Apple resists MacBook, iPad Pro convergence as Microsoft struggles with Surface Windows 10 hybrids

1356720

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 399
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,716member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post



    Until truly professional software arrives, the iPad Pro will still be just an iPad. It's taking a looong time for a professional software developer to develop a completely new iPad offering of their apps. And it might not even make sense to the company. Adobe is finally getting it, and slowly doing something about it. I hope others will follow. I'm in the animation industry, and hoping for Toon Boom Animation to make a Harmony version for the iPad Pro. I can't see it happening anytime soon though... If ever..

    I think the iPad pro is the perfect platform for startups. A professional animation software can truly make sense on the pro, so anyone doing it right before the big guys will truly have a good head start.

    Yet there are no limits to the unoptimized applications that are being touted for Surface, a product line that pales in sales next to the iPad. If, in fact, the iPad Pro displaces the Cintiq as a primary input device, which I expect that it will based on early reviews, Apple will have devoured yet another Windows niche.

     

    Seems like Apple has done its homework with the iPad Pro. Which product line do you expect to see fully optimized touch products first; iPad Pro or Surface?

     

    Myself, I'm also going to be using an iPad Pro as an input device for my 5K iMac while I'm waiting for all those Pro apps to arrive:

     

    http://astropad.com/ipad-pro/

  • Reply 42 of 399
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

    "Apple's introduction video consistency portrays iPad Pro as a large iPad, noting only momentarily that its Apple Pencil can be used to draw with precision on the screen."

     

    From what I've been reading / seeing, this is the biggest criticism potential Pro buyers have of the iPad Pro - that it's just a bigger iPad.  Deep down they wish it was running OSX, not iOS.

     



    OSX isnt supposed to be used with a touch screen .... No sense in looking for OS X on an iPad ....
  • Reply 43 of 399

    How much praise can be bestowed upon this clown-show of tone deaf consumer product engineering?

     

    That pretty well sums it up for me.

  • Reply 44 of 399
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

     

     

    Myself, I'm also going to be using an iPad Pro as an input device for my 5K iMac while I'm waiting for all those Pro apps to arrive:

     

    http://astropad.com/ipad-pro/


    Thanks for that link - it matches what I expect to be the future of the iPad vs Mac.... that they will eventually be extensions of each other when used together - but are still excellent devices when used without one another.  

  • Reply 45 of 399
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    That's very cute, but it doesn't follow the timeline, as keyboards have been available for the ipad since mid 2010, shortly after it came out. I also don't recall Tim stating that Apple invented the idea of a type cover. So the cartoon is a bit off as far as reality is concerned.

     

    Apple submitted a patent for the keyboard/cover on the 6th October 2010.

     

    http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US20120088557

     

    The first Surface was released in 2012, I believe.

  • Reply 46 of 399
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    A Mac tablet would be great.
  • Reply 47 of 399
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xixo View Post



    apple's hubris will not serve them well



    their arrogance has taken them far, but Steve is dead now



    Tim serves the shareholders, not the customer



    when Apple releases a tablet laptop hybrid that runs iOS and OS X everyone will marvel at their innovation



    reading some comments here it's obvious many do nothing resembling 'work' with computing devices



    keep eating soup with a fork and let me know how that works out for you

     

    I just don't want to touch anything on the screen of my MacBook Pro, nor I'd like to detach its display .....
  • Reply 48 of 399
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,072member
    Witness! Testify! Valhalla!

    Thank you DED.

    Best paragraph-

    "In a professional looking graphic attached to the piece (below), the Wall Street Journal presented "The Evolution of the Tablet," depicting a more ignorant impression of the definition of "evolution" than school textbooks commissioned by Texas."

    Next bash us some Google/Alphabet...
  • Reply 49 of 399
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,716member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

     

    Thanks for that link - it matches what I expect to be the future of the iPad vs Mac.... that they will eventually be extensions of each other when used together - but are still excellent devices when used without one another.  


    There isn't any technical reason that an iPad(s) couldn't be useful as either an added screen(s) for a Mac or as an input device(s), and arguably, the same is true for iPhones, but just not as practical for obvious reasons.

     

    I'm pretty sure that there are already apps for wired / wireless connection of iPads to Macs for output; just none from Apple with specific API's, which would be a killer feature.

     

    No reason not to repurpose older iPads for input devices; but better if Apple builds a roadmap of support.

  • Reply 50 of 399
    Apple is slowly moving to unite OS X and iOS but it may take time before they will merge it. They are making steps that can allow that. Unifying features and interface and mainly App thinning that allows to download only needed resources it can later allow download compatible binary for Intel or ARM.

    Otherwise article is a lot of words about something customers will solve by themselves.
  • Reply 51 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,237member
    palegolas wrote: »
    Until truly professional software arrives, the iPad Pro will still be just an iPad. It's taking a looong time for a professional software developer to develop a completely new iPad offering of their apps. And it might not even make sense to the company. Adobe is finally getting it, and slowly doing something about it. I hope others will follow. I'm in the animation industry, and hoping for Toon Boom Animation to make a Harmony version for the iPad Pro. I can't see it happening anytime soon though... If ever..
    I think the iPad pro is the perfect platform for startups. A professional animation software can truly make sense on the pro, so anyone doing it right before the big guys will truly have a good head start.

    I don't know what you mean by professional. If you look through the App Store, you will find many "professional" apps, for many industries. And just as for Windows, there are apps developed for individual organizations that you will never see, as they are only available in their private app stores. IBM has now developed about 50 apps for industry that are as professional as you might want.

    I don't see an iPad taking over for classic computing entirely, but that's not their purpose. If the only professional apps you can think of are photo and video, then you've got a whole world of apps you're missing.
  • Reply 52 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,237member
    tmay wrote: »
    Yet there are no limits to the unoptimized applications that are being touted for Surface, a product line that pales in sales next to the iPad. If, in fact, the iPad Pro displaces the Cintiq as a primary input device, which I expect that it will based on early reviews, Apple will have devoured yet another Windows niche.

    Seems like Apple has done its homework with the iPad Pro. Which product line do you expect to see fully optimized touch products first; iPad Pro or Surface?

    Myself, I'm also going to be using an iPad Pro as an input device for my 5K iMac while I'm waiting for all those Pro apps to arrive:

    http://astropad.com/ipad-pro/

    I get tired of hearing about Surface. surface is just a small sized, and pretty expensive for the Windows world, portable Windows device. Nothing more.

    So, yes, it runs most of what a small Windows device can run. But it also has all of the headaches of a Windows device. So what's so special there? I don't know of anything.
  • Reply 53 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,237member
    rayz wrote: »
    Apple submitted a patent for the keyboard/cover on the 6th October 2010.

    http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US20120088557

    The first Surface was released in 2012, I believe.

    The cartoon is like the various Steve Jobs movies, interesting, but wrong on too many points to be of use.
  • Reply 54 of 399
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,364member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The iPad had keyboards WAY BEFORE the Surface appeared.
    Apple did? I thought they discouraged physical keyboards until recently. I guess I only knew of some 3rd party ones, not realizing Apple sold them too. Thanks.
  • Reply 55 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post



    A Mac tablet would be great.



    I've often thought that a hybrid device would be nice, OS X screen connected to keyboard, iOS tablet when screen detached on its own. But lately, as iOS has progressed and the speed of these devices is so good lately, I'm finding that an iPad with keyboard is replacing my use of my MBA almost entirely. My point is that as iOS continues to advance and apps which run on on it advance equally, for me at least, there is very little that OS X provides above and beyond iOS. For a desktop, sure OS X is nice and I will continue to use it there, I don't want to reach across my desk and touch the screen ever, but in a laptop I'm not sure OS X (for me and my use cases) provides so much more than iOS. As for OS X in a tablet, I'm not sure what that would provide in benefit, other than running apps that require OS X??

  • Reply 56 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,237member
    rayz wrote: »
    Apple submitted a patent for the keyboard/cover on the 6th October 2010.

    http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US20120088557

    The first Surface was released in 2012, I believe.

    Thanks for the link. I forgot about that. Patently Apple publishes so many of these over the years that it's easy to forget.
  • Reply 57 of 399
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Apple did?

    From day one:

     

    ipad 1 keyboard dock

  • Reply 58 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,237member
    appex wrote: »
    A Mac tablet would be great.

    No, it wouldn't.
  • Reply 59 of 399
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,364member
    tmay wrote: »
    From day one:
    Yup, just looked it up before you posted. Thanks.

    I think I get the difference today with regard to keyboards too. Obviously Apple considered a dock optional for consumers with the original iPad line, preferring users forgo them. With the Pro targeting enterprise a physical keyboard becomes more of a necessity, right?
  • Reply 60 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,237member
    tmay wrote: »
    There isn't any technical reason that an iPad(s) couldn't be useful as either an added screen(s) for a Mac or as an input device(s), and arguably, the same is true for iPhones, but just not as practical for obvious reasons.

    I'm pretty sure that there are already apps for wired / wireless connection of iPads to Macs for output; just none from Apple with specific API's, which would be a killer feature.

    No reason not to repurpose older iPads for input devices; but better if Apple builds a roadmap of support.

    There are several apps that allow you to use the iPad either as an auxiliary screen, or to see the Mac screen in its entirety. I have a couple. Air Display and Astropad are two of them.
Sign In or Register to comment.