Apple Watch goes on sale at Target's US retail & online outlets

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited November 2015
As anticipated, Target on Friday began carrying the Apple Watch across its U.S. online and retail stores, albeit with some significant inventory limits on picking up extra bands.

The company's online store lists a variety of Sport and stainless steel Watch models in 38- and 42-millimeter sizes, with prices similar to Apple's. Edition and Hermes models are unavailable, as is normal with most third-party vendors.

Band options include things like the Milanese Loop, Leather Loop, and the Classic Buckle, but stock appears to be extremely limited both in-store and online. Shoppers can also pick up some third-party accessories however, along with AppleCare+ warranties and official magnetic chargers.

Apple has been working to expand the retail footprint of the Apple Watch since August, operating on the belief that the product will be a popular gift item during the holidays. Although it began with the U.S. and Canadian branches of Best Buy, it rapidly picked up more partners at home and in countries like Australia and Germany.

Earlier today it was discovered that the Watch will be coming to India on Nov. 6, part of a continuing expansion to new international markets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Uh... this is a good thing, uh, right?

• Reply 2 of 21
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Might turn out to be the hardest-to-hack thing in the entire store...?

• Reply 3 of 21
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bobschlob wrote: »

no, selling more of your product in more outlets is a terrible thing. it proves you're desperate for profit.

/s
  • Reply 4 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Quote:

Yep. Any time a retailer at the level of Target is selling your stuff, it's a good thing. They merchandise and execute pretty well. Walmart, on the other hand, could never pull this off.

• Reply 5 of 21
    Target?
    Really?
    Feels so.. I don't know. Desperate or something. Yuk.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Of course it's a good thing!

It's stupid to assume that, just because Apple is advertising/promoting Apple Watch heavily, the product is in trouble.

In case you hadn't noticed, the AW is a different KIND of product from Apple's other fare. It addresses potentially different markets, and is a gateway product for those new to Apple.

If people aren't exactly flocking around the watches table in Apple stores, is also not an indicator of such.

They aren't going to plop down $400–1000 for a gadget to merely tell time. They have to realize the many benefits of the product, many of which are in conjunction with the ecosystem.

Hence the ads and Apple's efforts to make the watch more broadly available—especially now in the pre-Holidays period.

• Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post

Target?

Really?

No, it isn't. It's proactive and resourceful.

• Reply 8 of 21
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    mike1 wrote: »
    Yep. Any time a retailer at the level of Target is selling your stuff, it's a good thing. They merchandise and execute pretty well. Walmart, on the other hand, could never pull this off.

But Walmart can pull off selling iPhones and iPads in stores? The watch would be the same. It's in a box, customer picks it out, pays for it.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

But Walmart can pull off selling iPhones and iPads in stores? The watch would be the same. It's in a box, customer picks it out, pays for it.

It appears only one 16GB wifi models of the Air2 are available in stores by me as well as older stuff down to iPad2 refurbs.

• Reply 10 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Target?

Really?

Not when you walk into a Sam’s Club and see a $4500.00 Tag Heurer for sale in a watch case. And right next to it is a $10,000.00 Chanel watch. A Sam’s Club for Chrissake!

• Reply 11 of 21
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Absolutely. Next up--- Piggly Wiggly and Dollar General. Start to worry if you see them in Goodwill thrift stores.

• Reply 12 of 21
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Target?
    Really?

yeah, i pity Apple for all the profit its made selling iPods and iPads and accessories there for years and years. pyuhh! gross!

much better if there were only a few places you could get the products i enjoy using and recommend to others.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Target?
    Really?

Target carries the iPhone and the iPad, each of which costs much more than the watch. As an investor I'm happy to see it.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

As long as this is what's happening, great! The more the merrier. The minute Apple relies on Target to demonstrate the watch to a customer unfamiliar with it, who needs to see it and try it on, and be shown what it can do, then I'm not as confident based on the level of customer service I routinely receive there.

• Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

no, selling more of your product in more outlets is a terrible thing. it proves you're desperate for profit.

/s

Yup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Quote:

Of course it's a good thing!

It's stupid to assume that, just because Apple is advertising/promoting Apple Watch heavily, the product is in trouble.

In case you hadn't noticed, the AW is a different KIND of product from Apple's other fare. It addresses potentially different markets, and is a gateway product for those new to Apple.

If people aren't exactly flocking around the watches table in Apple stores, is also not an indicator of such.

They aren't going to plop down $400–1000 for a gadget to merely tell time. They have to realize the many benefits of the product, many of which are in conjunction with the ecosystem.

Hence the ads and Apple's efforts to make the watch more broadly available—especially now in the pre-Holidays period.

Yup.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Yup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

Target?

Really?

Not when you walk into a Sam’s Club and see a $4500.00 Tag Heurer for sale in a watch case. And right next to it is a $10,000.00 Chanel watch. A Sam’s Club for Chrissake!

And one more Yup.

I agree with all of you.

• Reply 16 of 21

Apple made a great smartwatch. If they want to sell millions and millions, they cant only provide it through online, the apple store (& a few specialized high end boutiques) They have to make it more accesible, more mainstream. Its a good move

I suspect there are a few that want to keep it elitist, there was a lot of bitching on here when iPads and iPhones started selling through walmart etc.. If you want the masses to buy, you have to sell it where they shop, then it can be seen to have mass appeal.

The nice thing about the apple watch, is that if you want one the great unwashed cant afford, then buy an expensive one...

• Reply 17 of 21
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    It is necessary to make smartwatches the "new normal". This can done through selling everywhere people shop. Eventually many will be swayed if nothing more than to satisfy their curiosity after seeing it EVERYWHERE!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Apple made a great smartwatch. If they want to sell millions and millions, they cant only provide it through online, the apple store (& a few specialized high end boutiques) They have to make it more accesible, more mainstream. Its a good move

I suspect there are a few that want to keep it elitist, there was a lot of bitching on here when iPads and iPhones started selling through walmart etc.. If you want the masses to buy, you have to sell it where they shop, then it can be seen to have mass appeal.

The nice thing about the apple watch, is that if you want one the great unwashed cant afford, then buy an expensive one...

How much more available do you want to make it? It'a already available through The Apple Store, Best Buy, Sprint & T-Mobile stores, B&H Photo, as well as various luxury boutiques and jewelry stores, and that's just around the US. 

As for the people who want it to be "elitist" I'd say Apple themselves set that bar when they launched the watch. And now, the "most personal product" they've ever made is now being sold at one of the least personal stores most of us have ever shopped at. I personally don't see what Target adds to the mix, except to lower the bar a little bit from where they started.

• Reply 19 of 21
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    bobschlob wrote: »

Absolutely. Next up--- Piggly Wiggly and Dollar General. Start to worry if you see them in Goodwill thrift stores.

Why not. You've been able to pick up Samsung Galaxy Gear from the rummage table of garage sales for over a year now.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    lkrupp wrote: »

Exactly. And you know who shops at Sam's Club and Costco? Rich people! They don't get rich by accident and everyone likes a bargain.