Questionable rumors peg Nov. 19 iPad Pro launch, 2.5M units for 2015

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015
Separate rumors on Tuesday hinted that the iPad Pro will ship on Thursday, Nov. 19, and that Apple will manufacture just 2.5 million units with a "conservative" approach on tap for its late 2015 debut.

The Nov. 19 date appeared on a product page belonging to German reseller Cyberport, selling the 128-gigabyte cellular-equipped model, according to iFun.de. The tablet is listed at ?1,229, or about $1,359. In the U.S. the same model will cost $1,079.

A Nov. 19 launch seems unlikely however, as that falls on a Thursday, when Apple more commonly launches new products on a Tuesday or Friday. Cyberport is instead probably using the 19th as a placeholder, pending an official launch date from Apple.

Apple has so far provided a vague "November" window for the Pro. It's unknown if the company will offer a preorder period, or simply launch the product when it's ready.

The Apple TV was given a similarly vague October launch timeframe before preorders began on Monday. The first orders will be delivered to customers on Friday.

Meanwhile, supply chain sources for DigiTimes have claimed that Apple is adopting a conservative approach to unit production, and ordering 2.5 million or fewer Pro units for the rest of 2015. Production could potentially be slower for the first quarter of 2016, depending on holiday sales.

Although DigiTimes is frequently wrong about the details of Apple products, it tends to be more accurate about its focus, which is the Asian supply industry. It may also make sense for Apple to produce relatively few units, since at $799 or higher, the professional-focused device is likely to be less appealing to many consumers than a much more affordable iPad mini 4, which tops out at $729 for a 128-gigabyte cellular model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    The $1,359 price includes a 19% (!!) VAT. Adding 19% to $1,079 (the US price without tax) yields $1,284. So it's really only $75 more in Germany than in the US (which probably covers translation costs and higher wages).

Just saying that it's not the price gouging that it appears to be...
  • Reply 2 of 52

Nov. 19?! Please don't say this is so. My iPad 2 needs to go... like, really needs to go. 

• Reply 3 of 52
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    2.5M units make no sense, unless they can be built easily on demand and online ordering will be the primary method of purchase.

Apple will need to learn what the market for the iPad Pro and encourage the market, otherwise they will have no idea of the extent of the market.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

I wish they'd announce an "Air 3". Time to replace my iPad 2 but I don't need or want the larger form factor of the Pro.

• Reply 5 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I believe all the screens are coming from Sharp, and this might be their first big trial for high production of IGZO displays at this resolution. DigiTimes in Taiwan might have no insight into this situation in Japan. (I know, "insight" is a bit ironic here.)

So it might not be Apple's choice to restrict supply so close to the holidays. Display shortage makes more sense. So do stories about supply problems right before earnings reports . . .
  • Reply 6 of 52
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I am seriouly considering an iPad Pro.

I have a 6 month old 21.5" iMac, two iPhone 6s Plus's, and a 2nd generation Apple TV.

Have a REAL old original Macbook from 2006 (LOL) which is not being used right now.

Got a 64 GB Apple TV on order.

No iPad currently this why I am considering the new iPad pro. Looks realy nice. The Apple Pencil seems to really rock.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I am seriouly considering an iPad Pro.

I have a 6 month old 21.5" iMac, two iPhone 6s Plus's, and a 2nd generation Apple TV.

Have a REAL old original Macbook from 2006 (LOL) which is not being used right now.

Got a 64 GB Apple TV on order.

No iPad currently this why I am considering the new iPad pro. Looks realy nice. The Apple Pencil seems to really rock.

Similar here, but I do have an Air which I've coupled with a keyboard folio and that combination is fantastic, I throw it in my bag and leave my 11" MBA at home these days (hooked up to external monitor and keyboard). I love the iPad/keyboard combination and am looking forward to checking out the iPad Pro, especially if you can couple it with a similar folio/keyboard solution. The dimensions of the iPad Pro put it just slightly larger than the beautiful MacBook, and I know that my Air already performs incredibly well at the tasks for which I use it (and it's 2 years old!), so an iPad Pro with faster performance and larger screen would be even better (assuming it's not too large - I do like diminutive). With keyboard, it's like the best of both worlds, laptop utility but with iOS and all the fun and ease of use that OS brings. Very interested in this new iPad.

• Reply 8 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It's earnings day and we get reports of supply chain issues. What a shock.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

I wish they'd announce an "Air 3". Time to replace my iPad 2 but I don't need or want the larger form factor of the Pro.

what would you expect in an Air 3 that the Air 2 doesnt have? I will most likely purchase a PRO, but its contingent upon the pencil experience... 

I have an Air (1) and the only thing i miss on that is the fingerprint reader - having to swipe and enter 4 digits gets to be a bit of a niusance..

• Reply 10 of 52
    Similar here, but I do have an Air which I've coupled with a keyboard folio and that combination is fantastic, I throw it in my bag and leave my 11" MBA at home these days (hooked up to external monitor and keyboard). I love the iPad/keyboard combination and am looking forward to checking out the iPad Pro, especially if you can couple it with a similar folio/keyboard solution. The dimensions of the iPad Pro put it just slightly larger than the beautiful MacBook, and I know that my Air already performs incredibly well at the tasks for which I use it (and it's 2 years old!), so an iPad Pro with faster performance and larger screen would be even better (assuming it's not too large - I do like diminutive). With keyboard, it's like the best of both worlds, laptop utility but with iOS and all the fun and ease of use that OS brings. Very interested in this new iPad.

I like the MacBook but the processor just seems a bit gimped in it.

The MacBook Air's seem a bit long in the tooth.

A 128 GB iPad Pro just seem to be a good compromise to me.

A iPad Mini 2 Retina was the last iPad I had.
  • Reply 11 of 52

what would you expect in an Air 3 that the Air 2 doesnt have? I will most likely purchase a PRO, but its contingent upon the pencil experience... 
    I have an Air (1) and the only thing i miss on that is the fingerprint reader - having to swipe and enter 4 digits gets to be a bit of a niusance..

From early impressions, the ApplePencil sounds superb.

Apps are now the key.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rogifan wrote: »
    It's earnings day and we get reports of supply chain issues. What a shock.
    It looks like an average 21% YOY revenue increase is already assumed and accounted for in analyst expectations. I suppose that means a big pop in Apple stock needs something north of 22% improvement? The stock market is not something I'm comfortable with.
    http://goo.gl/ML4XQc
  • Reply 13 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I know alot of people who want a larger iPad and it has nothing to do with being a 'Pro'

If you have a large phone like the 6+ there really is no reason to take an iPad with you on the go.  But for home use you want something larger than the iPad.  For myself the iPad has become a home device or office device not a mobile device.  Thus a larger screen and form factor is actually a plus.

Having a 6+ doesn't affect anything. I went back down to a 6s after having the larger iPhone for a year, as it does nothing to satiate the need that an iPad serves.

That said, I agree completely that the full size iPad is already not a very mobile device...no more so than a MacBook. So, everything that is good about a 9.7" iPad will be even better with the iPad Pro.

However, I don't see a lot of people jumping on this one due to the price. The price, while fair, is extreme for the tablet market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryJW View Post

2.5M units make no sense, unless they can be built easily on demand and online ordering will be the primary method of purchase.

Apple will need to learn what the market for the iPad Pro and encourage the market, otherwise they will have no idea of the extent of the market.

Apple invented the iPad market. They probably have a clue as to size of the market for a new iPad.

• Reply 14 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

From early impressions, the ApplePencil sounds superb.

Apps are now the key.

For me it is all about the keyboard. I would rather have an iPad than a MacBook for when I'm away from my iMac...I just need to be able to do a certain level of work. The keyboard is essential, since I do lots of remote server management work.

I'm really hopeful that the iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard can do it for me. I think it can.

• Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

"what would you expect in an Air 3 that the Air 2 doesnt have?"

1.  Apple Pencil experience

2.  3D Touch

3. 4GB of RAM

4. Same magnetic connector as iPad Pro to allow it to connect to future devices.

• Reply 16 of 52
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    The price might be a problem, but that problem exists for the iPadAir 2. I paid the same for an iPadAir2 that I would pay for the Pro.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

It's going to be an Xmas present to myself. I'll just be kicking myself if they use usb 3 in place of a lighting connector for next year's model.

• Reply 18 of 52
    I'm all over this!

For you young'ns the first Apple tablet was a input device only -- no display, no APU, no nothin'. It was made by Wacom, was released for the Apple ][ in 1979 & sold for $650 -- that's $2,130.36 in 2015 dollars..

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/64701/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 19 of 52

I'm buying two of these when they're available. I find that 2.5 million figure highly suspect. This is almost a new product segment for Apple (seriously powerful iPad with first-rate stylus) and I bet they sell like hotcakes.

Several people I know at work want one, and they never get excited about new iPads.

• Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:

I like the MacBook but the processor just seems a bit gimped in it.

The MacBook Air's seem a bit long in the tooth.

A 128 GB iPad Pro just seem to be a good compromise to me.

A iPad Mini 2 Retina was the last iPad I had.

I agree completely, the MacBook, lovely as it is seems a tad gimped - I love, love, love the engineering and design, but I fear it'll struggle over the coming years to keep up, whereas the iPad Pro I know will do admirably or better given the speed of the processor (and knowing my 2 year old version still rocks) and with the addition of more RAM that device will be one you can use very productively for several years without any issues. Plus, it's iOS and I just find that OS to have matured and become much more sophisticated in the past few years. Plus, all the iOS games (I'm a board game fan) of course. :-) It's definitely a very good compromise.

Wonder if we'll see an iPad dock like they had with the gen 1 iPad that you can put on your desk (with attached keyboard) - probably lots of peripherals like that given the "smart connector" it sports.