New Apple TV incompatible with Apple's own Remote app for iOS and watchOS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 264
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    So nobody is smarter than a Apple engineer? They make plenty of mistakes just as everyone else does.

No they were making fun of me because I've complained about all the arm chair iPad Pro/Apple Pencil/Magic Mouse engineers.
  • Reply 62 of 264
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No they were making fun of me because I've complained about all the arm chair iPad Pro/Apple Pencil/Magic Mouse engineers.

Does that also include armchair Apple PR spokesmen?

• Reply 63 of 264

Returning mine. If Apple product I will be returning. Major disappointment for two reasons:

1) The interface for Netflix is terrible. I hate it. No way to look at TV shows or films by genres. But this is not Apple's fault. All on Netflix since they are the ones who created the app.

2) The Remote app should have been ready. They had years to get it developed. No excuse for Apple. I hate having to use a separate tiny remote that can easily get lost. All of its functions could have been easily been programed to use on the phone as an app. Also, with the Remote app you can swipe and hold while it scrolls automatically, but with new one you are forced to swipe repeatedly to scroll across the screen. Highly annoying.

It just seems to me lately that Apple just doesn't put care into their products like they once use to.

I love Apple products, but until these problems are fixed, I will stick to the third generation AppleTV for now.

• Reply 64 of 264
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

I postpone my buying until the Remote app is updated. It's the ecosystem Apple. We don't buy your products as a standalone.

• Reply 65 of 264
    matrix07 wrote: »
    I postpone my buying until the Remote app is updated. It's the ecosystem Apple. We don't buy your products as a standalone.

Send a tweet to Tim Cook and Eddie Cue letting them know.
  • Reply 66 of 264
    rogifan wrote: »
    Send a tweet to Tim Cook and Eddie Cue letting them know.

Will Cue be forced to apologize or quit because of this, a la Scott Forstall?
  • Reply 67 of 264
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

The absurdity of this situation cannot be overstated.

Why in the actual **** would they disable Bluetooth Keyboards and the iOS Remote App? Are they completely fucking bonkers?

You can't even say its to promote Siri because Siri doesn't work for most of the interface and apps, and there is NO SIRI DICTATION on any of the key entry fields.

This is one of the biggest head scratchers yet from modern Apple.

• Reply 68 of 264
    The remote app issue makes sense. They definitely are forcing us into using Siri and the mini glass track pad. I'm ok with it knowing it won't be forever.

Besides I would think they'd want time to add features such as force touch to the new remote app utilizing added value or benefit to utilizing an i"device" as the remote instead of the remote itself. Force touch will be a great add for this type of situation.

After playing Aron d a little I also feel like they could develop a default "controller" for gaming within the app. I can see using a bigger device over the remote as a controller already being a benefit. For instance Asphalt was fun with the remote but an iPhone "controller" would be way better than just the controller. In all fairness I haven't tried multiplayer etc aka "everything" and I haven't seen how multi player works. I assume it uses someone's iPhone?

Overall The rest of the software is a vast improvement over V3. I'm not sure why so many are kvetching. Appreciate all the "new" for a little while. This is pretty exciting stuff. There's plenty to keep me noodling around with a stupid little black box for a couple of days with compete amusement

*edit posted in haste
  • Reply 68 of 264
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    How lame.

What I don't understand is why Apple didn't design a proper app. Not a remote, but actually an application showing a special version of the current screen on your TV.
    The original remote app sucks. Apple tries to mimic a classic controller with cursor keys in an iOS app without really leveraging the phone's standard abilities.

For example, if your Apple TV is showing the main menu, a mobile app could show the same icons of the installed apps and channels in a vertical layout (portrait mode). Basically the appleTV would send information on what it's showing you on screen at a given time (in a JSON file format) to the app and the app would then re-construct a specialized version of that screen on your phone, with a focus on remove control and navigation.

So in the case of the appleTV's home screen you'd simply tap on the icon of choice on your phone to boot Netflix or YouTube.... Why swiping to navigate at all? It's so dumb to move from element to element by swiping if you can tap, pinch, etc.

This system would solve the keyboard issue to. In case appleTV tells the mobile app there's a search option in the current context (e.g YouTube video search), the remote app could show a search box as well, with standard iOS controls and interaction design.
  • Reply 70 of 264
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Optical Serenity View Post

This shows you that this will be a great AppleTV. The remote app was horrible, to say the least. I still refuse to believe that Apple made it. Perhaps that's what they do with their affirmative action hires. image

Seriously, it sucked. You'd go into it, to pause something you're watching, and it would start with the touch interface screen, and then pop out back to the darn playlist screen, only for you to have to re-enter the touch interface that was the only half-way useful part of the app.

I personally am glad it's gone. They can rewrite it (and should) and probably cook it into iOS and WatchOS, but otherwise that former app was horrible...

**** you and your affirmative action comment...and if your emoji is supposed to imply that this was sarcasm, then you don't understand what sarcasm means...

• Reply 71 of 264
    Crazy. How many years have they been working on this thing and they can't even release a remote that works. Maybe someone forgot to email the Remote App team to let them know there was a new TV coming? You're supposed to be able to use your iPhone to control game aren't you? You can transfer the settings from your phone to the Apple TV for a helpful setup but that's it!?!
  • Reply 72 of 264
    isilver wrote: »
    Crazy. How many years have they been working on this thing and they can't even release a remote that works. Maybe someone forgot to email the Remote App team to let them know there was a new TV coming? You're supposed to be able to use your iPhone to control game aren't you? You can transfer the settings from your phone to the Apple TV for a helpful setup but that's it!?!

Eddie needs to learn how to delegate.
  • Reply 73 of 264
    I'm not even opening mine, returning it as soon as it arrives.

I hate remotes
  • Reply 74 of 264
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSilver View Post

Maybe someone also forgot to email the packaging team to either include the proper USB-C cable for charging the remote from the Apple TV, or to include an AC charger in the box.

• Reply 75 of 264
    Another opportunity for 3rd party app developers to jump on and include useful functionality using the TvOS and Siri API's to surprise and delight users like Apple Inc does.

Ladies, gentlemen: start your engines!
  • Reply 76 of 264
    The box for the new Apple TV contains a Lightning-to-USB cable that cannot be used with the Apple TV, which requires a USB-C cable. The provided cable is for charging the Siri remote, but no charger was included. The website and instructions that come in the box fail to mention that a charger is necessary and what are its requirements.

I talked with the Apple Store manager and was rewarded with a charger. :-)
  • Reply 77 of 264
    It makes every bit of sense why they won't allow it, even if i don't agree. I lost my Apple TV 2 remote so used the app. It's an extra €20 Apple didn't get from me because there was an alternative. In saying that, I always preferred the remote app anyway.
  • Reply 78 of 264
    Really rather disappointing to find that much of the content like NOW TV is not working on the new Apple TV and that it does not work with the phone or watch...does not feel like joined up design. The remote is not up to the usual J.Ive quality either.

Guess it goes back in the box for a few months as a Siri remote does not make up for lost content.

Soon Iritating, what are the customer experience managers thinking?
  • Reply 78 of 264
    Waited in all day for the courier, Finally arrived, Switched on and stuck at select your country.
    God dam remote broke, But strangely if the home button and the volume are both held down it reboots it but nothing else.

Oh well just got to wait till monday.

Hope everyone else's is fine.
  • Reply 80 of 264
    ursine1 wrote: »
    The box for the new Apple TV contains a Lightning-to-USB cable that cannot be used with the Apple TV, which requires a USB-C cable. The provided cable is for charging the Siri remote, but no charger was included. The website and instructions that come in the box fail to mention that a charger is necessary and what are its requirements.

I talked with the Apple Store manager and was rewarded with a charger. :-)

Well I'm assuming one wasn't included because Apple figures whoever is buying the AppleTV already has one. Of course it is a bit odd because you do get one when you buy an iPad, iPhone or Apple Watch.