ram in imac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm thinking of purchasing a new 17" imac. i know it comes with 256mb of ram, but is that the ram that the user isn't able to access? In other words, if i were to buy 512mb of ram somewhere else because it's cheaper, does that add to the 256mb that it already has?

This maybe a simple question, but I am currently a pc user that has a 6 year old compaq with less than 64mb of ram. Think it's time to upgrade?

sorry if posted in wrong section.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you are in the wrong forum, yes. Purchasing advice goes into <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=10"; target="_blank">General Discussion</a>, but don't worry, a mod will move the thread (If I am right, of course)

Of course it's time to upgrade. And even better if you switch to a Macintosh.

more info on the iMac is found <a href="http://www.apple.com/imac/"; target="_blank">here</a>.

The 256 MB of RAM in the iMac are not accessible by the normal user, only a apple certified tech center can change that sort of RAM.

but there's still a slot for RAM which is accessible by the user. you can add a maximum of 512MB to the iMac, however the maximum for the hole computer is one GB.

If you want to max the iMac out (which I would), the you should make a BTO (Build to order) and change the config. to 512MB RAM, which will be inaccessible for you. However, you still can add your own 512MB RAM stick.

alright ?

[quote] picture of iMac closed/open. you can see where you would have to add the RAM

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    t.l.t.l. Posts: 9member
    thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    yes, like he said. The iMac has some RAM built into it rather permanently, and one slot where you can easily put in an additional chip. Unless you plan on doing some pretty high end graphics or video work, a whole GB of RAM is likely overkill for you. For everyday use (and low end consumer image/video editing) 512 to 640 RAM is plenty enough.

Of course, it's up to you.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to General Discussion...