Amazon yanks Apple TV and Chromecast from digital shelves

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    wiggin wrote: »
    I'm not an Amazon hater like many folks here, but this is a pretty stupid move on their part.
    I agree with you on that. Not a great decision business-wise and one that alienates a well-heeled segment of their buyers IMO, tho I'll have to assume much smarter people than me with a whole lot more Amazon information than we have are making the right calls for their business. If not I'd expect a reversal at some point.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    dachar wrote: »
    I am going off Amazon. A year ago on 25 October they tricked me into taking a months free subscription of Prime. On 25 November it automatically converted into an annual subscription and my debit card was changed. I changed my debit card a month ago. Yesterday Amazon informed me that they would be unable to renew my Prime subscription using my old debit card as it had experienced. So far so good. What shocked me was they then said they planning to search my Amazon records for other registered cards and on 25 November automatically charge the Prime renewal against one of my other registered cards with them. To stop this I have deleted my other bank cards: from Amazon's records.

Why not just cancel Prime???? They are very easy to deal with. If you would've just called them they would have cancelled the service and given you a refund. I work at a bank and help customers do it frequently. One time it had been a couple of months but Amazon verified the customer had not used any Prime services since his card had been charged and refunded him the full price of the Prime membership. You are making this WAY more difficult than it has to be. Act like an adult and communicate.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    I know they want to sell their own device but it seems kind of silly to remove competitor's products like this. I do have a subscription to Amazon Prime though so hopefully they will actually make an app for it.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    I get why Apple would remove devices that don't work with HomeKit. Since this is an Apple Store for Apple products. In the same Apple could also remove products that compete with its own.

But Amazon(hence its name) is not a store for just Amazon products, it didn't start that way and never has been. They can't justify removing competitor products because it doesn't work with one of their pay services.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

I am going off Amazon. A year ago on 25 October they tricked me into taking a months free subscription of Prime. On 25 November it automatically converted into an annual subscription and my debit card was changed. I changed my debit card a month ago. Yesterday Amazon informed me that they would be unable to renew my Prime subscription using my old debit card as it had experienced. So far so good. What shocked me was they then said they planning to search my Amazon records for other registered cards and on 25 November automatically charge the Prime renewal against one of my other registered cards with them. To stop this I have deleted my other bank cards: from Amazon's records.

As others have said, you we're tricked. You were just indignant as a consumer. Amazon gives you plenty of chances to cancel their service and it's fairly easy to do so.

• Reply 46 of 47
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I agree with you on that. Not a great decision business-wise and one that alienates a well-heeled segment of their buyers IMO, tho I'll have to assume much smarter people than me with a whole lot more Amazon information than we have are making the right calls for their business. If not I'd expect a reversal at some point.

I almost wonder if this isn't more of a tactic to ensure Apple accepts Amazon video apps for the new Apple TV. Did Amazon try to work with Apple to get an Amazon Instant Video channel on the old Apple TV and get summarily rejected by Apple? Perhaps leading Amazon to fear such an app would be rejected by Apple if submitted for the new Apple TV? Pulling Apple TV sales from Amazon after Apple rejects an app might appear retaliatory. Doing it this way now allows them to say it was for compatibility reasons.

Still stupid.