Timemachine Auto Backup not working on El Capitan ?

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2015

Hi all.... 

I recently updated to El Capitan.. and up to that moment my Timemachine as something that just worked and I didn't even think about it. I have a Drobo S system... the Drobo Dashboard Control Panel software all works fine under El Capitan... and all reports state that my Timemachine drive is healthy and operating perfect;y.... but I have noticed that the Timemachine feature just doesn't backup automatically at hourly intervals anymore... I'm now manually doing this when I remember to do so... but when I do... all backs up fine. Has anyone had any similar experience after updating to El Capitan.. and did you find any workaround..? 

Kind Regards, 

Anthony

Irish MacUser & Mac Addict...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

I'm having the same problem.

• Reply 2 of 8
    I'm manually backing up as best I can manually and hoping that the new update that might arrive next will will resolve the issue. Otherwise I'm screwed :) I have to have my backups back working :)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member

any news about this issue with 10.11.1 ?

• Reply 4 of 8

I did a SMC Reset this morning to my MacPro 12Core (Mid 2010) system and it resolved the issue 100%.... I'm looking at my Time Machine icon circling around now as I type this... so give it a try for sure. It might sort things for you also.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201295

Anthony

• Reply 5 of 8
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeAnto View Post

I did a SMC Reset this morning to my MacPro 12Core (Mid 2010) system and it resolved the issue 100%.... I'm looking at my Time Machine icon circling around now as I type this... so give it a try for sure. It might sort things for you also.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201295

Anthony

uh? the icon doesn't circle around anymore on El Capitan. It is fixed IIRC :???:

• Reply 6 of 8

Sorry.... wrong visual description.... not circling around... but the progress arrow is appearing... either way... what I was trying to say was that the SMC Reset worked and my Time Machine is now back fully working. That's all.

Anthony

• Reply 7 of 8

If anyone is still having an issue with TM not running on El Capitan, here is a short term fix you can use until Apple fixes the issue:

Open Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

At the terminal prompt, type "sudo crontab -e" and type in your login password when prompted.

Add a line to the bottom of the file like this:

X * * * * /usr/bin/tmutil startbackup --auto >/dev/null 2>&1

Where you replace X with a number between 0 and 59. Save the file and quit Terminal.

This will cause Time Machine to run every hour at X minutes past the hour and do a backup.

• Reply 8 of 8

The icon still spins next to the TimeMachine drive in Finder window sidebars.  It no longer spins in the menubar.