Apple invents retractable motorized iPhone screen protector

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Love the concept, however I would suggest using electro-magnets to deploy/retract instead of a motorized gear. Faster, cheaper, immune to dirt and can be made much smaller.

I was thinking the same

• Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

This is way too kludgy. Why not miniature airbags!? They'd be better served investing more in materials science and coming up with a screen material that does not crack or shatter.

Why not just put a case on it and call it a day?

Talk about over-thinking a problem.

The only reason they are patenting this crap is...because they can.

It will never see the light of day.

• Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Butter should be flash-applied to the backside of the phone which would assure it would hit the ground, butter side down (screen side up). They could sell replacement packs with your choice of butter, peanut butter or jam. image

I can't wait to pay $129.99 for a jar of AppleButter

• Reply 24 of 47

That must be a Samsung clone. Jony Ive would never design something like that. The jar would be white with diamond cut chamfers :)
  • Reply 25 of 47
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

This is all well and good until a malfunction pierces someones ear.  :wow:

• Reply 26 of 47
    dewme wrote: »
    This is way too kludgy. Why not miniature airbags!? They'd be better served investing more in materials science and coming up with a screen material that does not crack or shatter.

Because airbags are one time use and don't retract. You know, physics. And they said Steve had a reality distortion field...
  • Reply 27 of 47
    icoco3 wrote: »
    This is all well and good until a malfunction pierces someones ear.  :wow:

Only when a James Bond villain henchmen holds the phone up to his ear. You know, and the commotion allows Bond to escape, kicking off an awesome car/ski/boat chase. Maybe put this scene early in Act 2.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    boredumb wrote: »
    Hah!  This is just SO impractical...I scoff at your proposal!
    Clearly, the solution is mini-drones that swoop in whenever needed -
    this is what Amazon has been developing them for!

Yes, that sounds far better. ;)
  • Reply 29 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Only when a James Bond villain henchmen holds the phone up to his ear. You know, and the commotion allows Bond to escape, kicking off an awesome car/ski/boat chase. Maybe put this scene early in Act 2.

If he uses an iPhone to do that AAPL will plummet! :(
  • Reply 30 of 47
    A well-designed case should greatly reduce the chance of screen damage in most "oops!" situations. It doesn't have to be an Otter Box.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    A well-designed case should greatly reduce the chance of screen damage in most "oops!" situations. It doesn't have to be an Otter Box.

Yes. Just even a well designed case is a case. And it would be great not to need this. It has a bit the charm of putting extra blankets on sofa in order to minnimize wear.
  • Reply 32 of 47

It's an interesting concept, but I can't see it being shipped in a real product.

Apple's mantra has been "thinner and lighter" and this will be anything but.  The inside of an iPhone is already incredibly crowded.  They had to reduce the battery size in order to make room for the new taptic engine.  I don't want to think about how much more space would be required for a system of motors.  And that space is going to come from the battery's space.

As others have said, there are already cases that do this by providing a raised edge around the screen.  But Apple won't use that approach because they want the new models to be thinner than before, not thicker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

I wonder how they'd prevent water and dirt from getting into this new opening and clogging the mechanism (or worse, damaging the phone's internal circuitry)? I'm sure they'd have a solution... just curious what it'd be.

If the opening for the tabs are precisely machined to match the cross-section of those tabs, then it would be very hard for any foreign material to slip in.  And the motor/tab assembly can itself be sealed behind a gasket to ensure that something fine enough to slip through doesn't get into the rest of the phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yep.  But that would require making the case thicker, not thinner....

• Reply 33 of 47
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    I guess the risk of premature airbag deployment, while still in your pocket, would be a concern. When I first saw the headline I thought it would be something like a camera shutter, not little dohicky prongs. The prongs must assume you are planning to drop you device so you perfectly align the device to be parallel with the perfectly flat surface that you are dropping your device on. I do like the harpoon idea, but maybe using sticky spider web material so it'll also double as a silly string dispenser. The other idea would be an incredibly strong magnet belt buckle that would capture the device in free fall no matter how it fell from your hand. This assumes of course that you can maintain enough arm strength to hold the device to your ear, and you avoid walking within 10 feet of any other magnetic materials, like passing cars.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Meh.  This is the way you 'really' address the problem:

The Nokia 900 screen can also be used to hammer in nails.

• Reply 35 of 47
    Or...you could just put a $10 case on your phone. Problem solved! This an engineer overthinking a problem that is best solved with a much lower-tech solution.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

That was incredibly painful to watch. Thanks a lot. I think I may have even peed a little bit.

Then of course I promptly went on to watch like 4 more videos of that phone. :) 

• Reply 37 of 47
    i've had soft silicone cases on all my ipods & iphones over the years, & dropped them many times. (I'm a clutz!!!)
    the soft silicone absorbs much of the impact shock thereby protecting the glass.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    aktionman wrote: »
    i've had soft silicone cases on all my ipods & iphones over the years, & dropped them many times. (I'm a clutz!!!)
    the soft silicone absorbs much of the impact shock thereby protecting the glass.

Exactly. And they're very cheap these days.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:

I love it.  I also watched some of their other videos.  In addition to hammering nails, there's one where they drill clear through.  It takes about two minutes for the drill to penetrate far enough to crack the glass and mangle the display.  Then they keep on going until they drilled all the way through to the other side.  The battery started burning, but it didn't explode or erupt into flame, and after replacing the battery, the phone was still operational (but with a mostly-black screen.)

I was really impressed:

I wonder if Apple is negotiating a license for this tech.  I'd like to see it on my iPhone!

• Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Quote:

That was incredibly painful to watch. Thanks a lot. I think I may have even peed a little bit.

Then of course I promptly went on to watch like 4 more videos of that phone. :) 

yeah but where's the claw app, for when the nails go in at an angle?  #fail

( /s )