Apple calls for tvOS app submissions ahead of Apple TV sales launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
Preparing for next week's launch of an all-new Apple TV with dedicated App Store, Apple sent out emails to developers on Wednesday asking for tvOS app submissions tested on the latest golden master seed.

Calling for app submissions has become de rigueur for Apple after releasing the GM build for a major operating system, as the company did today for tvOS, but this particular request is unique in that it comes days before a completely new App Store debuts for Apple TV. As Apple notes, the tvOS App Store will soon arrive on televisions around the world as the first Apple TV units ship out to customers next week.

Developers are urged to build their wares using the Xcode 7.1 GM, which includes the tvOS SDK, and to follow up by testing on the tvOS GM. The company also suggests developers get feedback from testers (at this point limited to other coders lucky enough to nab a dev kit) through TestFlight.

In addition to the email blast, Apple posted an app submission guide on its developer website with links to resources, downloads and other informational tidbits. Topics covered include app icon and design optimization, preparing product pages, setting a release date and more. Apple also updated its App Store Review Guidelines earlier today to account for made-for-Apple TV apps, saying among other things that apps not offering core support for the new Siri remote will be rejected.

Apple CEO Tim Cook this week said Apple TV orders will go live next Monday, with shipments heading out later that week. The fourth-generation Apple TV starts at $149 for a 32GB model, while a 64GB version will be available for $199.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Looking forward to seeing what sort of apps are available on the AppleTV. Hoping I can maybe replace an Amazon Fire TV stick with an AppleTV.
  • Reply 2 of 27

I'm hoping for Sling TV and Amazon Prime instant video apps.  If I get those I will be buying one...but without those it will be hard to justify unless Apple's streaming TV service (whenever that thing finally gets here) is very compelling.

• Reply 3 of 27
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    My money is ready. Can't wait to get rid of xBox 360...xbox voice commands suck,
  • Reply 4 of 27
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Day one order for me. Just hope it's not too expensive from exchange rate.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    To any devs here:

How similar or different is it developing for the growing family OSes?
    - iOS
    - tvOS
    - watchOS
  • Reply 6 of 27
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Wonder if Facetime will be available? (With a wifi camera)
  • Reply 7 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Day one order for me. Just hope it's not too expensive from exchange rate.

Which model? I can't decide if I need the top end model. I assume that's intended for those wanting lots of apps and games.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    juandl wrote: »
    Wonder if Facetime will be available? (With a wifi camera)

That will come when Apples does a 180° and does make a TV, with touch and camera built it ... I jest ... I think ...
  • Reply 9 of 27
    I am excited to get this moving and see where it goes. Just feels like it could be the start of something really good.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Has anyone heard if they plan to do an overhaul on their remote app??? I would prefer to use my iPhone for all the said functions instead of needing another remote.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Which model? I can't decide if I need the top end model. I assume that's intended for those wanting lots of apps and games.

32 GB. And I can just order online because Apple gives Siri remote control to every country after all. Whooo!!

• Reply 12 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenboy View Post

Looking forward to seeing what sort of apps are available on the AppleTV. Hoping I can maybe replace an Amazon Fire TV stick with an AppleTV.

Never say never, but I don't think you'll see Amazon Prime on Apple TV for a long time. Amazon wants to sell their own devices as evidenced by them pulling ATV off their site recently, from all sellers. And Apple sees Prime as a major threat to Apple Music and the iTunes Store. Don't think they want to encourage its use.

I would love if they offered it too. Right now I use my TV to access Prime and my ATV for everything else.

• Reply 13 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Giffen View Post

I'm hoping for Sling TV and Amazon Prime instant video apps.  If I get those I will be buying one...but without those it will be hard to justify unless Apple's streaming TV service (whenever that thing finally gets here) is very compelling.

Not going to happen. Amazon has already banned the sale of the Apple TV on their site along with Google’s Chromecast. Both are direct competitors to their streaming service and their Fire TV. Amazon is also apparently deprecating their Prime app on a number of other devices like Blu-ray players and smart TVs. It’s looking like if you want to watch Amazon Prime content you will have to do it on an Amazon device or a Roku. I value the Apple/iTunes ecosystem over any Amazon service so the choice is easy for me. I suspect I am with the vast majority of Apple users in that opinion. If I want to watch Amazon Prime content I’ll just buy a Fire Stick and plug it into a spare HDMI port.

On tech blogs like AI all we usually hear from are the naysayers and critics who have predicted the failure of every Apple product ever released. The new Apple TV is no exception. These folks have all the reasons it will fail... no 4K, no Toslink optical port, no Amazon Prime app, blah blah blah blah blah. 

• Reply 14 of 27
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Not going to happen. Amazon has already banned the sale of the Apple TV on their site along with Google’s Chromecast. Both are direct competitors to their streaming service and their Fire TV. Amazon is also apparently deprecating their Prime app on a number of other devices like Blu-ray players and smart TVs. It’s looking like if you want to watch Amazon Prime content you will have to do it on an Amazon device or a Roku.

nope. for the few pieces of Prime content wor watching, it's far easier to beam it from any iPad to the Apple TV than buying another set top box for another input, switching inputs, remotes, etc. beaming is faster since its the same input. uses the Apple TV remote or the iPad/iPhone itself. plus I don't have to do it very often so it's the clear best choice. if they don't make a prime app.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

if they don't make a prime app.

That's the important point here. I sure hope they're not that stupid about this war with Apple and Google, that they would choose not to make an AppleTV app to put in the App Store so users can have a native ATV Amazon Prime app to enjoy. Though there is a workaround via AirPlay, I'm sure they'll lose potential sales if they don't create an app, and they'll just look petty.

• Reply 16 of 27
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Never say never, but I don't think you'll see Amazon Prime on Apple TV for a long time. Amazon wants to sell their own devices as evidenced by them pulling ATV off their site recently, from all sellers. And Apple sees Prime as a major threat to Apple Music and the iTunes Store. Don't think they want to encourage its use.

Don't agree about Apple having a problem with it, they're not doing anything to keep competing services off their platform - in fact, they're heavily promoting Netflix and (in the UK) NowTV as key selling points of the new Apple TV. It's all on Amazon. They are free to make an App, as they have for iOS, and make it available to their users. If no such App is forthcoming on tvOS it's entirely Amazon's doing.

• Reply 17 of 27

Amazon should follow Netflix's lead and have their app everywhere and on everything.  Prime video is just not compelling enough on its own.

I have the Amazon app on my smart tv and I rarely use it. I would probably use it more if they fully integrate it with Siri's search capabilities like iTunes, Netflix,HBO and Showtime are going to do.

I would like to see the Geekbech app ported to see how AppleTV stacks up against iPhones and iPads.

I will probably go with the 32GB because I don't anticipate playing many games. 

• Reply 18 of 27
    Yeah but then Amazon loses any reason for anyone to buy their junk hardware.
  • Reply 19 of 27

Does AppleTV support Continuity.  Meaning if I get a phone call and my iPhone isn't around can I use the Siri remote and answer the phone call? I don't see why it shouldn't be able to.  They could have a text option "Watching a movie right now will call when finished" like what the iPhone can do.

• Reply 20 of 27
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Giffen View Post

I don't know about SlingTV, but Amazon Prime you can run on your iOS device and AirPlay to a AppleTV now!