Microsoft represents only serious competition for Apple hardware, Steve Ballmer says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Microsoft is the only company poised to give Apple serious competition in terms of hardware, former Chief Executive Steve Ballmer commented on a Bloomberg TV show Friday morning.

"Microsoft will give them a good run for their money," Ballmer told the hosts of Bloomberg Go. "Nobody else has really tried to compete with them anymore really seriously in hardware...If there's going to be any competition at all for Apple it will come from Microsoft."

Ballmer suggested that only Samsung and Microsoft were going after products like the Mac and the iPad, and that of the two, only Microsoft has the "software and the hardware capability" to do it.

He further argued that while it's not essential for Microsoft to dip into Apple's existing marketshare, it is important to gain a toehold in new categories, using the Surface Book as an example. The Book is Microsoft's first self-designed laptop, which can not only detach its screen for use as a tablet, but is claimed to be twice as fast as a similarly-sized MacBook Pro.

On the prospect of an Apple Car, Ballmer said it's a "much bigger leap to do cars than it is most of the things they've tried," although companies other than Tesla should be able to put intelligent software in vehicles. "Maybe Apple gets there, I don't know," he concluded.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 230

I thought we were done with this guy.

• Reply 2 of 230
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Ballmer? I thought we were rid of him?

"Maybe Apple gets there, I don't know," he concluded."

Brilliant insight there. Glad we have his take on the whole thing.

But to be fair, I don't disagree with the 1st point- Microsoft does seem to be the only serious one recently, when it comes to competing with Apple's legendary build quality, and look and feel of its products.
  • Reply 3 of 230
    Says the baldy twat that stamped on an iPhone
  • Reply 4 of 230
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Of course the guy that came up with "Devices & Services" strategy is going to say this. But if these new "PC Does Whaaat?" commercials are anything to go by I'm not sure I like their chances.

http://kensegall.com/2015/10/pc-companies-did-what/

pc-does-what-100622150-orig.png
  • Reply 5 of 230
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Once a dimwit, always a dimwit.

• Reply 6 of 230
    I welcome the competition. Though I don't see Apple resting on its laurels like Intel had pre-AMD...
  • Reply 7 of 230
    Zune. Never forget.
  • Reply 8 of 230
    Why does anyone even ask this blowhard anything. He hasn't been right on a single thing since he had a giggle at Apple's iPhone in 2007, but I suspect he was wrong on practically everything leading up to then. Uncle Fester needs to go run a basketball team into the ground...
  • Reply 9 of 230
    Zune. Never forget.

KIN. Never forget.
  • Reply 10 of 230
    Zune. Never forget.

KIN. Never forget.

VISTA. Never forget.
  • Reply 11 of 230
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

VISTA. Never forget.

All you need to do is go back to the very beginning...

Never forget.

• Reply 12 of 230
    One thing Microsoft seems to be unaware of is that Apple is planning to go after the enterprise market that is in dire need of a better user experience. Who is better to provide that other than Apple.

IBM Apple
  • Reply 13 of 230

What 's a zune, kin or vista?

• Reply 14 of 230
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    He's right, but mainly because the PC OEMs are simply really really bad at PC/Notebook/Tablet design.

Microsoft at least appears to have a clue with the Surface Pro and Surface Book. And let's remember that this upturn in their skills came since Ballmer left the company.

I still wouldn't trust Microsoft to simply turn around one day and kill the products and support for them. Zune, Kin, Plays For Sure, ...
  • Reply 15 of 230
    OS/2. Never forget.
  • Reply 16 of 230
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Btw, Microsoft was totally misleading when they said Surface Book was twice as fast as MBP. Normally when a company does comparisons it should be to the best the competiton has. They used Apple's 2012 non-retina MBP for comparison.

http://tinyurl.com/om894x6
  • Reply 17 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

VISTA. Never forget.

Don't be judgmental to the guy. There are plenty of those never-forgets from Apple too: antenna-gate, maps-gate, bend-gate, chip-gate... to name a few /s

• Reply 18 of 230
    I guess if I was the 21st richest American and worth 21B, I guess I would say what I liked and scoff at the criticism. How many people on this forum would act like a buffoon for 21B?
  • Reply 19 of 230
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member

He seems more humble today...

Yes, I think MS is probably the only real serious competition for Apple on the HW and SW front.   Android is becoming the lowest common denominator, consumer low end platform and not a serious high end offering though they keep trying.  There are enough nerds and Apple haters to keep it going for a while...

MS seems to be slowly getting its collective head out of its arse.

Hopefully they start focussing on the customer and the customer experience with a laser eye.

• Reply 20 of 230

The Surface Pro 3 has sold well and the Surface Book has been getting good reviews. (If it weren't so crazy expensive I'd be tempted to give a Surface Book a try) Like it or not, Microsoft is making hardware people like, and I don't see how that's a bad thing. Apple has been selling essentially the same MacBook Airs and Pros for 5 and 7 years respectively. Apple could use a kick in the butt when it comes to laptops.