Review: Apple's Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Mouse 2 open new doors for Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41

"IF" Apple will be ditching the home button on the iPhone 7 and building Touch ID into the glass itself, I imagine Gen 2 of the Trackpad "could" do the same thing. A welcomed upgrade for desktop users.

• Reply 22 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    that is a compromise and in this case not a pragmatic one (such as the camera lump) as such - it is ugly

not so. if you look at your MM1 you'll see that the only place to put the port would be on the touch surface itself, which would be really weird and not great. especially when it's not plugged it -- big hole where your finger runs over.

if you cannot charge it over night then 2 mins getting coffee gets you through the day. hopefully by then you can find a wall charger near your desk.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I haven't used any of the new accessories, but if they come with a lightning to usb cable, does it have to be charged by a computer? Can't you just stick it into an iPhone or iPad charger or any usb charger, which many people have lying around everywhere? 

yup, you can. but these people with their hypothetical problems (cause lets be honest, that's all they are) evidently don't have iPhones, iPads, or any USB chargers near them.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    No more having to swap batteries. That's the main draw. The Magic Mouse has a fast charge feature as well meaning you should not have any downtime of significance.

I still rock the Mighty Mouse with old trackpad. Going to update the trackpad but may hold back on mouse until they get force touch in. I'm unhappy with having to make sure only left or right fingers are in contact when clicking and feel a force touch mouse may bad able to tell if right or left click is intended without human gymnastics
  • Reply 25 of 41
    macapfel wrote: »
    The new trackpad looks compelling. I'd like to buy it, but for the moment find it quite too expensive.

I don't expect it to go down in price.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    "IF" Apple will be ditching the home button on the iPhone 7 and building Touch ID into the glass itself, I imagine Gen 2 of the Trackpad "could" do the same thing. A welcomed upgrade for desktop users.

there's no indication that's happening.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    As the user of a 1st generation wireless trackpad I am supremely disappointed as the trackpad has been Jony-ized - otherwise function has been sacrificed for fashion. OMG, a white touch surface? Would you like a matching belt and shoes for something that tacky?

I do not want a wire on my wireless trackpad, nor do I want a sealed battery compartment with a proprietary battery. Panasonic Eneloops- which Apple was selling as their batteries- work fine and have no problems with charging or battery life.

Same with the wireless keyboard. Where is the backlit black key model many of us would gladly buy?

As to the mouse, I own one and rarely use it. However, the same ignorant sealed battery compartment rears it's ugly head. I guess Apple wants us to buy their overpriced accessories more frequently as we cannot easily replace the batteries.

I have ordered another 1st generation trackpad and prefer to keep using my wireless trackpad that does not have a wire. Force Touch is much ado about nothing.

BTW- why no fingerprint reader on the new keyboard or trackpad?
  • Reply 30 of 41
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    not so. if you look at your MM1 you'll see that the only place to put the port would be on the touch surface itself, which would be really weird and not great. especially when it's not plugged it -- big hole where your finger runs over.

Not so, you can place the lighting port on the side of the device. You could even use a clever little covering plate that detects the approach of the Lightning connector and slides away revealing the port
  • Reply 31 of 41
    "Applying these new rich input and haptic feedback features on Mac almost "magically" makes you feel at one with your computer."

LOL. I gotta try this thing then.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavGreg View Post

As the user of a 1st generation wireless trackpad I am supremely disappointed as the trackpad has been Jony-ized - otherwise function has been sacrificed for fashion. OMG, a white touch surface? Would you like a matching belt and shoes for something that tacky?

I do not want a wire on my wireless trackpad, nor do I want a sealed battery compartment with a proprietary battery. Panasonic Eneloops- which Apple was selling as their batteries- work fine and have no problems with charging or battery life.

Same with the wireless keyboard. Where is the backlit black key model many of us would gladly buy?

As to the mouse, I own one and rarely use it. However, the same ignorant sealed battery compartment rears it's ugly head. I guess Apple wants us to buy their overpriced accessories more frequently as we cannot easily replace the batteries.

I have ordered another 1st generation trackpad and prefer to keep using my wireless trackpad that does not have a wire. Force Touch is much ado about nothing.

BTW- why no fingerprint reader on the new keyboard or trackpad?

Sorry, but what the hell is wrong with you? You can't do 2 seconds of research before ranting? The wireless trackpad has a "wire" only for charging, which you might need to plugin maybe once a month to the computer half a foot away. This is a deal breaker? You're probably the only person on the planet that prefers to stick with AA batteries instead of something that can be continually recharged. Every SINGLE review claims that this trackpad is a massive improvement, so please acknowledge that you're in the extreme minority when you make your odd complaints.  

And yeah, the iPhones, iPads, Macbook Airs, etc have been such MASSIVE failures because of their "sealed battery compartments", eh? Clearly, consumers are clamoring to have products with AA batteries that take up a massive amount of space, do not last as long, need to be replaced, or require to be removed and inserted into a separate charging mechanism. Which is so much better than plugging in a cable once a month.  Clearly. 

• Reply 33 of 41
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I swap batteries about once a month. I also have other devices in the house - like flashlights, touch less soap dispensers and remote controls that also use AA batteries. If the battery goes south I grab one and keep going.
    With Jony's OCD for sealed proprietary batteries there is no way to change on the fly, no way to cost effectively replace the battery when it starts to go south and it speeds the day it becomes more e-trash that more commonly ends in a landfill rather than a recycling center.
    As to your logic regarding other Apple products, there is no consumer choice- Apple sealed up the laptops in a my way or the highway move. Otherwise, your posit is not supported by your example.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Thank god for those Enelope batteries. My kids and their wireless nintendo controllers would have made me destitute long ago.

I'm running out of things that take AA rechargeable batteries, however. No more trackpads, keyboards, mice. And that's a good thing.

I remember when so many people were panicking when Apple ditched the battery paradigm for laptops. How would we survive! Doesn't Apple know that true power users carry around 2 batteries at all times? How will they make due?

One less flimsy compartment that has to be designed into a product.

I'm going to skip the new mouse (I like logitech anywhere mice) and jump on the new trackpad. The force touch and haptic feedback are compelling to me, even though the price seems high.

• Reply 35 of 41

$130 for a trackpad, I don't care how good it is, that's insane.

• Reply 36 of 41

Well, in cleaning the feet of my Magic Trackpad a few minutes ago, I managed to nearly pull out the little rubber pad. Fortunately it slipped right back in, but now I’m worried about that happening again and it not going back.

The new design solves that problem, at least. But $130 is far too much.

• Reply 37 of 41

Thing is, Trackpad II is good, insanely good. It is the first trackpad I've ever used that makes a mouse feel like a dinosaur. The increased number of gestures coupled with Force Touch makes it an extremely efficient input device unless one is gaming in a fast-paced fps.

It's £110 here in the UK = $170. Still, I think it was money well spent. My only gripe (commented on above) is that they haven't included Ink as an additional input option. I hope someone at Apple (or third-party dev) realises the potential of Ink inclusion.

If any dev's here knows that incorporating Ink would be impossible I'd like to know. If it can be done I'll write to Jony and co to give them heads-up.

Magic Mouse II I'll pass on as I'm perfectly happy with my Magic Mouse with Mobe.e induction recharging battery set. It never has to be inverted and can be used 24/365 doty. 

• Reply 38 of 41
    Magic Mouse 2 is best pointing device I ever used ... great responsive .. great precision ... sliding on every surface is at top
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

yup, you can. but these people with their hypothetical problems (cause lets be honest, that's all they are) evidently don't have iPhones, iPads, or any USB chargers near them.

It seems some people are working really, really hard to come up with "problems" for this new gear. 

Preferences, sure, I wouldn't argue that. But problems? Somebody can't take 2 minutes to top off a mouse, if they forgot to charge it last month? No sliding door??

I don't shut down my computers so I can charge any USB device needing it while my Mac gently sleeps. It's one less wall wart to bother with. iPads take longer, but if they're not needed, no problem.  Once a month or whatever, plug the mouse in when you're done, come back to a fully charged device. 

I've got a ton of Eneloops for flashlights, keyboards, mice, and MTPs. And it's a drag charging and changing them. Sure, doesn't take long but do it enough and I don't miss not having to for at least one device, anyway.

My MM doesn't get much use as the MTP is far superior for general use. The MTP2 is pricey but it's already discounted at some retailer. Still pricey I think I'll be in for one. The MM2 works with older OSs but loses some functionality. The same may be true for the TrackPad and MKB. It's the TrackPad that I'm interested in.

• Reply 40 of 41
    If you're not on El Capitan you lose functions. On the bottom of the box, in faint gray, 2 pt type it says 10.11.1 is required. Hardly a fair warning before plunking down eighty bucks and losing functionality.