Apple invents retractable motorized iPhone screen protector

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    shamino wrote: »
    I love it.  I also watched some of their other videos.  In addition to hammering nails, there's one where they drill clear through.  It takes about two minutes for the drill to penetrate far enough to crack the glass and mangle the display.  Then they keep on going until they drilled all the way through to the other side.  The battery started burning, but it didn't explode or erupt into flame, and after replacing the battery, the phone was still operational (but with a mostly-black screen.)

I was really impressed:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ss-cZXUJcR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I wonder if Apple is negotiating a license for this tech.  I'd like to see it on my iPhone!

Yeah! This is what we need to have on the iPhone.
    I wonder if they could produce enough supplies for
    Apple? It does look like a difficult product to produce
    In mass quantities.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

My Otter box case already provides a "buffer zone" between the screen and the ground. Perhaps rather than focusing on thinner and lighter Apple ought to focus on robustness. For me, my iPhone is a delicate piece of machinery that should be cocooned in a protective shell.  

Perhaps shift the entire design to delicate inner workings with a variety of protective & destructible casings - like bands on an aWatch.

The casing is already pretty much indescruptible, and the internals rarely fail. We're talking about the screen here. Putting this thing 1 inch thick won't help all that much unless the screen isn't flush with the phone (so you're get the same you have here, but as a default...

• Reply 43 of 47
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Meh.  This is the way you 'really' address the problem:

(video)

The Nokia 900 screen can also be used to hammer in nails.

!!!Sing it with me, kids!!!

????"If I had a hammer,

I wouldn't need Nokia..."????????????

(I can't hear you...?????????)

• Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

That was incredibly painful to watch. Thanks a lot. I think I may have even peed a little bit.

Then of course I promptly went on to watch like 4 more videos of that phone. :) 

yeah but where's the claw app, for when the nails go in at an angle?  #fail

( /s )

What about pliers? Scissors? A saw?

I don't see a stylus, but how about a darned toothpick and some tweezers?

:)

• Reply 45 of 47
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    Would it be possible to use the haptic vibrators inside the phone to cause enough vibration at the right time before impact to spin the phone on to its back instead of the glass. Or maybe a series of them to ensure it never falls on its glass. This can also be achieved by weight distribution techniques.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Would it be possible to use the haptic vibrators inside the phone to cause enough vibration at the right time before impact to spin the phone on to its back instead of the glass. Or maybe a series of them to ensure it never falls on its glass. This can also be achieved by weight distribution techniques.

Apple already have a patent connected with doing just that.