Lawsuit accuses Apple's iOS 9 Wi-Fi Assist of burning through $5M+ in data

Comments

• Reply 141 of 166
    This is a very legitimate claim and I am glad it's happening. I purchased an iPhone 6s and at no point was I notified of the potential impact of the feature because it was on by default. I currently have 3 GB of data on my plan and in two consecutive months I used up all of my data within a week. Since, I have turned off the service. This is a cool feature but in no way is the user able to understand to what extent the technology is being used and at what threshold the phone decides to use cellular data over wifi. Cool feature, poorly implemented. I fully expect a check in the mail on this one.
  • Reply 142 of 166
    No matter how idiot proof Apple makes their technology, people keep creating more advanced idiots.
  • Reply 143 of 166
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So Apple should be sued because of Facebook's background activity?

Facebook isn’t built into the phone. Come on, you know better than this.

• Reply 144 of 166
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

What a crock of absolute BS. How often are these people on wifi network so poor that it forces the phone onto cellular data instead? Honestly. I'd compare their bills and usage from before the new feature. Lastly, I have fully unlimited dada with T Mobile... It's not Apple's fault they don't.

I often have to TURN OFF my Wi-Fi to get apps to run, especially if video's involved.  And that's 10 feet away from the latest Comcast router. 

But luckily I, like you, have unlimited T-Mob data (and probably unlimited "dada" too since I follow John Legere's Twitter stream sometimes)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Where else would ANYONE expect data to be transmitted when "assisting" WiFi?

This is all magic to 90%+ of the population.  If they're not led through it, if there's something for them to maybe choose to do, they're not gonna do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

RTFM...didn't these people forget? Use the app named Tips to learn the new OS every time and you will be okay

Less than 5% of people give even a cursory reading of manuals - even those put right online in front of their face....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I don't see how Apple is at fault here. Users are responsible for cellular data, not Apple. Is it that hard to not see the Wifi symbol on your phone to know if you're on a wifi network or not? People need to take responsibility of knowing how to use features on the products they buy. Apple has documentation online for all the iOS 9 features. Why should Apple be at fault for stupid people?

I personally don't know when my phones using what when I see both bars and the WiFi symbol, and I've been using tech a long time....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

I do agree that Apple should've left this off by default and prompt user about turning it on with a warning. However, it is not Apple's responsibility to manage its users' cellular data.

Exactly (your first sentence) - If a software update has implications for a user's usage bill buying in should be part of set up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

They opted-in when they installed iOS9.  Shouldn't install a new OS unless you know the implications.

Again, Apple gets the highest uptake of new OSs simply because they trust the company and do what they recommend, and maybe to get a new highlight feature or two.... ...not because they know anythings about the plumbing.

• Reply 145 of 166
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I do not have much sympathy for the aggrieved. When you set up your iPhone you should go through the settings to get data handling and privacy set according to your tastes and needs.
    iOS offers end users a fairly detailed level of control over data usage. Maybe next time they might look over the settings before getting dinged.
    If I were the Judge I would dismiss it as frivolous
  • Reply 146 of 166
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I often have to TURN OFF my Wi-Fi to get apps to run, especially if video's involved.  And that's 10 feet away from the latest Comcast router.

Found your problem.

• Reply 147 of 166
    Which sounds plausible except for the simple fact that this feature simply does not work for streaming video.

That's the entire point: any app you already have set to NOT work on LTE/cell data will not work on this feature. And some are already blocked by default (video streaming).

Essentially there is no case where someone's kids are streaming over WIFI, suddenly experience a WIFI loss, and have the video continue to steam over cell data with this feature.

If your kids are causing $20 to $40 worth of over charges, you need to turn off the ability to use high data apps on cell data all together.

CharlesJR
  • Reply 148 of 166
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Simple solution. Apple, turn OFF by default installing ios 9. Let user go into settings and turn it ON if wanted.
  • Reply 149 of 166
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

Simple solution. Apple, turn OFF by default installing ios 9. Let user go into settings and turn it ON if wanted.

I wouldn't be stunned if the next minor update does just that.

• Reply 150 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGreg View Post

I do not have much sympathy for the aggrieved. When you set up your iPhone you should go through the settings to get data handling and privacy set according to your tastes and needs.

iOS offers end users a fairly detailed level of control over data usage. Maybe next time they might look over the settings before getting dinged.

ESPECIALLY if your data budget is tight and you'll get financially punished for exceeding the limits. [Though IIIRC don't people get warned when they approach limits?]

• Reply 151 of 166
    davgreg wrote: »

Generally I agree as shown in my previous posts in this thread. The weak point here, as I was given to u der stand it, is that Apple did not provide any documentation of that feature. So you have to not just RTFM because there is none, but you'd have to leave through all settings and find the new one, and/or google it.
  • Reply 152 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Generally I agree as shown in my previous posts in this thread. The weak point here, as I was given to u der stand it, is that Apple did not provide any documentation of that feature. So you have to not just RTFM because there is none, but you'd have to leave through all settings and find the new one, and/or google it.

PDF files of current iOS manuals are always available from the iBookstore and, I expect, from Apple support.

Page 4: iOS 9.1 iPhone Userguide

"

“Note: Apps and services that send or receive data over a cellular network may incur additional fees. Contact your carrier for information about your iPhone service plan and fees.”

Excerpt From: Apple Inc. “iPhone User Guide for iOS 9.1.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/gVOT9.l

And:

"

“If Cellular Data is off, all data services use only Wi-Fi—including email, web browsing, push notifications, and other services. If Cellular Data is on, carrier charges may apply. For example, using certain features and services that transfer data, such as Siri and Messages, could result in charges to your data plan.”

Excerpt From: Apple Inc. “iPhone User Guide for iOS 9.1.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/gVOT9.l

And most specifically:

"

Turn Wi-Fi Assist on or off: If Wi-Fi connectivity is poor, Wi-Fi Assist uses cellular data to boost the signal.

Note: Using data over a cellular network may incur additional fees.

Set whether cellular data is used for apps and services. Go to Settings > Cellular, then turn cellular data on or off for any app that can use cellular data. If a setting is off, iPhone uses only Wi-Fi for that service. The iTunes setting includes both iTunes Match and automatic downloads from the iTunes Store and the App Store.”"

• Reply 153 of 166
    jfc1138 wrote: »

PDF files of current iOS manuals are always available from the iBookstore and, I expect, from Apple support.

Page 4: iOS 9.1 iPhone Userguide
    "
    “Note: Apps and services that send or receive data over a cellular network may incur additional fees. Contact your carrier for information about your iPhone service plan and fees.”

And:
    "
    “If Cellular Data is off, all data services use only Wi-Fi—including email, web browsing, push notifications, and other services. If Cellular Data is on, carrier charges may apply. For example, using certain features and services that transfer data, such as Siri and Messages, could result in charges to your data plan.”

And most specifically:
    "
    Turn Wi-Fi Assist on or off: If Wi-Fi connectivity is poor, Wi-Fi Assist uses cellular data to boost the signal.
    Note: Using data over a cellular network may incur additional fees.
    Set whether cellular data is used for apps and services. Go to Settings > Cellular, then turn cellular data on or off for any app that can use cellular data. If a setting is off, iPhone uses only Wi-Fi for that service. The iTunes setting includes both iTunes Match and automatic downloads from the iTunes Store and the App Store.”"

Sigh. So we're back to post #115 I suppose.
    Thanks for the links.
    I have to admit I can't remember when last time I checked the manual. OTOH until now I have always been able to manage without such "surprises".
  • Reply 154 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Sigh. So we're back to post #115 I suppose.

Thanks for the links.

I have to admit I can't remember when last time I checked the manual. OTOH until now I have always been able to manage without such "surprises".

As I've unlimited data I didn't bother to look at this, OTOH had I concerns as presumably some did being on budget plans I sure would have availed myself of the available resources. MY money after all. What with what goes on with AT&T I have been looking at my consumption and poking at things to reduce it sometimes as an experiment to get a gauge on what I might need going forward and to my eye there are a LOT of tools available.

• Reply 155 of 166
    This kind of hidden harm is starting to crop up in other aspects of Apple%u2019s software too, such as not telling users that if they upgrade their iOS they no longer will be able to perform backups of their mobile devices through iTunes on their Macs unless those users upgrade their Mac OS X to make it compatible with the newer iTunes (happened to me!). I still can do a bulk back up of my Apple mobile device to iCloud, but I truly miss being able to back things up to my Mac, where I get more selective control of which things to back up and which things not to back up. Sadly, with the arrival of iOS 9.0.1 and now 9.0.2, I can%u2019t backup up my device to iTunes because the iTunes 11.4 I am using on my iMac cannot %u201Csee%u201D my mobile device any more. That%u2019s infuriating.

When I brought this problem to the attention of Tim Cook%u2019s office earlier this month, his staff said, in essence, %u201Ceither upgrade your Mac OS X so that you can get the latest iTunes, or else do without mobile-device-to-computer backup.%u201D That sucks. I sure wish Apple had warned me of that undesirable (and unanticipated) consequence *before* I updated my iOS from 9.0 so that I could have made an informed choice ahead of time.
  • Reply 156 of 166

This kind of hidden harm is starting to crop up in other aspects of Apple’s software too, such as not telling users that if they upgrade their iOS they no longer will be able to perform backups of their mobile devices through iTunes on their Macs unless those users upgrade their Mac OS X to make it compatible with the newer iTunes (happened to me!). I still can do a bulk back up of my Apple mobile device to iCloud, but I truly miss being able to back things up to my Mac, where I get more selective control of which things to back up and which things not to back up. Sadly, with the arrival of iOS 9.0.1 and now 9.0.2, I can’t backup up my device to iTunes because the iTunes 11.4 I am using on my iMac cannot “see” my mobile device any more. That’s infuriating.

When I brought this problem to the attention of Tim Cook’s office earlier this month, his staff said, in essence, “either upgrade your Mac OS X so that you can get the latest iTunes, or else do without mobile-device-to-computer backup.” That sucks. I sure wish Apple had warned me of that undesirable (and unanticipated) consequence *before* I updated my iOS from 9.0 so that I could have made an informed choice ahead of time.

• Reply 157 of 166
    I disabled the blasted Wi-Fi Assist.

Admittedly, I listen to podcasts and Spotify…mostly on Wi-Fi !!!! Yet after updating to iOS 9.02 I gobbled up 11GB of cellular data within 24-36 hours ???????? Yes, I have "unlimited" data with Sprint, so I don't expect overage charges. However, considering how agonizingly slow my data speeds are with Sprint (0.09Mbps) with them is, 11GB even on full cellular is inconceivable!!!!

BTW with such lousy cell coverage, Wi-Fi Assist actually was detrimental to my web page load speeds, not the other way around.
  • Reply 158 of 166
    Apple haven't done anything wrong. They have provided a service with the latest iOS update, and decided to leave WiFi Assist on be default. Lots of settings and services provided by all types of technical products are default on.

It is the consumer's responsibility to educate themselves on the changes upgrading to a newer version of software will bring. Information on WiFi Assist was released more than two months ago (see this article: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/08/ios-9-beta-wifi-assist/).

Consumers who are too lazy to properly educate themselves about the devices and software they use, then complain and demand changes for their own ignorance, are what dumbs the world down to the point where little thinking is required to use devices, software, and products in general.

I suppose these people will also complain that they have to refill their hybrid car with gas every now and then.

PS: If WiFi Assist switched to cellular data when in another country, and roaming wasn't turned on by the user prior, then I would agree with the outrage. Fortunately they had the good sense not to do that.
  • Reply 159 of 166

24 straight hours of "listening" to podcasts and other audio files totaled 11 GBs of data?

• Reply 160 of 166
    [@]jfc1138[/@]
    48 hours at most after updating to 9.02. My cellphone statement billed the day before I updated and usage was under 2gigs.

I could call Sprint for how much on which days, but I upgraded to 9.0 on 9/17, cell data was reset 9/20, statement billed 9/24 with no jump in usage. What days did 9.01 and 9.02 ship?