Amazon yanks Apple TV and Chromecast from digital shelves

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

I don't get it. They have an iOS app, you just can't purchase new content through it — you have to go buy it on the web then return to the app. Prime stuff is all available on the spot. Why would they not make an AppleTV app? Can't you just AirPlay it to your AppleTV anyway or is that not possible (I don't have one, waiting for my new ATV monday. :)

• Reply 22 of 47
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I am going off Amazon. A year ago on 25 October they tricked me into taking a months free subscription of Prime. On 25 November it automatically converted into an annual subscription and my debit card was changed. I changed my debit card a month ago. Yesterday Amazon informed me that they would be unable to renew my Prime subscription using my old debit card as it had experienced. So far so good. What shocked me was they then said they planning to search my Amazon records for other registered cards and on 25 November automatically charge the Prime renewal against one of my other registered cards with them. To stop this I have deleted my other bank cards: from Amazon's records.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member

Amazon's loss.

• Reply 24 of 47
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Maybe Apple should remove Amazon's apps from the app store and have Safari block amazon.com...
  • Reply 25 of 47
    dachar wrote: »
    I am going off Amazon. A year ago on 25 October they tricked me into taking a months free subscription of Prime. On 25 November it automatically converted into an annual subscription and my debit card was changed. I changed my debit card a month ago. Yesterday Amazon informed me that they would be unable to renew my Prime subscription using my old debit card as it had experienced. So far so good. What shocked me was they then said they planning to search my Amazon records for other registered cards and on 25 November automatically charge the Prime renewal against one of my other registered cards with them. To stop this I have deleted my other bank cards: from Amazon's records.
    In other words you're an idiot that signed up for something and didn't find out what the terms were.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Amazon price video has had a couple of shows I have watched, like hand of God and Bosch but the rest of their content is fairly lacking. I got the prime sub when it was only £49 as I was ordering quite a lot of stuff from Amazon on a regular basis and using the prime free next day delivery but this year not so much. With this sort of nonsense going on if they don't support Apple TV I will probably cancel and just download their shows by 'other means'.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    irnchriz wrote: »
    Amazon price video has had a couple of shows I have watched, like hand of God and Bosch but the rest of their content is fairly lacking. I got the prime sub when it was only £49 as I was ordering quite a lot of stuff from Amazon on a regular basis and using the prime free next day delivery but this year not so much. With this sort of nonsense going on if they don't support Apple TV I will probably cancel and just download their shows by 'other means'.
    by "other means" I'm assuming you actually mean illegal downloading/streaming. At least be honest about your intentions to ensure the rights holder can't profit from their work.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Apple is anti competitive over books but this is okay? How is this not anti competitive? Wow.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    djkikrome wrote: »
    Apple is anti competitive over books but this is okay? How is this not anti competitive? Wow.
    It's not considered "anti-competitive" to remove competing products from your own store shelves is it? Apple does the same on occasion. Consumers may not like it (nor Apple/Google fans in particular) but it's not something that should be regulated IMHO. Now if Amazon were to have meetings with eBay and Best Buy and all agreed to handle Apple products/pricing in exactly the same manner then you perhaps have a potential case.

Apple, Google, Microsoft etc all have their own on-line storefronts and each has their own ideas on what they'll allow in them.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

nonetheless shouldn't DoJ look into Amazon's hostile behavior?

Are you serious?  Are we now requiring companies to make apps for platforms and sell certain products?  Are we in Soviet Russia?

• Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

Um because Amazon can sell whatever they want.  Your ignorance is mind boggling.

• Reply 32 of 47

I don't see why so many people are so up in arms about this.  It makes total sense.  Most consumers buying a streaming device from Amazon are going to assume that it will work with Amazon's streaming service.  This has probably caused confusion and upset customers in the past that have contacted Amazon and complained, returned products etc.  Amazon evidently could not easily add their streaming service to the Chromecast or Apple TV3 so they have decided to stop selling them.

I believe that Amazon will get an app up and running for the Apple TV4 and then they will add it to their online store (but still not sell the Apple TV3).

I mean you don't see Apple selling the Roku or Chromecast in the Apple stores do you?  This isn't just because they are a competitor to the Apple TV, it is because people would be upset that they bought this streaming device from Apple that won't play their iTunes movies.

• Reply 33 of 47
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dementuschikan View Post

Purchased mine via Best Buy just to send a big "Screw You" to Amazon. image

Purchased mine from Apple to say screw you to Best Buy.

• Reply 34 of 47
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think that Amazon is pushing both the legal and PR boundaries here in taking on two of the most powerful firms in tech, and will probably have to back out of this move with its tail between its legs.

Or get smacked. Badly.

And I think they're making a big mistake.   The power of Amazon is that "everything" is sold there.   If they're going to back away from that concept and make the site more proprietary (which could extend to promoting Amazon authors' books over others, for example) that's going to hurt them in the long run.   It's not really the world's biggest store if there are major, well-known products in the marketplace that you've suddenly refused to sell.   And from a PR standpoint, it looks petty.

I don't think Apple should have removed products (such as competing headphones) from their stores either.   

• Reply 35 of 47
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

...nonetheless shouldn't DoJ look into Amazon's hostile behavior?

you could report it to the DoJ:

http://www.justice.gov/atr/report-violations

But in reality, a single retailer not carrying certain brands isn't a legal issue.  This is exactly what Costco & BJs and other retailers like them do - limited brands per product category.

• Reply 36 of 47
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    We know if Apple did something similar it would be viewed as anti-competitive by the masses.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    igorsky wrote: »
    We know if Apple did something similar it would be viewed as anti-competitive by the masses.
    When Apple has previously removed 3rd party products from its stores for competitive or other reasons the general reaction has been a big group yawn, occasionally followed by a "good for them, it's their store."

Amazon isn't causing Apple any harm as there's lots of outlets for their products. Google perhaps a bit as they don't operate their own b&m stores nor put much effort into promoting their on-line one.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Those who want to better understand the world of corporate executives as illustrated here need only go to Youtube and search for "temper tantrum"

They'll see lots of examples of "What's mine is mine. What's yours is also mine." They'll see few examples of cooperation at the corporate level. Sad and pitiful.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

When Apple has previously removed 3rd party products from its stores for competitive or other reasons the general reaction has been a big group yawn, occasionally followed by a "good for them, it's their store."

I completely disagree; experiences vary.  Though I don't think it's even debatable that Apple's actions are under a ridiculously bigger microscope than anyone else's.

• Reply 40 of 47
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

And neither Apple.com or Apple retail stores have ever carried Amazon Fire TV, Roku, or ChromeCast products. If there's some nefarious story here, it flew right over my head evidently.

I'm not an Amazon hater like many folks here, but this is a pretty stupid move on their part. If I recall from the original story when this first surfaced several weeks back, Apple TV wasn't just restricted from Amazon selling it (ie, "sold by" and/or "fulfilled by" Amazon as the item's page indicates), but it's also restricted from being sold by Amazon Marketplace 3rd party resellers. That is the difference from Apple not selling Amazon Fire TV, etc. Apple Stores don't host 3rd party resellers. Also, Apple Stores exist purely to support the Apple ecosystem. Amazon is a general retailer.

I assume the Amazon Marketplace agreement resellers must sign allow Amazon to restrict any content as they see fit. So Amazon may not be doing anything illegal. Stupid, yes. Illegal, perhaps not. Their arguments that this might confuse customers is weak, at best. There's lots of things being sold on Amazon that might confuse customers...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

Sorry, but you weren't tricked into anything. The terms offered for the Amazon Prime free trial are quite clearly provided. And those terms are consistent with 99% of the free trials anywhere...you are nearly always moved to the paid subscription of whatever it is after the free trial period.

Canceling a Prime membership is neither tricky or difficult. There is not high-pressure sales tactics to get you to stay. Takes about 2 minutes to log into your Amazon account and cancel your Prime membership. Maybe give that a try.