TV, starting at $149, will be the first model to support native iOS-style apps like games, instead of just thin interfaces for streaming video and audio. On top of this, the device will support things like motion gestures, Siri voice commands, and universal media searches that cover multiple platforms, not just iTunes.

To match this Apple has developed an all-new remote, upgraded to an A8 processor, and expanded storage with 32- and 64-gigabyte options.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Curious what apps the GM ships with...I'm assuming just Movies, TV Shows, Apple Music, Photos, App Store, Computers, and Settings.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    So what is the criteria to determine if one should buy 32GB or 64GB?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Simple. Unless price is the determining criteria then always buy more memory.

• Reply 4 of 25
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

If you plan on playing a lot of games, or waiting a long time to upgrade again, consider the 64GB.

Otherwise, the 32GB is probably fine.

• Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

I am wondering if Apple's pending streaming service will rely on available space for DVR-like functionality. If this is the case, I think 64GB may be the better option. If not, 32GB should be plenty big, even for those who will be downloading a ton of apps. Also, does anyone know if you can sync the new Apple TV with iTunes (like other iOS devices and the 1st ? TV)? 

• Reply 6 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    justinpe wrote: »

I am wondering if Apple's pending streaming service will rely on available space for DVR-like functionality. If this is the case, I think 64GB may be the better option. If not, 32GB should be plenty big, even for those who will be downloading a ton of apps. Also, does anyone know if you can sync the new Apple TV with iTunes (like other iOS devices and the 1st ? TV)? 
    Apple TV will sync to iCloud not to your computer for sure due to the device installation that could prevent connection to computer.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Does this mean that on initial booting, the new AppleTV will download the most recent tvOS? It seems strange that they are presently shipping those units by plane around the world, with the most important part (OS) not even completed!
  • Reply 8 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    kent909 wrote: »
    32gb for me as I'm only interested in the additional tv channels which shouldn't take up much memory.

If you plan to use it for gaming you'll probably be best served by the 64gb model.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Curious what apps the GM ships with...I'm assuming just Movies, TV Shows, Apple Music, Photos, App Store, Computers, and Settings.

There's been much speculation about that "Computers" app...all the way from whether there will actually be one to how it will work.

In a few weeks, all will be revealed.

• Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Apple TV will sync to iCloud not to your computer for sure due to the device installation that could prevent connection to computer.

Huh? Why couldn't you sync it over wifi via iTunes like other iOS devices (and the 1st gen Apple TV)? This would be a great feature for those who want to travel with the new Apple TV and bring all their movies or TV shows with.

• Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

There's been much speculation about that "Computers" app...all the way from whether there will actually be one to how it will work.

In a few weeks, all will be revealed.

The Computers app that allows for home sharing (like on current apple tv) is most definitely there:

• Reply 12 of 25
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I wonder if OSTV will be ported to earlier Apple TV models, sans Siri and apps? I'll be sticking with my older model until a 4K version is released with more features.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Wondering when the App Store goes live%u2026
  • Reply 14 of 25
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

It's the same Computers app that's in the current Apple TV.  You can play audio and video from computers running iTunes.

• Reply 15 of 25

I doubt any units have left the factory aside from review units. They have the rest of the week to install the Gold Master.

• Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

I doubt any units have left the factory aside from review units. They have the rest of the week to install the Gold Master.

Also, just because the GM was released to developers today doesn't mean that it wasn't ready prior to today and already being installed on units getting prepared to ship.

• Reply 17 of 25

So fucking excited about this, I'm giddy!

Can't wait to give it a whirl and find out about how it works, such as:

1) what's downloading of apps like?

2) does it download only from iCloud for apps greater than 200MB, or can it download resources it needs from your iTunes library?

3) what core apps are included and how will they work?

4) when does the app store launch?

5) what apps will be available when it launches?

6) when is the Steelseries Nimbus launching?

Most exciting new product from Apple since the launch of the mini (for me anyway).

• Reply 18 of 25
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonMTL View Post

Does this mean that on initial booting, the new AppleTV will download the most recent tvOS? It seems strange that they are presently shipping those units by plane around the world, with the most important part (OS) not even completed!

What? Downloading a Day 1 patch for brand new hardware is pretty common. The Xbox One was basically non-functional without installing a Day 1 patch. The Wii U was severely crippled without installing a Day 1 patch. 

But that aside, the hardware has not shipped yet. Orders don't open till Monday and will ship "later [that] week".

• Reply 19 of 25

OK, my bad. Just got the impression that pre-orders started this Friday, and possible to buy in store on Monday... but now I see it's pre-orders on Monday. No biggie.

• Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

If you plan on playing a lot of games, or waiting a long time to upgrade again, consider the 64GB.

Otherwise, the 32GB is probably fine.

I wish they had a 16GB one instead of the 32GB one...