.Mac no need to wait any more...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
a letter from apple:

[quote] Dear .Mac trial member,

Since we announced .Mac in July, we've welcomed thousands of new members into the .Mac community, and we can't wait to add more. As a former iTools member, now when you convert from a trial to a paid .Mac membership before September 30, 2002, your first year of .Mac membership will automatically be extended to September 30, 2003. That means that the sooner you join, the more time you get to enjoy the full benefits of .Mac membership, including expanded iDisk and Mac.com mail storage, Virex virus protection, peace of mind with Backup, and more. So join today and start enjoying those benefits right away. We look forward to welcoming you into the .Mac community.

Sincerely,

The .Mac Team

Apple Computer

P.S. If you've already converted from your free trial to a paid membership, rest assured. We've automatically extended your membership to September 30, 2003. Stay tuned for more membership benefits coming soon!

<hr></blockquote>

Oh well... looks like I should have subscribed from the beginning....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This will of course turn into a .Mac sucks vs. rules debate, but before it does...

I finally went ahead and joined. I was planning on waiting until September 28th (giving myself an extra day to forget) to join since the year's membership started when you joined rather than at the end of the intro period. Now this has eliminated the benefit of "squatting" on my iTools account uintil the last possible second. I'm sure lots of other people figured this out and were waiting too. Obviously, that's what prompted this change in policy -- a lack of sign-ups. Should be interesting to see how much further they'll go if they don't get the volume they expected. (Apple said somewhere that they expect about 300,000 .Mac subcribers eventually, obviously way down from the 2.2 million acounts they had with iTools.)

Should I give you my two cents about .Mac now? Nah....
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I upgraded my iTools account on Sunday. It feels good knowing that I'm a paying .Mac customer and am no longer milking off of Apple generosity.

I personally think my $50 was worth it. I downloaded Virex. Ran it, but didn't find an Viruses. What can I say, it's a Mac. I downloaded Backup and used it. Can anyone explain to me why its icon is an umbrella? I love the Webmail feature. Large iDisk is great. Don't need 15MB of email, but so what.

Anyways .Mac is great, although I hope they add some new features to make it a lot better than iTools, instead of slightly better.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    [quote]Originally posted by Son of Pismo:

<strong> Can anyone explain to me why its icon is an umbrella?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Give me shelter?

Or

Save it for a rainy day...

Screed ...Apple is the king of Human Interface for good reason.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Son of Pismo:

<strong>Can anyone explain to me why its icon is an umbrella?</strong><hr></blockquote>

My hunch is that Apple's rationale is the same as for the Travelers Group (Citigroup's insurance arm): an umbrella provides protection (literally, from rain, figuratively, from suffering data loss).

Escher

PS: I signed up for .Mac after receiving the e-mail on Sunday as well. I hope that Apple will either reduce the $100 annual fee to the $50 promotional fee a year from now or, even better, will add virtual domain hosting to .Mac. VDH would make me feel much better about shelling out that much money.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>