Lawsuit accuses Apple's iOS 9 Wi-Fi Assist of burning through $5M+ in data

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 166
    1st1st Posts: 443member

possibly "download" podcast instead of "streaming"...

• Reply 162 of 166
    [@]1st[/@]
    No room on my 16G for downloading. Streaming it is, then.
  • Reply 163 of 166
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSmiley View Post

@jfc1138

48 hours at most after updating to 9.02. My cellphone statement billed the day before I updated and usage was under 2gigs.

I could call Sprint for how much on which days, but I upgraded to 9.0 on 9/17, cell data was reset 9/20, statement billed 9/24 with no jump in usage. What days did 9.01 and 9.02 ship?

Thanks. Video files I could easily see so maybe I was just confused by "listen to"... or was that the total for refilling a much larger library and not what you played during that time? I could see any number at all I suppose were a library being refilled: my music alone would consume 19.7 GB while videos would be 11.4 podcasts 8.2 and photos 6.2....  big transfers rather than a day or two of actual consumption? I hadn't thought of that.

ETA: I hadn't seen above while I was replying. Yeah streaming, especially video, gobbles data. I did a test once on AMTRAK with crappy WiFi so I turned it off and went LTE and watched maybe an hour or so of the Tour de France and woosh: more than a GB just went away.

• Reply 164 of 166
    1st1st Posts: 443member

some of the podcast are data intensive, even for animated clouds, graphics, (even for weather app.  some of them with lightening, sound... all are cost you to be impressed).  etc.  I am data sensitive type: disable graphics on my computer browser, use text only, so you don't download any pop up window with latest movie ads.  well, I guess I am old chap... essential data is the only stuff I want. no time no money for the others.

• Reply 165 of 166
    Let's also not forget that when the phone is using Cellular it also drains the battery A LOT faster than when on a Wi-Fi connection. With this setting enabled I come home from work with 25% battery and only moderate usage throughout the day. I thought it was background app-refresh for some apps but I found I was draining more battery when idle and on Cellular. Switching back and forth does not save battery either. Who at Apple thought this was a bright idea?

After iOS 9 I noticed an increase in cellular data usage, about 50-100mb a day, I could not figure out what the cause was. This explains a lot. If I am on Wi-Fi, STAY on Wi-Fi.

When I installed iOS 9 there was no opt-in message and it's poor practice to give someone an update without making them aware it will be active upon install. Yes, they had it logged in their changelog when I went to "View Info" of the new update, but it did not explain to me that I would be using more data or draining more battery.
  • Reply 166 of 166
    [@]jfc1138[/@]
    Of course, how could I forget YouTube videos and auto play vids on Twitter?

What's disturbing was all of that time I was on my Wi-Fi at home and I spend most of my time in my LR/kitchen/DR combo where my modem is. Not much variation in signal strength there. Fortunately, I heard about the issue from the Today in iOS podcast.