Siri limits music chart questions to Apple Music subscribers

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

     



    It's not stupid. It's yet another reason for people to subscribe. Nothing's free.




    You're right.

     

    I paid Apple $750 for my iPhone. I paid Google $0 for the Google App.

     

    Somehow the latter provides me with this information but the former doesnt.

     

    It doesn't really matter to me since I never even knew this feature existed, but to be honest, Apple's moves with Apple Music have turned me away from iTunes/Music as my music source already (the fact that only 1 tab of the entire tab bar at the bottom was related to my music meant no more Music app for me) and it seems that Apple Music is making other stuff worse as well, which is disappointing.

  • Reply 22 of 46

    To me, this is a very stupid move on Apple's part. Being forced to subscribe to Apple Music just to ask Siri questions about music is extraordinarily heavy handed by Apple. I am not looking for a freebie from Apple. I have chosen not to subscribe to Apple Music because I like to buy and own my music. I buy a lot of music, television shows, movies and books from Apple. I have listened to Beats 1 since inception and have purchased songs I have heard and created playlists that mirrored the playlists from the online music station. I took the advice of the person above who suggested asking Siri to search Google for music. I got the answers from Google that Siri has now been programmed to not provide me. I hope Eddie Cue chooses to not continue on this path because Google and Amazon will not hesitate to take advantage of it. Once the door is open long and wide enough, it will be impossible to close it again.

  • Reply 23 of 46
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

     



    You're right.

     

    I paid Apple $750 for my iPhone. I paid Google $0 for the Google App.

     

    Somehow the latter provides me with this information but the former doesnt.

     

    It doesn't really matter to me since I never even knew this feature existed, but to be honest, Apple's moves with Apple Music have turned me away from iTunes/Music as my music source already (the fact that only 1 tab of the entire tab bar at the bottom was related to my music meant no more Music app for me) and it seems that Apple Music is making other stuff worse as well, which is disappointing.




    Do we know SIRI support Billboard before Apple Music? For all we know, this kind of search could fail before Apple/iTunes Music.

  • Reply 24 of 46
    Stuff like this will render Siri less relevant.

    It's a silly thing to do, if there isn't some larger reason.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    matrix07 wrote: »


    Do we know SIRI support Billboard before Apple Music? For all we know, this kind of search could fail before Apple/iTunes Music.

    Um... if it didn't, that would say a lot, no?
  • Reply 26 of 46
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post





    Um... if it didn't, that would say a lot, no?



    I can't quite remember this "What is the top song of 1975?" SIRI command before. People could use "Google what song is top of the chart in 1975" sure, but there're lots of things SIRI didn't know. At some point she didn't even know about movies. Just because Apple advertise this feature for Apple Music doesn't mean it exists before. We need more information.

     

    Edit: I think now that SIRI has this function, the better way to handle this is make SIRI search google for all non-subscribers as a default and have something like "You could play this song right away if you subscribe to Apple Music" or something like that in the answer.

  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

     



    Google and Bing are "free" and Siri happily looked up this stuff in the past.

     

    YES, it IS STUPID.  And greatly diminishes Siri as a useful tool as Apple starts to tie it in with additional paid services WHERE NO TIE IN IS NECESSARY.

     

    The information requested is not something exclusive to Apple Music.



    This is a total APPLE FAIL.

     

    FACEPALM if you don't get this.




    RELAX.  You're going to pop a vein.  This was probably a mistake and it should get fixed.   The reason it requires Apple Music is because it automatically plays the song.   They will fix it so that it only plays if you say "play the top song of .....".

  • Reply 28 of 46
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Um... if it didn't, that would say a lot, no?


    I can't quite remember this "What is the top song of 1975?" SIRI command before. People could use "Google what song is top of the chart in 1975" sure, but there're lots of things SIRI didn't know. At some point she didn't even know about movies. J[SIZE=16px]ust because Apple advertise this feature for Apple Music doesn't mean it exists before. We need more information.[/SIZE]

    If Google search can find the info (i.e., it is not proprietary info) I generally expect Siri to find it too. What possible reason could be there for Siri to not look for something as silly as that!?
  • Reply 29 of 46
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post



    This is stupid on Apple's part. Siri should "just work"



    Fully agree. Siri shouldn't censor responses to users under any circumstances.

  • Reply 30 of 46
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Even if this occurs because Siri is trying to play the song rather than pull up the billboard chart why is this looking for Apple Music? Why not play a snippet from iTunes? That's available to everyone. This just seems like a heavy-handed way to try and get more people to sign up to Apple Music.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,651member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

     



    RELAX.  You're going to pop a vein.  This was probably a mistake and it should get fixed.   The reason it requires Apple Music is because it automatically plays the song.   They will fix it so that it only plays if you say "play the top song of .....".




    Don't think I was responding to you.  I was responding to the notion that this is appropriate, that the user I quoted was spouting off about.   Even if this was a "mistake" and Apple fixes it, the user still has the notion that this sort of stupid thing is appropriate.   And it needs a response.   

     

    CAPS and other ways of writing are to emphasize things because we are not speaking face to face and don't have the body language to color our words and provide proper meaning and context.   It does not mean I (or any one else) am (is) is going to "pop a vein."

  • Reply 32 of 46

    I don't understand why this is news.  I found this out shortly after Apple Music's release.

  • Reply 33 of 46

    Disgusting.

  • Reply 34 of 46
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aressaress View Post

     

    Disgusting.




    Why? I don't think non-subscribers had lost anything. "Stupid" (on Apple part) is more likely.

  • Reply 35 of 46
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Sounds like a bug to me. There's no point in blocking information freely available everywhere else.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Has anyone else been having the issue where Siri says she doesn't know what topped the chart on a given date? I'm an Apple Music subscriber so it's a different issue than this one. But maybe they're connected?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member

    #1 song on September 11? Is this some sick joke I'm not getting? And what's up with that screenshot? Why use an unnecessary large screendump while you could've simply used a screenshot from an iPhone or iPad?

  • Reply 38 of 46
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

     



    It's not stupid. It's yet another reason for people to subscribe. Nothing's free.




    You paid for it when you bought the phone - and not a small amount either.  If you actually had a relevant point, Apple should be consistent and charge you every time Siri looks up information for you.

     

    How much do you pay for sunlight, the night sky and the air that you breathe?

  • Reply 39 of 46
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post



    Wow. That's not a very good move by Apple.



    A bit Microsoftan.



    No, it seems to be an Apple thing.  I put the same question to Cortana and she just got me the information.

     

  • Reply 40 of 46

    I subscribed to iTunes Match ( since my music trial finished ) - I realised it actually suits my needs much better due to the nature of my library, music tastes and listening habits.  

     

    This must be a bug.  It should show the info and allow non-apple music subscribers to play a snippet if desired.

    They can always prompt a user about the benefits of joining at that point as suggested above.. 

Sign In or Register to comment.