Facebook addresses severe battery drain issue with updated iOS app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Moreover, I have simply no interest in the increasingly fragmented Apple ecosystem such as WatchOS, tvOS, and whatever-elseOS. Life was far far simpler when my couple of developers had to deal with just the iPhone (various form factors) and iPad.

Noone is forcing you to buy any products that use those OSes, nor is anyone forcing developers to develop for them (the TV isn't even out yet) so not sure what your issue is. That's not the definition of "fragmentation". 

• Reply 22 of 55
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

After all this time, being #1, you'd think FB would be one of the most elegant applications in the world. Here's why I avoid it:

- scrolling is janky

- videos stutter or don't load at all

- the interface looks like 1,000 unix nerds designed it, all by committee

- too many settings...purposely confusing so you're privacy is blown

- it's just UGLY, bleh

- load times are long

- battery drainage

- sneaky company....probably watching me through my iPhone camera

I wish Apple would tackle this. Something so elegant, so cool, so dynamic and easy to use that we all basically switched over to it for chatting, posting shit, and sending files.

To quote Steve Jobs.... they have no taste. Very few companies have any pride. Apple is one of the few that makes the very best stuff they can, always pushing forward.

Although, the prices on the latest external goodies are nuts. It looks greedy as hell. I don't know what the margins are, but c'mon.......

• Reply 23 of 55
    So where is the setting to enable 'Location History' in the app?? Can't find it anywhere, and really I would like to turn it off if it is on....
  • Reply 24 of 55
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    it sounds like a very poor software patch rather than a proper solution...
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BoC View Post

AppleInsider should take a look at the processor load on Mac's when Dropbox is opened in Safari, even though no transfers are happening Dropbox open nearly maxes out all 4 cores in my MacBook Pro on 10.7.5 & temps soar even with the fans all the way up. I don't know about OSX beyond 10.7. Something is wrong though.

maybe it's related to the old OS X you are using, since i can't reproduce that on my MBP on 10.11.1

• Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I am proud to be a part of the 6.3B that does not.

add me to the list.

Facebook free since the beginning

• Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

you'd proud to be categorized with toddlers and old people? Also, there're many in Africa Or Asia don't even know of computer.

Im proud to be categorized with people that want to keep their private life .... private

• Reply 28 of 55
    I don't think it was the silent audio playing in the background…:: dons tin foil hat:: I think it was the mic listening to all the conversations in the background for sponsoried ads.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

the background bug is Facebook itself.

• Reply 30 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    Quote:

you'd proud to be categorized with toddlers and old people? Also, there're many in Africa Or Asia don't even know of computer.

Actually FB is loaded with old people.

• Reply 31 of 55
    fallenjt wrote: »
    you'd proud to be categorized with toddlers, old people and retards?
    Stop the personal attacks. They're childish and inappropriate.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    When the problems started, I deleted the Facebook app. I didn't die. Now, I'm wondering what I used it for in the first place.
  • Reply 33 of 55

What about Yahoo Fantasy Football app? Plus other background battery draining culprits. Facebook didn't design those apps.

• Reply 34 of 55
    boc wrote: »
    AppleInsider should take a look at the processor load on Mac's when Dropbox is opened in Safari, even though no transfers are happening Dropbox open nearly maxes out all 4 cores in my MacBook Pro on 10.7.5 & temps soar even with the fans all the way up. I don't know about OSX beyond 10.7. Something is wrong though.

It's probably Lion, it's a buggy pile of crap compared to Snow Leopard unfortunately. And many of the problems it introduced continued through Yosemite (and probably some still exist in El Cap).
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I am proud to be a part of the 6.3B that does not.

you'd proud to be categorized with toddlers, old people and retards? Also, there're many in Africa Or Asia don't even know of computer.

Good grief. :rolleyes: 

Even though it appears that English is not your first language, there is no need to bash anyone or people in general.

• Reply 36 of 55
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Why does an Internet site need an app that mimics the site? Even worse, why separate chat into a different app.
    Why not just make the site work properly on mobile devices and then it's all there in 1 place, in Safari with no need for an app that wastes space.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    It's insane that GOOG, AMZN, FB and MSFT are all up about 10% today, post-earnings. Absolutely insane.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Version 42? I'm still on version 9. No problems at all and I can still message from within the app. Never sign up for automatic updates because they will remove useful features and replace them with bugs and spyware.
  • Reply 39 of 55

You may downgrade your device as it may still not support the facebook in the update.

• Reply 40 of 55
    What AssBook really needs to address is the massive time suck & BRAIN DRAIN by its users!