Study: Apple Pay has more Gen X users than Millennials, but adoption slowing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    zoboomafoo wrote: »
    Can we just agree this is a far more complicated situation than you're implying?

I don't think so. Unless the vast majority of these people are also facing emergency medical expenses, their debts are completely self-inflicted.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maccaguy View Post

I know this is anecdotal, but I've found even when stores have new NFC/chip and pin terminals, they aren't used to people using them. I can't count the number of times I've been told "I didn't know you could do that" when I pay with ApplePay, either on my watch or my iPhone. That's been every where from Home Depot to visitor centers in national park areas to soft drinks vending machines. 

Home Depot updated their terminals to read chips but they don't accept Apple Pay. When Apple Pay first came out HD did accept it, accidentally, but they put a stop to it rather quickly, not sure why. I noticed a couple other establishments that upgraded to chip reading terminals but did not opt for the models that have NFC, probably because they are cheaper without it. I think the notion that if a terminal is equipped for NFC that Apple Pay automatically works is not always the case. It can be disabled for sure.

I've used it a few times, but not very many places that I shop accept it.

• Reply 43 of 49
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Now we know why they had us all do story problems in school. Guess you missed that lesson.

That's amusing, but I guess you were sick during the lessons on reading comprehension.  

Try it again: 

Weed says credit cards dominate Apple Pay and account for 86 percent of all cards linked to the service.   All cards linked to the service is "100%" of cards linked to the service.  Weed says 86% of the cards linked to the service are credit cards.  That would leave 14% that are some other kind of card.   Weed says debit cards come in second with a 49 percent share..  That's 49% of all cards linked to the service.  Weed says prepaid cards account for another 22 percent.  That would be 22% of all cards linked to the service.  Credit, debit, and prepaid are mutually exclusive.  One card is not all three of those kinds of cards.  If you're still having trouble, just read it again slowly.

Of course AI may have misquoted Weed, but you've misunderstood what AI wrote.

• Reply 44 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

Of course AI may have misquoted Weed, but you've misunderstood what AI wrote.

Here is a different version of the quote:

Quote:

Among Apple Pay users, 86 percent have linked their credit cards to make a purchase, 49 percent consumers use their debit cards and 22 percent use different types of prepaid cards, the report showed.

Clearly this statement allows for the case of people loading multiple types of cards into their devices.

The statement from AI stating "all cards" made the math so bad there had to be another explanation.

• Reply 45 of 49
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Trader Joe's is about the only place where I can use it, and it is flakey. On the plus side though, it is dramatically faster than the chip authentication. This is ultimately what will increase use for me-- as acceptance improves anyway.

Also, now at Trader Joe's, if you have a chipped card, you're no longer allowed to swipe it.... ...and inserting it (at an odd angle) - at the right time (or the transaction screws up), waiting, signing and only then being able to take it out, leaving your wallet stuck in your hand for awhile is a major step backward in convenience (more steps, more awkward to take 'em).

So if that's going to be the way of using cards going forward, it's going to create a lot of impetus toward systems like Apple Pay....

• Reply 46 of 49

It hasn't been so bad for me with Apple Pay... I do think more retailers need to use it, and I do think it matters when I try to use it, or ask them why they don't have it. I used to hear "I didn't know it could do that!" or "You're the first person who's asked", but now I hear "Oh! Several people used that the other day!" and also, "You're the third person who's asked today when we're going to get it". It's coming... Also, as more people upgrade to new phones (my mother only just recently upgraded from her 5S), I think it'll continue to be adopted. Patience!

I recently used it at Zara, Sephora, Anthropologie, Panera, the work vending machine, Rite-Aid, Home Depot (though now I hear it's been turned off-- I hope not), McDonald's, Trader Joe's... It's about a quarter of a time.

• Reply 47 of 49

I've only used Apple Pay at McDonalds and Macys, but I hardly ever shop there. Oh, and I was able to use it at the turnstiles for trains between O'Hare airport and  downtown Chicago, which was a pleasant surprise and a real time saver.

There are many other retailers where I shop that seem to have the necessary equipment but which isn't set up to use Apple Pay yet. The usage constraints are at the retail point of sale.

• Reply 48 of 49
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xSerenityx View Post

I recently used it at Zara, Sephora, Anthropologie, Panera, the work vending machine, Rite-Aid, Home Depot (though now I hear it's been turned off-- I hope not), McDonald's, Trader Joe's... It's about a quarter of a time.

I tried ApplePay at Home Depot last weekend, and unfortunately, it didn't work. Interestingly, it didn't work for the guy trying to use his chipped card in the chip reader either. 

• Reply 49 of 49
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    It's about time the watch started working flawlessly. WatchOS 1.0.1 was really unreliable only 1 successful purchase. I have had no problems with >=2.0.