Apple begins delivering 4th-gen Apple TV, launches App Store and final tvOS build

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2015
The first online orders of the new Apple TV are beginning to reach customers, just as Apple is officially launching the device's App Store and seeding the finished version of tvOS.

Image Credit: <a href=@stroughtonsmith on Twitter" height="371" />
Image Credit: @stroughtonsmith on Twitter

Buyers in New Zealand who opted for the fastest shipping are now receiving deliveries, since it's already Friday in the country, according to MacRumors. Shipments should soon hit Australia and Asia, and continue westward.

Coinciding with this, Apple is distributing the final tvOS build to developers and reviewers. A gold master was actually issued over a week ago on Oct. 21, and it's not clear what changes if any have been made.

Users can, at least, now access the App Store and install the current assortment of apps. Essential titles like YouTube and Netflix are ready to go.

The device will only officially hit retail stores on Friday. A 32-gigabyte model is $149 U.S., while 64 gigabytes is $199.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Just got shipping notification from Apple. Tomorrow by noon!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    helgehelge Posts: 11member
    No notification - means no delivery. Heard the new Apple TV will be available in Apple Stores too?
    In that case buying over Apple Online Store became pointless for everything, but bto.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    is there a way to see whats in the store without having the Apple TV yet?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Com'on you day one adopters! Pitch in and share what you find and see!

• Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Com'on you day one adopters! Pitch in and share what you find and see!

you can see iPhone apps on apple.com without an iPhone. 

• Reply 6 of 16
    Just picked up my Apple TV v.4 that I pre-ordered at my local Bestbuy. Sweet!!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    n2macs wrote: »
    Just picked up my Apple TV v.4 that I pre-ordered at my local Bestbuy. Sweet!!

Grrr.. ;)

I have to wait till Monday, UPS just notified me.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    alandail wrote: »

you can see iPhone apps on apple.com without an iPhone. 

That's interesting.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    alandail wrote: »

I was just wondering if the TvOS developer kit includes an emulation for OS X like it does an iPhone and iPad and if so would that see the TV app store.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was just wondering if the TvOS developer kit includes an emulation for OS X like it does an iPhone and iPad and if so would that see the TV app store.

I won't break an NDA but I will simply say that we don't know what's in the App Store.

• Reply 11 of 16
    AppleTV 64GB arrived this afternoon. Setup from iPhone just uses settings via bluetooth. Siri is disabled for New Zealand but changing your iTunes to US or Aus will enable Siri. Great clean UI
  • Reply 12 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So I ordered an ?TV online on Monday which as of this morning still said preparing to ship with an estimated arrival date of 11/2-11/4, yet my local Apple Store has them in stock ready for pickup. Had I known for sure they would be in stores Today I would never have ordered online. I called Apple and they initiated a cancellation but couldn't guarantee that the item wouldn't ship. It's no big deal if it does because I can just return it to the store but it would be nice if they were more clear on when things will be available in store. Outside of iPhones you never really know.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nzmac wrote: »
    AppleTV 64GB arrived this afternoon. Setup from iPhone just uses settings via bluetooth. Siri is disabled for New Zealand but changing your iTunes to US or Aus will enable Siri. Great clean UI

How have you found the UI coming from older ?TV's?
  • Reply 14 of 16

AppleTV 4 arrived an hour ago - the kids (on half-term break) are now fighting for use of the controller - intuitive and they love the Siri interface! 

On prior Apple TVs all those channels that Apple deigned to release to the UK market appeared "auto-magically" over time - with Apple TV 4 they now manifest as individual apps and you are required to download each one you want. Which has given our home screen a clean up, so no bad thing.

Netflix and YouTube apps downloaded first due to popular demand in our house. Search results using Siri call up iTunes and Netflix as advertised.

Set up is very easy, even having an option to copy over the network config from an unlocked iPhone with BlueTooth on if it's moved in close proximity to the new AppleTV - neat (although didn't work in my particular case as I have an Apple Airport Extreme with Timed Access by MAC address enabled to put time limits on the kids devices - there is no way to discover the wi-fi MAC address of the Apple TV without plugging it into ethernet first and letting it get the registration sorted - minor niggle - why isn't the MAC address printed on the box label like Apple laptops and iMacs are?).

Home Sharing is still an option, but it doesn't seem to work with the Apple Remote app on an iPhone (and thus the keyboard) - which is a pain as during setup you have to enter a lot of usernames and passwords (iTunes, Netflix, Home Sharing, network passwords) and it's still not easy even with the swish new touch-sensitive remote.

• Reply 15 of 16
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AstroFish View Post

Home Sharing is still an option, but it doesn't seem to work with the Apple Remote app on an iPhone (and thus the keyboard) - which is a pain as during setup you have to enter a lot of usernames and passwords (iTunes, Netflix, Home Sharing, network passwords) and it's still not easy even with the swish new touch-sensitive remote.

Yeah.. WTH Apple.. :(

• Reply 16 of 16
    Can anyone tell me what I'm missing without the new Apple TV? I had the original Apple TV that I used to stream ripped Music because it had a hard drive. I'd love to have an excuse to get one, but I use a Mini Mac for the same thing now.

Someone please tell me why I need the new one?

Thanks!