iPhone 6s stops listening for 'Hey Siri' when it's in your pocket or face down on a table

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    In my case, on a 5s, Siri s much like my kids. She no longer listens when she no longer wants to.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

What about the person who was just involved in a car crash (such as rolling the car on an isolated road) and cannot reach their phone. They darned well better hope it's right-side up or the, "Hey Siri! Dial 9-1-1" won't work. Too bad! At least they might get to meet Steve Jobs soon...

Wasn't there some guy in the news recently that did something like this?

I am not saying that very specific situation never happens. But how often does that specific situation really happen?

Sometimes people may die in roll-over car crashes on remote roads. Perhaps every now and then, their cell phone saves their life.

I also wonder how many of those crashes might be caused by someone looking at their phone in the first place. 

If someone is driving and using voice to prompt their phone and it doesn't work, they then look at the phone. That distraction could also cause the crash.

Possibly more often than rolling over on a remote road and being saved by the voice control of a phone.

• Reply 23 of 38
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

That's no fair. "Samantha" is able to work just fine in a pocket; why not Siri?  Come on, Apple!

• Reply 24 of 38
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    The annoying thing is that it's not even a complete absence - you still get the little double ding prompt when you use Hey Siri! but now get nothing when you start Siri by pressing and holding the home button which means you have to look at the screen to make sure she is ready to respond. If it is on for one way I see no reason why it should't be on for both

When I start Siri with the home button I get a vibration feed back, so I know Siri
    Is listening. I actually like this. don't you get that feed back?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    roake wrote: »
    What about the person who was just involved in a car crash (such as rolling the car on an isolated road) and cannot reach their phone. They darned well better hope it's right-side up or the, "Hey Siri! Dial 9-1-1" won't work. Too bad! At least they might get to meet Steve Jobs soon...

Wasn't there some guy in the news recently that did something like this?

Well there is that one kid that could activate Siri in his pocket with pressure
    http://www.itv.com/news/2015-08-15/siri-calls-for-help-to-save-teen-trapped-under-his-truck/
  • Reply 26 of 38
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

When I played ... the actor said, "Hey Siri!" and my Siri on my phone responded!

Hm, if I created a youtube video with an audio that said "Hey Siri, visit the page hijackmyphone.com", maybe I would have invented a new payload mechanism. 

• Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new iPhone 6s utilizes its M9 coprocessor for "Hey Siri" input, allowing it to always listen for voice commands. Well, almost always.

In years past, Apple's motion coprocessor has been used to silently and constantly track steps and activity. But starting with this year's A9 CPU in the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, the M9 component also listens for voice.

With earlier iOS devices, "Hey Siri" requires an iPhone or an iPad connected to external power to prevent draining battery life. But the M9 enables the iPhone 6s to always listen for "Hey Siri" commands --?except when it doesn't.

Though it's not noted in any of Apple's promotional materials, "Hey Siri" does not work on the iPhone 6s when it's laying face down, or is inside a user's pocket.

Presumably, the iPhone 6s proximity sensor, located near the earpiece above the Retina display, is also constantly utilized to change when the device is available for "Hey Siri."

Starting with iOS 9, Apple also utilizes the proximity sensor on all iPhone models to prevent the display from turning on when the handset is lying face-down or within a pocket. Displays are typically the most power-hungry component on an iPhone, and keeping the screen dark when a user cannot see it is a practical way to extend battery life.

Similarly, it's unlikely that a user will want to invoke "Hey Siri" when their iPhone is in their pocket, where the device's microphone and speaker could be obstructed.

Users who want constant access to "Hey Siri" with their iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus should perhaps get into the habit of laying their handset on a table face-up.

That's actually really nice, I've been longing for "Hey Siri" to work always. Though, I'd like for it to be easy to for example switch songs when I use a music app. I think they should include some automatic commands like that. For example, if you're running a music app, "siri next" should always switch song right away. 

• Reply 28 of 38
    One thing Apple has done in iOS 9, which I really do not like is the absence of a tone or some kind of more obvious feedback indicating Siri is ready for a query. It used to be the equivalent of "How may I be of assistance" or "I'm ready".

Would be an opportunity for custom answertones. (One could be the old enterprise computer "Wating", "Ready", "Working", etc. Or replace Siri with a custom name or phrase like "Hey Abbott" or "Supercalifragilisticexpialidoschious"...
  • Reply 29 of 38
    idrey wrote: »
    When I start Siri with the home button I get a vibration feed back, so I know Siri
    Is listening. I actually like this. don't you get that feed back?

On the iPhone 6 it vibrates when holding the button down, on the 6S it does not vibrate. A bug I reported but was never fixed before the release. Now that I think of it I reported over 50 bugs in iOS 9 and 9.1, I can still count 14 that were not fixed. I don't think I'm going to public beta anymore since they don't listen unless more then a certain number of users report the same bug. It must be some kind of automated process to determine the number of users reporting it before it gets any attention.
    When I was testing in the developer program reporting bugs they all got fixed. The public beta idea is broken. So I give up waisting my time for them. Why do you think so many bugs were left in iOS 9 to begin with that they had to rush 9.1. 5 beta in 5 weeks was a record for Apple and I've been testing since the start of the developer program.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Also if a watch is paired and you rais the watch and say "hey Siri" only the watch listens, that's nice. During beta I had both the phone and watch respond at the same time. So they got that correct.
    I just had to turn it off on the iPad when it was p,urged in because I had the phone and iPad both respond.
    Let's hope since it has voice recognition now that they let us name our own devices next so I can say "hey iPad" or "hey phone", well you get the point.
    Maybe I can try to call the iPad something else if I retrain it?
  • Reply 31 of 38
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    The annoying thing is that it's not even a complete absence - you still get the little double ding prompt when you use Hey Siri! but now get nothing when you start Siri by pressing and holding the home button which means you have to look at the screen to make sure she is ready to respond. If it is on for one way I see no reason why it should't be on for both

yes, this is dumb. glad to know its not just me.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    slurpy wrote: »
    I like the change. Makes things more subtle and natural, and one less sounds to bother people around you. 

a haptic feedback indicating its ready for a command would be better than nothing at all.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    doccaliban wrote: »
    As an aside, my 6 Plus has always worked with Hey Siri without external power. Maybe there's an option in there that I set last year. Either that, or the oft-claimed power requirement is incorrect?

or, you're mistaken.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    techlover wrote: »
    Voice control has unfortunately turned into an "everyone look at me using voice control!" sort of thing.

no, I've never seen anyone use it for that reason. ever. are you teaching children, perhaps?
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Voice control has unfortunately turned into an "everyone look at me using voice control!" sort of thing.

no, I've never seen anyone use it for that reason. ever. are you teaching children, perhaps?

You took the time to read my entire post, then cherry picked that quote - and that is the conclusion you took away from what I said?

:???:

Sigh. 

If you at all understood my original full post then you would realize my point was that using voice control around people is disruptive and rude, more so than silently typing.

It is something that I have noticed over the years.

Listen, I fully understand that you don't like me. It doesn't take a genius to pick up on that. I get it. 

That is fair enough.

What isn't fair enough is you cherry picking a quote from me, and then coming up with an absurd conclusion.

Yep, I am calling you out on that. I am also asking you politely to please never do it again. If you were trying to be funny, my apologies. But will add that you are doing it wrong.

If you read my full post, then you would have understood that I said that the novelty of voice control has worn off. It is nothing new to anyone anymore. Yet unfortunately it has non-the-less has turned into a "look at me" sort of thing. Meaning that everyone else in the vicinity can't help but notice the rude individual using voice control. Silently typing is less rude.

Please read my full post again, as well as reference the post I was responding to. Perhaps then maybe you will understand.

Thank you.

• Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by derekson View Post

This actually bothers me because I keep my phone covered on my bedside table and I can no longer ask Siri what time it is when I wake up on a day with no alarm set. First world problems, I know, but I wish when it was plugged in that it would ignore this since it's obviously not in a pocket.

This is a bug as far as I am concerned.  Face down plugged into power should not turn off hey siri and it does.  I just realized this recently when my phone would not respond to me.  

• Reply 37 of 38
    techlover wrote: »
    You took the time to read my entire post, then cherry picked that quote - and that is the conclusion you took away from what I said?

:???:

Sigh. 

If you at all understood my original full post then you would realize my point was that using voice control around people is disruptive and rude, more so than silently typing.

It is something that I have noticed over the years.

Listen, I fully understand that you don't like me. It doesn't take a genius to pick up on that. I get it. 

That is fair enough.

What isn't fair enough is you cherry picking a quote from me, and then coming up with an absurd conclusion.

Yep, I am calling you out on that. I am also asking you politely to please never do it again. If you were trying to be funny, my apologies. But will add that you are doing it wrong.

If you read my full post, then you would have understood that I said that the novelty of voice control has worn off. It is nothing new to anyone anymore. Yet unfortunately it has non-the-less has turned into a "look at me" sort of thing. Meaning that everyone else in the vicinity can't help but notice the rude individual using voice control. Silently typing is less rude.

Please read my full post again, as well as reference the post I was responding to. Perhaps then maybe you will understand.

Thank you.

I think that's a little dramatic. Maybe you're just insecure about it but I certainly don't feel embarrassed or like I'm showing off if I use Siri to call my girlfriend. Why wouldn't I? My phone's in my pocket and I have my headphones on already. What's the big deal? And that's not to mention how helpful it is while driving.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Though it's not noted in any of Apple's promotional materials, "Hey Siri" does not work on the iPhone 6s when it's laying face down...

Might not be in a brochure, but if you RTFM, it's there: Siri Documentation  :wow: 

Under the heading 'Turn "Hey Siri" on or off and personalize the feature'