Apple Watch sales topped $1.7 billion in five months

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2015
Though Apple won't share specific sales figures for its new Apple Watch, disclosures made by the company this week reveal that the wearable device reached more than $1.69 billion in sales by the end of September.

As part of the company's quarterly 10-Q filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Apple said that more than 100 percent of the year-over-year revenue growth in its "Other Products" category was attributed to the Apple Watch.

Apple's catch-all category grew from $8.379 billion in 2014 to $10.067 billion in fiscal 2015. That means the Apple Watch represented at least $1.688 billion in sales for the fiscal year, as first noted by VentureBeat.

Of course, the Apple Watch could have actually accounted for considerably more than that sum, as it remains unknown how the rest of Apple's "Other Products" performed in 2015. Also lumped in that group are the Apple TV, Beats hardware, and the iPod lineup, which saw a refresh to the iPod touch in July.

Apple's "Other Products" category had been shrinking until the third fiscal quarter of fiscal 2015, when the Apple Watch launched. During that three-month period, Apple's "Other Products" saw a 56 percent sequential increase in revenue to $2.64 billion.

The Apple Watch didn't launch until April 24, meaning it was only available for just over five months of Apple's fiscal 2015, which concluded on Sept. 26.

Apple has declined to reveal unit sales for the Apple Watch, citing competitive reasons. In this week's quarterly earnings report, the company simply said that Apple Watch sales grew last quarter, and were ahead of their internal expectations.

But the company did reveal in July that that the Apple Watch had outsold the first-generation iPad through its first nine weeks. For perspective, Apple sold 3 million iPads in the touchscreen tablet's first 80 days.

Overall, Apple's "Other Products" category grew 61 percent year over year in fiscal 2015. It's also likely to grow again this quarter with the debut of the new fourth-generation Apple TV, featuring a higher starting price of $149.

As for the Apple Watch, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said this week that his company is in the "early innings of this promising new part of our business."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63

Is that a lot?

• Reply 2 of 63
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Look like it's been under 4M units sold. That means at most 10M/12 months. I guess Sog35's 15M units won't even come close. Next generation then, hopefully. Apple Watch was the first portable product that I was torn between buying or not buying.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

$flop

• Reply 4 of 63
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Look like it's been under 4M units sold. That means at most 10M/12 months. I guess Sog35's 15M units won't even come close. Next generation then, hopefully. Apple Watch was the first portable product that I was torn between buying or not buying.

Personally looking forward to 2nd and 3rd gen Apple Watches.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    iPod sales are continually dropping by double digits each quarter, as expected. So there's a bit of wiggle room here. How have aTv sales been doing during this period, for example. If aTv sales have been static, then it's possible that Apple Watch sales have been taking up the slack from falling iPod sales.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    ireland wrote: »
    $flop
    $5B business is not a flop, dude. Wearable devices are not in the prime time yet...well especially when it's accessory of the phone and it costs $500 average.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    melgross wrote: »
    iPod sales are continually dropping by double digits each quarter, as expected. So there's a bit of wiggle room here. How have aTv sales been doing during this period, for example. If aTv sales have been static, then it's possible that Apple Watch sales have been taking up the slack from falling iPod sales.

You also had a new iPod Touch during this quarter, so it's possible that arrested the fall for a while.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    melgross wrote: »

It would be a shame if Apple ever dropped their Shuffle. It's the only thing I use for running. I'd never wear a watch or use my iPhone while running again. Too much distraction and have no use for tracking every calorie or step on a chart.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How are people arriving at sales when we don't know the ASP? I know some are guessing a $500 ASP but based on what? We have no idea what the mix is between Sport and SS models.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    rogifan wrote: »
    How are people arriving at sales when we don't know the ASP? I know some are guessing a $500 ASP but based on what? We have no idea what the mix is between Sport and SS models.

Just more difficult-to-believe speculation based on extremely thin data.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Look like it's been under 4M units sold. That means at most 10M/12 months.

Included in there would be some channel fill, for example Best Buy, altho that doesn't matter all that much. A sale to Best Buy is still a sale. As someone else mentioned too, without ASP figures it's just guessing as to the number of units "sold" even using the revenue guesstimate.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

what other company can create a billion $ business in just 5 months, and wall street thinks apple is on its way out. Yeah they have no clue, We know Google has wasted more money than this on all their ideas that no one is willing to pay for.

• Reply 13 of 63
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Wow! $5B for iPhone accessory? Tremendous.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Personally looking forward to 2nd and 3rd gen Apple Watches.

and those will most likely be on the same timeline as the ATV was for gen 2 and 3. Everyone could be waiting a while. I am curious to see if they take the Ipod approach, start high and work their way down. They did not do that with Ipads or iphones since the bottoms feeders moved in too fast with cheap Okay product that most people just bought.

• Reply 15 of 63
    Slightly related... I noticed several times during the rugby World Cup semi-final that the Argentinian coach Daniel Hourcade - whose emotional sobbing at the result gained quite a bit of TV and press coverage with repeat showings - as did the Apple Watch on his wrist.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

$5B business is not a flop, dude. Wearable devices are not in the prime time yet...well especially when it's accessory of the phone and it costs $500 average.

@Ireland became an iHater a few years ago. I’m not sure what the reason was anymore but it was a sudden change as I recall.

• Reply 17 of 63
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Questionable conclusion
  • Reply 18 of 63

This seems not all bad to me.  Granted I say that no knowing 98% of the facts...:D

I am not sure this needs to be a standout hit for Apple.  If viewed as an accessory these numbers are huge.  There is also the discussion on how this plays into the "ecosystem"...

There are a lot of ways to slice it.  Right now it doesn't seem to shabby to me.

I would love to hear other thoughts on this if they are constructive to the discussion.

• Reply 19 of 63
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Any other company would be hailed as a great industry leader with those numbers. Apple seems to get banged for each success because it's "not enough". Now that Watch OS/2 is out and improves Apple Watch's capabilities even more sales are going to increase tremendously. Developers are now able to write native apps that don't rely on the iPhone connection.

Apple has designed the Watch in a modular way. I think their intention is to be able to replace the internal module of existing Watches when the hardware is improved. In the high end models who would want to replace the gold case and pay another $10k+? Of course this might not be the case for the low end models.

IBM's recent announcement of offering the Apple Watch as part of their corporate fitness program is huge. (They will continue to offer FitBit) how many other corporations and insurance companies will make similar offers?

Apple Watch sales will continue to grow as Apple adds more functionality to the existing model. I don't think there's any reason to wait for the next generation. This is a product that is very much like the iPad. There's no reason for a 1 or 2 year purchase cycle like the iPhone. But internal upgrades will sell easily.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    ireland wrote: »
    $flop

Since an iPhone is needed, maybe the goal was to increase iPhone sales...

Actually, I see the ?watch as an addition to the iPhone ecosystem; enhancing the reasons to switch to an iPhone, or stay with one. While the ?watch may not be the reason you or I like the iPhone, it only needs to be the reason a percentage of buyers do. Some people chose the iPhone for the camera, some for the wealth of apps, some for the ?Pay... and so on.

Apple's goal is to make the buying proposition for an iPhone to be overwhelming, and the best things to add to the mix are things that are hard or impossible to match by its competitors... like 3D touch, for example.