Why Isn't there a Macworld Chicago?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was in Chicago the other day (went to the Woodfield Apple Store), and I started thinking: Why isn't there a Macworld Expo (or another Mac event) in Chicago? Chicago is bigger than San Francisco, but smaller 9and cheaper) than New York. Chicago isn't as busy as New York (it's more accessible and easier to get around), and McCormick Place is bigger and more beautiful than the Javits Center and the Moscone Center. There also is better food in Chicago (the world's best pizza).

By having an expo in Chicago (or anywhere in the midwest), you'd be tapping into a huge community of mac users that have previously not been able to go to a Macworld. I'm not suggesting they replace MWNY or MWSF with a MWCG, but it would be a good supplement. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    That would be cool although having a 3rd Macworld would basicly be a repeat MWexpo because they have so much to talk about each time.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The reason is fairly simple: The two largest tech areas in the country are in the Northeast and in California.

Chicago and the midwest have nothing on Boston and San Francisco in terms of technology based companies. Since they are more easily accessible by those companies, they have the shows there.

That's not to say that a Macworld Chicago would be a bad idea, but I think you'd see much less attendance than at the east coast show or MWSF.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Wasn't there talk of adding MW Boston either in place of or in addition to MWNY?

-Mike
  • Reply 4 of 11
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    Better food than New York or San Francisco? I doubt that.

I'm just trying to figure out why there isn't an Apple store in San Francisco?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Chicago is pretty well filled up with tech expos and I don't think Apple could get the time of year they want. There's talk of moving MW back to Boston, but it wouldn't happen until 2004 at the earliest as next year is already set for the Javits Center. Methinks it's just a ploy by IDG (who produce the show) to get a better deal in NY.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Chicago would be a good idea. I'd go...

But the expo's themselves need to be moved...

yes, lets release cool new stuff after everyone has maxed out their credit card for christmas. Do'h.

There should be an Expo Nov. 1. Lot's of press coverage for christmas shoppers.. (this gives plenty of time for the "announce now and ship later" that seems to be going on too much.

and another expo around May 1. Just is time for the Graduation presents....and school budget buying...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    What they really need to do is move MWNY to Washington, DC. There's a big community of Mac users here too, and maybe Apple could get the Federal Government to buy more Macs. Of course, maybe I'm a little biased. But I'd bet Jonathan would agree with me on this.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]There's talk of moving MW back to Boston, but it wouldn't happen until 2004 at the earliest as next year is already set for the Javits Center. Methinks it's just a ploy by IDG (who produce the show) to get a better deal in NY. <hr></blockquote>

First of all, it's a near done deal that the Expo will be back in Boston next year. The papers just have to be signed with certain hotels to make it a done deal. Secondly, the Javitz Center raised costs effective immediately just two weeks before MWNY this year meaning that IDG got much less money than they expected. It caused a lot of problems during the show apparently as well.

So if it is a 'ploy' to get a better deal, it's only because the Javitz Center screwed them over this year, and even then I highly doubt it. IDG is 'advertising' the show for New York next year, but remember that they also advertised the show for Boston the year it moved to New York.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Could be, but where did you get the inside info. It's the Javits not Javitz Center. It doesn't really matter either way as the Expos are no longer the "event" they once where as Apple intros product throughout the year now (which is a good thing). Steve's act is geting stale anyways. IDG's site has dates listed for 2003 in NY and SF at:

<a href="http://idg.com/www/events.nsf/webEventsByProductLineRegionView/0FD03AA0A2B58FAE88256AB6005BCA52?OpenDocument"; target="_blank">http://idg.com/www/events.nsf/webEventsByProductLineRegionView/0FD03AA0A2B58FAE88256AB6005BCA52?OpenDocument</a>;

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Man, they need a Macworld in Houston! They haven't attempted to tap the south at all! Houston is just the 4th largest city in the US and it doesn't even have an Apple Store! What gives?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    [quote]and another expo around May 1. Just is time for the Graduation presents....and school budget buying... <hr></blockquote>

and my birthday.