Eddy Cue dodges questions about original TV content, says Apple TV not for cord-cutters

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
In a TV interview posted on Thursday, Eddy Cue -- Apple's senior VP for Internet Software and Services -- dodged questions about original programming, while downplaying the possibility of using the new Apple TV as a cord-cutting option.

Even with its new features, the fourth-generation Apple TV will be an "add-on for most people," Cue told CNNMoney. This is because apps like ABC, CNN, and WatchESPN will still demand a cable or satellite subscription, he commented.

The executive nevertheless argued that the Apple TV doesn't need exclusive content, since the product does things that no other set-top does, referring to its app-based interface. In the future, he suggested, live TV shows might react to app-based viewer feedback, though no such system is currently in place.

Asked about rumors that Apple will follow companies like Netflix into making original programming, Cue side-stepped the matter.

"We love working with our partners. We're great at technology, and they're great at creating content, and we think that's a great partnership to have," he said.

The interview didn't touch on Apple's anticipated streaming TV service, which would presumably play home to any original shows. The service is thought to be mired in content negotiations and won't debut until sometime in 2016.

Apple began taking online orders for the updated Apple TV on Monday, and the product will hit store shelves on Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This is an interesting statement, "not for cord cutter." That is a very specific statement. Kind like when Steve Jobs said Apple will never make a PDA, but made Iphone which infact killed the PDA, and you can argue that the Iphone was everything that the PDA was suppose to be but failed to live up to.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Kind like when Steve Jobs said Apple will never make a PDA

Remake is a more appropriate terms ;) Don't forget the Newton. 

• Reply 3 of 44
    This is excellent wordsmithing by Cue. "Not for cord cutters" is the perfect statement for Apple to be making at this time.

As sog35 stated, it's about building the user base and then--BAM!-- hitting the industry upside the head with what Apple does best (I don't know what would be in the case of TV!).
  • Reply 4 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    This is excellent wordsmithing by Cue. "Not for cord cutters" is the perfect statement for Apple to be making at this time.

As sog35 stated, it's about building the user base and then--BAM!-- hitting the industry upside the head with what Apple does best (I don't know what would be in the case of TV!).
    Sounds as tho he's acknowledging problems getting content subscriptions directly thru iTunes, breaking the deals cable companies have with them. Someday Apple TV will probably be a pseudo cable company, but not now. For the time-being it's more of a Roku with better games, prettier hardware, but a higher price IMHO.

Mr Cue was apparently doing a little off-the-cuff talking too so perhaps we shouldn't read all that much into his comments anyway. There may be no hidden meanings at all.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member

Thats a bit of a disturbing answer.

• Reply 6 of 44
    I am a cable cutter and I have an AppleTV (gen 3) and some of the channels (or apps) operate either with ads (YouTube, Vevo) or as paid streaming (Netflix, Hulu, HBO), or pay-per-view/cloud (iTunes Store). If you find these sources sufficient, as I do, you can totally use AppleTV for cord cutting. My cable provider has been reduced to a dumb pipe.
  • Reply 7 of 44

I think all Mr. Cue is saying is that Apple TV will have its own special appeal—like all of Apple's products. They're not meant to necessarily dominate their respective markets. But for those customers who recognize and value Apple's products, they'll be the best that Apple can make them, and they'll continue to improve over time.

• Reply 8 of 44
    msantti wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a disturbing answer.

Why would it be disturbing to you? I thought you liked negative news about Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Why would it be disturbing to you? I thought you liked negative news about Apple.
    Is it negative news? I didn't think it was, and I'm surprised you thought so.
  • Reply 10 of 44

I think his statement about it being "not for cord cutters" was taken out of context. First of all, those are not Eddy's words. He only said yes to the interviewer's question. They were specifically talking about being able to access content from providers like ESPN and Eddy simply said that you will still need a traditional TV subscription to access the content on the app. We already knew this. He never said that you won't get any use out of the ATV if you're a cord cutter (like me).

• Reply 11 of 44
    sog35 wrote: »
    Here is a good read about AppleTV by IMO the best Apple analysist in the world Horace Dediu

http://www.asymco.com/2015/10/26/does-apple-tv-deserve-to-exist/

An odd open-ended conclusion coming from the seldom Apple doubting Mr. Didiu:
    "Is this new Apple TV up to it? We’ll have to wait and see. But then again, if not this one, then another one will. TV will not remain unchanged forever."
  • Reply 12 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I didn't hear any dodging, he told it like it is. He acknowledged that in the current climate most people would still need cable to use the Apps that require that kind of authentication. But they have convinced several big players to go ala carte instead, and are trying to add more.

I think their plans are as simple as that. There are 2 ways to for Apps to go...the self-subscription, or the cable authentication. The former better than the latter for cord cutting. Apple will focus one at a time on providers to force more onto the other side of the table.

• Reply 13 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't get the big deal about cord cutting. So you replace cable with a bunch of stand alone subscriptions or some skinny bundle that's basically just like cable but fewer channels? More and more cable/sat providers are offering on demand channels where you can watch things when you want. Until there is real ala carte channel by channel options that can be built into a package I couldn't care less about cord cutting. But even if ever happened I'm sure it would be quite expensive.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    I am asking [@]msantti[/@] why he thinks this is "disturbing."
  • Reply 15 of 44
    I think he stated it very well. The best way to market this device is based on the additional value it brings to the user experience. This is going to attract the most volume. I also agree that Apple needs this volume to shape the future of television. Eventually the content owners will need to change the model. I also believe that future content will not be locked up in a few places as it is right now. Specialty streams and independent original content will become more prevalent. It is just easier to make good content for cheap then it was just a decade ago.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    for me personally it comes down to 2 things:

1. Better user interface. Cable/Sat user interfaces are HORRIBLE.

2. Better hardware.  Cable/Sat hardware SUCKS and is expensive.  If you have 3 TV's you are paying $60 a month just to rent those crappy boxes.

AppleTV would solve both of those problems and I'd be willing to pay the exact amount I pay the cable companies.  In fact I'd be willing to pay MORE for the same channels with an AppleTV if it means a better UI and hardware I can OWN instead of paying hundreds each year in equipment rent.
    Tivo Roamio. Refurbished including lifetime service. Less than $300 if you time it right.
  • Reply 17 of 44

I agree that right now its not for cord-cutters.  The content providers are icing them out right now (except maybe CBS).  But yeah, once they get enough users, then it'll be for cord-cutters.  I would pay just about anything (within reason) to get the ala carte channels I want over my existing Internet connection.  But considering the Apple TV has zero installs right now, they have their work cut out for them.  

• Reply 18 of 44
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    This is all about building up a massive install base.  Apple does not want to limit the AppleTV to people who are cord cutters.  Its a device for EVERYONE with a TV and internet.

Once their install base is large enough ( 30-50 million)  then they will have the leverage to push out deals with the content providers.

He's tempering expectations - it does a lot of great things, but will not replace a cable subscription (yet). By most accounts, getting content providers to play ball has been a challenge. I suspect this will change within the next 12 months.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I just figure that Apple would want people to cut the cord?

• Reply 20 of 44

Its not a huge money maker like the iPhone so one has to wonder about their long term commitment to the product.

I ordered one but this launch seem really low key.