Apple enlists A-lister Jamie Foxx, NBA star Steph Curry to tout iPhone 6s

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple released a trio of star-studded iPhone 6s spots on Sunday, with two shorts starring Jamie Foxx and Siri, and a proper minute-long commercial showing off iPhone's cameras with an assist from Golden State cager Steph Curry.

The first two ads feature Foxx interacting with Apple's Siri virtual assistant using the new "Hey Siri" feature, an always-on hands-free technology made possible by the M9 motion coprocessor in iPhone 6s.

In "Flip a coin," Foxx is seen carrying two scripts, one in each hand. He enlists Siri's help to decide between the two, asking the assistant to flip a coin, a feature that has been available in past iOS iterations.

The next ad, "Crush," has Foxx doing up a necktie in front of his now-familiar dresser (Foxx had a cameo role in an iPhone 6s ad earlier this month). He asks," Hey Siri, how do I look?," and gets one of Siri's canned, albeit personable, responses, "Judging from your voice, I'd say you must be fairly attractive." The ad illustrates Siri's ability to process conversational interactions, now augmented by "Hey Siri" hands-free technology.

A longer, narrated commercial also posted on Sunday highlighting iPhone 6s' iSight and FaceTime HD cameras. Here, Apple returns to the "only thing that's changed is everything" theme, noting upgraded specs like 4K video recording, high-definition slo-mo and more. A good portion of the clip focuses on 3D Touch interactions, a tentpole iPhone 6s feature that streamlines photo gallery viewing and enables Apple's new Live Photos feature.

Like Apple's most recent iPhone and Apple Watch spots, today's iPhone 6s commercial features a brief sequence starring 2015 NBA MVP and two-time NBA All-Star Steph Curry of the Golden State Warriors.

Apple's latest iPhone expectedly beat previous launch day sales records in September with 13 million units sold in its first three days of availability. More recently, iPhone 6s sold out within 30 minutes of going up for preorder in Apple rival Samsung's hometown of South Korea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24

The last round of celebrity ads weren’t the best. Why do it again? Why use celebrities? Apple products are for the everyman. The concept of celebrity is disgusting, in the first place.

• Reply 2 of 24
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The last round of celebrity ads weren’t the best. Why do it again? Why use celebrities? Apple products are for the everyman. The concept of celebrity is disgusting, in the first place.

I like these ads with Jamie Foxx.
  • Reply 3 of 24

You're just butthurt 'cause you ain't a celeb.

That celebs prefer Apple iPhones is a good thing, and Apple knows it!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can't name a movie Foxx has been in since like 2004, he probably did it for free.

• Reply 5 of 24
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I can't name a movie Foxx has been in since like 2004, he probably did it for free.

Then your memory is poor or you aren't much of a moviegoer. What movie can you remember him in back in 2004?
  • Reply 6 of 24

I love how the camera ad takes on the "it's the same phone as last year crowd" head-on. Sure it's the same phone... except {put all these really cool and or useful features here}

• Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

'Django Unchained' and 'The Amazing Spiderman 2' to name a few. He won an Oscar and Golden Globe for 'Ray' in 2004.

• Reply 8 of 24

The remake of Annie last year
  • Reply 9 of 24

Yeah, he really hasn't done much since M*A*S*H ended.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

...remake of Annie...

In that case, he probably had to pay THEM to be in it.

• Reply 11 of 24
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

These ads gave me chuckles. Job's well done.

• Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

TS is a celebrity here man! He mowed down the trolls, got a licence to kill trolls from AI, then the licence was revoked 'cos he actually killed trolls and now he just posts intermittently . But he is a legend!!

• Reply 13 of 24
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

But he is a legend!!

Really more of a leg end.

• Reply 14 of 24

If you mean by Celebs prefer iPhones by how Apple has given celebrities Apple products for free & paid them to endorse the iPhone, then yes your statement is correct if it reflects how Apple gets the devices into celebrities hands...
  • Reply 15 of 24

– More recently, in December, Foxx performed a skit on SNL, and mentioned his movie character Django, who is a slave. During the opening monologue, Foxx spoke about his latest role to the audience, saying, “I kill all the white people in the movie. How great is that?” 

I was more surprised he allowed himself to be photographed next to a white iPhone!

• Reply 16 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jaayco wrote: »
    I love how the camera ad takes on the "it's the same phone as last year crowd" head-on. Sure it's the same phone... except {put all these really cool and or useful features here}
    I don't think that's a good ad strategy personally. Anybody remember the "welcome to the PC business" ad Steve Jobs put in the newspapers to welcome IBMs first PC?

It might be more effective if the camera ad actually demonstrated these really cool things, but I know what the phone does, and by looking at the commercial, it looks more or less like last year's phone. Live Photos in particular looked like the same old movies, instead of something new and exciting. And 4K video means absolutely nothing to someone who doesn't understand what that is or why they need it. And my phone already has slo-mo, how is this different, etc. So it's an ad with a snarky attitude that suggests it has all these new things, but fails to showcase them effectively to back up the premise.

I'm sure it will sell phones, just not sure it's going to compel anybody who has 6 to upgrade.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

LOL. You don't know anything about marketing.

I know that Apple has made more non-celebrity ads than celebrity ads, and that the non-celebrity ones are more well known.

The only good celebrity ads from Apple are probably the Jeff Goldblum ones.

• Reply 18 of 24
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I like these ads with Jamie Foxx.

I'm not a Jamie Foxx fan, but I thought the "Flip a Coin" ad was funny, because it may not be too far from reality. Sci Fi Western it is.

• Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I don't think that's a good ad strategy personally. Anybody remember the "welcome to the PC business" ad Steve Jobs put in the newspapers to welcome IBMs first PC?

It might be more effective if the camera ad actually demonstrated these really cool things, but I know what the phone does, and by looking at the commercial, it looks more or less like last year's phone. Live Photos in particular looked like the same old movies, instead of something new and exciting. And 4K video means absolutely nothing to someone who doesn't understand what that is or why they need it. And my phone already has slo-mo, how is this different, etc. So it's an ad with a snarky attitude that suggests it has all these new things, but fails to showcase them effectively to back up the premise.

I'm sure it will sell phones, just not sure it's going to compel anybody who has 6 to upgrade.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Last year's phone didn't have 4k, the flash, live photos etc. Sure, slow motion existed before, and people may not understand it has been improved. Anyone who has no idea what 4k is (they would have had to avoid a lot of products including a display of televisions in any store for the last year or two) wouldn't care about any of these features, but that's the minority. Complete lack of knowledge of technology keeps Android selling after all...

• Reply 20 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Th
    cm477 wrote: »

I'm not a Jamie Foxx fan, but I thought the "Flip a Coin" ad was funny, because it may not be too far from reality. Sci Fi Western it is.
    e funny thing was that it obviously referenced will smith's horrible movie wild wild west. Scifi westerns are rarely good