Amazon yanks Apple TV and Chromecast from digital shelves

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
Making good on promises to halt sales of set-top streaming devices competing with its own Fire TV lineup, Amazon on Thursday removed all Apple TV and Google Chromecast products from its online store.

As seen in the screenshot above, Amazon.com is no longer selling Apple TV or other streaming devices like Chromecast in a bid to boost juice Prime Video subscriptions and sales of first-party Fire TV and Fire TV Stick units. The company first announced plans to discontinue competing products earlier this month, saying the decision was made in an effort to prevent "customer confusion."

"It's important that the streaming media players we sell interact well with Prime Video in order to avoid customer confusion," Amazon said at the time, noting its Prime Video service has become an important facet of the members-only service.

Alongside Amazon's own Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, the online retailer will continue sales of certain devices that support Prime Video, including Roku's hardware and consoles like Xbox and PlayStation. The company has not specified why a branded Amazon app or channel was never created for Apple TV, though it is assumed Amazon was not keen on paying Apple's mandated 30 percent cut of content sales.

The move also suggests Amazon has no intention of developing an app to be distributed on the new tvOS App Store, supported by Apple's fourth-generation Apple TV. Early reviews lauded the new set-top box's powerful hardware and slick user interface, but shaved off a few points for lack of unique content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Come Friday (crossing fingers) my Fire TV will be my new coaster. Speaking of Amazon, I did read an Amazon rep confirmed they are making an app for the Apple TV so users can access Prime Music and Videos. 

• Reply 2 of 47
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Give them a glass of milk and a cookie.

Maybe that will make them feel better.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I’m guessing this means no Amazon Instant Video app for the new Apple TV 4 anytime soon.

• Reply 4 of 47
    ("Thump Creeeeak")

I have a bad feeling about this.

For Amazon.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

...Speaking of Amazon, I did read an Amazon rep confirmed they are making an app for the Apple TV so users can access Prime Music and Videos. 

That would be worth reading, do you have a link?

• Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stompy View Post

I read somewhere that a spokesperson had nothing to say at this time.

Neither a denial or confirmation.

Apparently Apple has no issue about it.

But I guess you can Airplay from either an iPhone or iPad. Not the most optimal way.

I do have Prime currently.

• Reply 7 of 47
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stompy View Post

I actually saw it on the Apple forums. Someone posted a screen shot of a conversation with an Amazon rep who confirmed they were making a Apple TV app. Not sure if its true or not, but the screen shot looked real. 

• Reply 8 of 47
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Well, it would be very easy for Google and Apple to retaliate. They could just ban any application made by Amazon from their App Store. No kindle, no prime video app, no Amazon shopping, no nothing. Let's hope it won't come to that and Amazon would soon come to its sense. nonetheless shouldn't DoJ look into Amazon's hostile behavior?
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Shooting ones self in the foot is no way to clear up "customer confusion"!
  • Reply 10 of 47
    And i will continue not to use their prime video service because I have an Apple TV and I will not buy or want a second device. Period. And their phone app is ridiculous, requiring you to buy content on the internet first.
    Back to drawing board Amazon, really.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

Well, it would be very easy for Google and Apple to retaliate. They could just ban any application made by Amazon from their App Store. No kindle, no prime video app, no Amazon shopping, no nothing. Let's hope it won't come to that and Amazon would soon come to its sense. nonetheless shouldn't DoJ look into Amazon's hostile behavior?

I think the whole E-Book thing was BS.

Amazon should have been the one investigated.

Apple trying to make the publishers a few more bucks and Amazon wants to run them into the ground.

What is up with that?

• Reply 12 of 47
    Purchased mine via Best Buy just to send a big "Screw You" to Amazon. :)
  • Reply 13 of 47
    I am bummed as I have about 30 Z-Wave devices on about everything I have here at home. They are currently paired with a Wink Hub that is connected to Amazon's Alexa (formerly Echo) home automation and music player. I can turn on the lights just by asking. Was hoping for an early bridge or support for HomeKit by Amazon & GE/Quirky + Wink's hub. But they can co-exist just fine with Siri and Apple TV, they already do. Still I want more and would happily replace Alexa with Siri soon as Siri can control Z Wave home automation.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    I think that Amazon is pushing both the legal and PR boundaries here in taking on two of the most powerful firms in tech, and will probably have to back out of this move with its tail between its legs.

Or get smacked. Badly.
  • Reply 15 of 47

Smells like it's time to unload your Amazon stock.

• Reply 16 of 47
    Meh. Yet the trolls shit on Apple for removing some fitness wristband from Apple Retail store shelves.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Well if Amazon is not going to make an Apple TVOS app for their video streaming then I will have to consider cancelling my Prime subscription. *rolls eyes*
  • Reply 18 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Of course they'll be a Prime app...
  • Reply 19 of 47
    And neither Apple.com or Apple retail stores have ever carried Amazon Fire TV, Roku, or ChromeCast products. If there's some nefarious story here, it flew right over my head evidently.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I think that Amazon is pushing both the legal and PR boundaries here in taking on two of the most powerful firms in tech, and will probably have to back out of this move with its tail between its legs.

Or get smacked. Badly.
    I don't see why. Like any shop they can stock or not stock whatever they wish.

The only reason they will change their mind is due to customer pressure.