Latest iPhone 6s ad features Bill Hader, Siri and Nigerian prince

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple posted a new iPhone 6s commercial to its YouTube page on Tuesday touting the handset's new Siri Hands Free feature with the help of comedian and actor Bill Hader.

Apple's latest 30-second iPhone 6s commercial takes a humorous look at Siri's always-on Siri Hands Free feature that lets users invoke the virtual assistant by simply saying, "Hey Siri." The functionality powered by Apple's new M9 motion coprocessor, which is integrated into the iPhone 6s' A9 SoC.

In the ad, Hader, his hands full with a comically large sandwich, asks Siri to read out unread emails. Siri responds, saying there is one message from "Prince Oseph," an obvious play on the ubiquitous "Nigerian Prince" phishing scam that promises to deposit massive amounts of cash in a recipient's bank account. After reading the email, Siri asks if Hader would like to get in on deal worth "millions of currency," which of course he does.

Apple previously tapped Hader to star in a sketch that opened WWDC 2015 in June, and included the comedian in one of the first iPhone 6s ads that aired in September.

Hader's spot follows another iPhone 6s ad that ran yesterday featuring NBA MVP Steph Curry. A-list celebrities have featured prominently in Apple's most recent ad campaigns, including Jamie Foxx, Serena Gomez, Chloe Sevigny and a multitude of music icons. The company is apparently banking on star power to appeal to a wider audience, though sales are hardly stagnant, as a quarterly earnings report today revealed record iPhone sales of 48 million units for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Where is this "Chloe Sevigny" one? I'm intrigued.
  • Reply 2 of 13

I would never let that scammer interrupt an epic sandwich like that.

• Reply 3 of 13
    "Serena" Gomez? Spellcheck, aisle 3!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    matrix07 wrote: »

It's among the most recent batch of short clips. She plays the woman trying on a bunch of outfits with different Watch bands
  • Reply 5 of 13
    xx
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    matrix07 wrote: »

Chloe Sevigny is in this one:

[VIDEO]

Selena Gomez and others (including Bill Hader) are in the main one:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Loved the commercial. But made me want that sandwich more than the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    More realistically the ad should have been an opportunity to buy MSFT from his broker.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen714 View Post

There's nothing funny or entertaining about a Nigerian Prince. It's either a criminal endeavor or blackface but Nigerian is Nigerian.

Whatever. Sign me up to make millions of currency!!!

• Reply 10 of 13
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Anyone know who is doing the voiceover in the main ad?   It sounds like it might be Lake Bell.  I think the voiceover is incredibly well done.

• Reply 11 of 13
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    LOL
  • Reply 12 of 13
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen714 View Post

There's nothing funny or entertaining about a Nigerian Prince. It's either a criminal endeavor or blackface but Nigerian is Nigerian.

Right.  So we should never make jokes about criminal enterprises.   We should never, for example, make jokes about the mob- no one would ever do that..   Sure.   And I don't know what "Nigerian is Nigerian" means.   

• Reply 13 of 13
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Loved the commercial. But made me want that sandwich more than the iPhone.