Rumor pegs Nov. 11 launch date for Apple's iPad Pro & accessories

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
Apple is targeting a Nov. 11 launch date for the iPad Pro, including its Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard accessories, a report said on Friday.

The product will go on sale simultaneously at Apple's online and retail stores, anonymous sources told 9to5Mac. The people didn't mention whether Apple will offer a preorder period -- if not, that would break with Apple's normal approach to high-profile launches.

The 11th is a Wednesday, and the Veterans Day holiday in the U.S., which might cast doubt on the rumor. Apple typically avoids holiday launches and most often introduces products on Tuesdays and Fridays.

At its Sept. 9 press event, Apple announced only a broad "November" window for the tablet. The company could be preparing a second announcement with a specifc date.

The iPad Pro will start at $799 for a 32-gigabyte Wi-Fi model, with 128-gigabyte Wi-Fi and cellular models costing $949 and $1,079. The Apple Pencil will be $99, and the Smart Keyboard $169. A fully-equipped Pro could therefore cost $1,347 before any apps or extended warranties.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Happy birthday to me!

Maybe they are saving Tuesday that week for a MacPro refresh?
  • Reply 2 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow the comments on Engadget are hilarious. Apparently this device is DOA and no one will buy it because it doesn't run "full" Photoshop. Some serious Microsoft astroturfing there.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow the comments on Engadget are hilarious. Apparently this device is DOA and no one will buy it because it doesn't run "full" Photoshop. Some serious Microsoft astroturfing there.

Not surprised either way.  The Surface Book is the "in" thing. In light of the recent news of Google merging Chrome / Android, similar to Win10, there are already articles asking / suggesting Apple needs to do the same to stay relevant. Like it or not, there will be more articles like these;

http://theunshut.com/2015/10/30/google-chrome-os-android-apple-next-ios-os-x/

https://techpinions.com/microsofts-surface-book-and-its-impact-on-apple-and-pc-vendors/42217

• Reply 4 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Not surprised either way.  The Surface Book is the "in" thing. In light of the recent news of Google merging Chrome / Android ...

Wow.  

Hey Rogifan, you're right about that astroturfing.

• Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Wow.  

Hey Rogifan, you're right about that astroturfing.

If you're accusing me of astroturfing, you'd be wrong.   I actually agree with Rogifan and basically I'm implying that he better be ready for more of it.

• Reply 6 of 48

Should've seen The Verge's comment section the day the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 were announced.

• Reply 7 of 48
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

I don't see how those comments are Microsoft astroturfing, when they just point out one real benefit of the Surface Pro over the iPad Pro.  The same can be said of the iPad Pro, that has some benefits over the Surface Pro. 

• Reply 8 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

OK.  Never mind.

• Reply 9 of 48
    The Surface Book is the first Microsoft product I have EVER thought was a compelling device. I'm not a gamer, so the Xbox does nothing for me.

Haven't read the Engadget comments, but I'm not surprised to hear enthusiasm for this device.

I'm still getting the iPad Pro to solve my creative on-the-go needs. I'm willing to try Adobe's multiple companion App solution to integrating with Creative Cloud. If I hate it, I'll consider my other options.

It's good to see someone giving Apple credible competition.
  • Reply 10 of 48

Putting the iPad Pro in the same league at the Surface Book or the Surface Pro 4 is like saying it's in the same league as the Macbook Pro. It isn't and as long as the iPad runs the very limited iOS and very limited hardware specs then it will never be int he same league. 

The reality, this is an iPad Plus not a Pro. Anything with 32GB of storage and a max of 4GB of ram and a max 128GB of storage is anything but "Pro".

The Surface Pro 4 can be configured with a core i7, dedicated GPU, 1TB of storage and 16GB of ram. The iPad Pro should have started with 128GB of storage. 

• Reply 11 of 48
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Putting the iPad Pro in the same league at the Surface Book or the Surface Pro 4 is like saying it's in the same league as the Macbook Pro. It isn't and as long as the iPad runs the very limited iOS and very limited hardware specs then it will never be int he same league. 

The reality, this is an iPad Plus not a Pro. Anything with 32GB of storage and a max of 4GB of ram and a max 128GB of storage is anything but "Pro".

The Surface Pro 4 can be configured with a core i7, dedicated GPU, 1TB of storage and 16GB of ram. The iPad Pro should have started with 128GB of storage. 

I do find the comparison to be rather strange. There can be overlap in some use cases, but in general, the iPad Pro's capabilities are well behind a Windows or OS X computer.

• Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertC View Post

I do find the comparison to be rather strange. There can be overlap in some use cases, but in general, the iPad Pro's capabilities are well behind a Windows or OS X computer.

I do not find the comparison strange, these are both pen-enabled machines that can run real creative software.

While the comparison isn't Apples-to-apples, they can be used for similar tasks.

For once, I'm happy to see that it isn't the Apple device pitted against the poorly copied competitor.

In this case, it seems that Microsoft looked at the problem—reimagine the creative content creation tool as an on-the-go device—and came up with their own solution, relatively unencumbered with the 'clone the Apple device' philosophy.

Anyway, I like that two quite distinct solutions have been designed.

• Reply 13 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    danvm wrote: »

I don't see how those comments are Microsoft astroturfing, when they just point out one real benefit of the Surface Pro over the iPad Pro.  The same can be said of the iPad Pro, that has some benefits over the Surface Pro. 

I guess I wouldn't expect you to. But i'm sick of the "iPad is a toy because it doesn't run [instert name here] "full software". I'm actually quite productive on my iPad Air 2, especially now with split view. People have wanted software for the iPad to become more powerful. I think the iPad Pro and iOS 9 are the beginnings of making that happen. But I think this notion on most tech sites that you can only be productive if you're running Windows is BS. Let's actually see some reviews of this device before people start writing it off.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

There are many scenarios and use cases that an iPad Pro is much better or more suited to than a MBP so I can make the case that a MBP isn't in the same league as an iPad Pro.  But end of the day it's a moot point. They're both powerful machines designed for specific tasks / use cases.

And also, the SP4 does not have a dedicated GPU in any configuration. It only has an integrated Intel GPU which is outclassed by the GPU in the iPad Pro.  The iPad Pro has the capability to render multiple 4K video streams without a hitch, something you cannot do on not only the SP 4 but the SB models that have only the integrated GPU.  As far as CPU peformance goes, I'll put my money on the iPad Pro.

• Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:

I guess I wouldn't expect you to. But i'm sick of the "iPad is a toy because it doesn't run [instert name here] "full software". I'm actually quite productive on my iPad Air 2, especially now with split view. People have wanted software for the iPad to become more powerful. I think the iPad Pro and iOS 9 are the beginnings of making that happen. But I think this notion on most tech sites that you can only be productive if you're running Windows is BS. Let's actually see some reviews of this device before people start writing it off.

I agree. There is no such thing as "full" software. There is software optimized for a multi-touch paradigm and there's software designed for KB / mouse paradigm. Full Stop.  You can have software as, and even more, powerful on an iPad Air 2 / Pro vs a laptop, and vice versa. It all depends on the quality of the developer and how well they take advantage of the hardware.

• Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

There are many scenarios and use cases that an iPad Pro is much better or more suited to than a MBP so I can make the case that a MBP isn't in the same league as an iPad Pro.  But end of the day it's a moot point. They're both powerful machines designed for specific tasks / use cases.

And also, the SP4 does not have a dedicated GPU in any configuration. It only has an integrated Intel GPU which is outclassed by the GPU in the iPad Pro.  The iPad Pro has the capability to render multiple 4K video streams without a hitch, something you cannot do on not only the SP 4 but the SB models that have only the integrated GPU.  As far as CPU peformance goes, I'll put my money on the iPad Pro.

One of the points I was trying to make is the comparison isn't valid because the Surface Pro and Surface Book can be configured to higher and far more expensive configurations just like the Macbook Pro. I guess is someone wanted to compare the M3 entry Surface Pro and the iPad Pro that would be a valid cost vs performance comparison. 

I checked the MS site and I did see the SP doesn't come with a dedicated GPU, I must have mixed that up when I was comparing both products online. 

I do plan to buy and iPad Pro simply because I want a more powerful and even more so bigger iPad. My perfect iPad Pro would have included 256GB of storage and 3D Touch. I expect we may see that on the second generation. 

• Reply 17 of 48
    atlapple wrote: »

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're a super-productive uber-power user who needs to run the full versions of everything your employer pays for because you're super-productive and everyone pales in comparison to your super-productive power user needs.

Don't buy it, but more so, try resisting the urge to stamp your little feet about why product X should never be called "pro."
  • Reply 18 of 48
    rogifan wrote: »

I wonder why they would need to run the full version of Photoshop. Isn't that meme generator a free tool?

All these constant "productivity" claims makes me think that techie boyz are probably 4,000% less produtive outside of comment sections than they imagine.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertC View Post

They're not. Behind is relative to USE CASE. So, you're response is utterly nonsense.

Considering the tablet part o Surface is close to useless, you know, NO DECENTS APPS, well this makes even less sense.

• Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're a super-productive uber-power user who needs to run the full versions of everything your employer pays for because you're super-productive and everyone pales in comparison to your super-productive power user needs.

Don't buy it, but more so, try resisting the urge to stamp your little feet about why product X should never be called "pro."

I'm a software engineer for IBM. I would say that puts me in the power user category.