Rumor pegs Nov. 11 launch date for Apple's iPad Pro & accessories

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

I do not find the comparison strange, these are both pen-enabled machines that can run real creative software.

While the comparison isn't Apples-to-apples, they can be used for similar tasks.

For once, I'm happy to see that it isn't the Apple device pitted against the poorly copied competitor.

In this case, it seems that Microsoft looked at the problem—reimagine the creative content creation tool as an on-the-go device—and came up with their own solution, relatively unencumbered with the 'clone the Apple device' philosophy.

Anyway, I like that two quite distinct solutions have been designed.

Their solution... Is one they had no choice to adopt really and basically something they kind of did before.

There is nothing innovative about retrenching.

A truly terrible tablet with no App is not something fantastic at all. And yes, I've actually tried the Surface 3 for a while.

Not the best laptop and a not very good tablet; what's to love? Nothing!

Also, actual sales don't even support assertions they're heading the right way. Not going into a ditch doesn't mean you're on the right road.

Outside techny land; the narrative MS is pushing very hard with tons of marketing over many years, is kind of broken.

• Reply 22 of 48

iPad Pro is not designed to run full suite of Windows software.  It was never designed for this purpose.  Hence, I find it comical to see comments like "iPad Pro cannot run certain [windows]software thus it is inferior".  What wisdom is there to say things like A Ferrari is inferior to a crane because it cannot move goods like a crane?

Personally, the fact that it is not running window 10 is already a plus for me.  With the hardware and the increased computing power of A9X, the software will come eventually. 

The new Surface machines should be compared to Dell, HP laptop PC.  These are the peers.

• Reply 23 of 48
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess I wouldn't expect you to. But i'm sick of the "iPad is a toy because it doesn't run [instert name here] "full software". I'm actually quite productive on my iPad Air 2, especially now with split view. People have wanted software for the iPad to become more powerful. I think the iPad Pro and iOS 9 are the beginnings of making that happen. But I think this notion on most tech sites that you can only be productive if you're running Windows is BS. Let's actually see some reviews of this device before people start writing it off.

The definition of the iPad Pro being a toy or a Surface Pro being a compromised device is not defined by the device it self, instead of what users need. There are times the iPad Pro is not capable of doing things a user need, so it may be a "toy" for him, and at the same time there are others where the iPad Pro it's the best option.  

The same can be se said of the Surface Pro being compromised, which at times it is for some tasks, while is the best option for others.  I don't understand why it's so hard for people to open mind, and try the devices before making a conclusion if it's a toy or a compromised device.  

• Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

They're not. Behind is relative to USE CASE. So, you're response is utterly nonsense.

Considering the tablet part o Surface is close to useless, you know, NO DECENTS APPS, well this makes even less sense.

And the iPad Pro "decent apps" are a limited version of the full versions that the Surface Pro is capable to run.  And there are times users need to run those applications in a form factor like the Surface Pro.  I don't see why is that a bad thing.  

Like you mention, it's relative to the use case.  Sometimes the iPad Pro is the best choice, while in others, the Surface Pro it's better.

BTW, there are some nice apps for the Surface Pro, like MS Office with OneNote and Drawboard PDF.   Call the tablet part useless is the same as calling the iPad Pro a toy, it depends in what you need.  Still, it's clear that they are miles behind the iPad Pro library.  

• Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

iPad Pro is not designed to run full suite of Windows software.  It was never designed for this purpose.  Hence, I find it comical to see comments like "iPad Pro cannot run certain [windows]software thus it is inferior".  What wisdom is there to say things like A Ferrari is inferior to a crane because it cannot move goods like a crane?

Personally, the fact that it is not running window 10 is already a plus for me.  With the hardware and the increased computing power of A9X, the software will come eventually. 

The new Surface machines should be compared to Dell, HP laptop PC.  These are the peers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Their solution... Is one they had no choice to adopt really and basically something they kind of did before.

A truly terrible tablet with no App is not something fantastic at all. And yes, I've actually tried the Surface 3 for a while.

I disagree.  The technology behind the Surface Pro is amazing, specially when you consider the weight, pen, screen quality and size.  I tried it my self and feels extremely nice, the keyboard is very good (I consider it better than the Macbook keyboard) and the screen is great.  I tried it in my lap with no issues.  Plus MS Office Mobile and PDF Drawboard are great applications, which I think will be a very nice addition to my workflow.  Looking forward to purchase one in the future.

Quote:

Also, actual sales don't even support assertions they're heading the right way. Not going into a ditch doesn't mean you're on the right road.

iPad sales aren't neither good.  IMO, sales is not a factor that defines the quality of a device. 

Quote:

Outside techny land; the narrative MS is pushing very hard with tons of marketing over many years, is kind of broken. 

I can say the iPad Pro is broken too, since isn't as capable as the Surface Pro, but that wouldn't make sense.  Both devices have a place for personal and business use. 

• Reply 26 of 48
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I guess I wouldn't expect you to. But i'm sick of the "iPad is a toy because it doesn't run [instert name here] "full software". I'm actually quite productive on my iPad Air 2, especially now with split view. People have wanted software for the iPad to become more powerful. I think the iPad Pro and iOS 9 are the beginnings of making that happen. But I think this notion on most tech sites that you can only be productive if you're running Windows is BS. Let's actually see some reviews of this device before people start writing it off.

I agree we need to get true hands on reviews. Do we know how the A9X compares to i7? Will there be an influx of developers porting their pro apps exclusively for iOS? It's early days and if the iPad Pro/Pencil gains traction, it could supplant Wacom as the standard for artists and illustrators.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I agree we need to get true hands on reviews. Do we know how the A9X compares to i7? Will there be an influx of developers porting their pro apps exclusively for iOS? It's early days and if the iPad Pro/Pencil gains traction, it could supplant Wacom as the standard for artists and illustrators.

I expect the Geekbench 3 CPU benchmark will come in just over 8,000 on their benchmark (4 cores).  Depends on the i7 you are comparing to obviously - a little higher than the dual core Intel Core i7-6600U in the Surface Book.

• Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

I expect the Geekbench 3 CPU benchmark will come in just over 8,000 on their benchmark (4 cores).  Depends on the i7 you are comparing to obviously - a little higher than the dual core Intel Core i7-6600U in the Surface Book.

8,000 would put it in 13" rMBP territory which is amazing for a device of its size

• Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

8,000 would put it in 13" rMBP territory which is amazing for a device of its size

Geekbench 3 is a terrible way of comparing x86 and ARM.

• Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertC View Post

Geekbench 3 is a terrible way of comparing x86 and ARM.

What do you recommend?

• Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

What do you recommend?

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything on both platforms capable of doing a proper comparison. 

• Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:

And also, the SP4 does not have a dedicated GPU in any configuration. It only has an integrated Intel GPU which is outclassed by the GPU in the iPad Pro.  The iPad Pro has the capability to render multiple 4K video streams without a hitch, something you cannot do on not only the SP 4 but the SB models that have only the integrated GPU.  As far as CPU peformance goes, I'll put my money on the iPad Pro.

That's simply not true.

• Reply 33 of 48
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertC View Post

That's simply not true.

Which part?

It is true that the SP4 and the two lower variants of the SB only have integrated graphics. You can see that on the MS website.

It's also true that the iPad Pro can render multiple 4K streams simultaneously and play three simultaneous 4K streams in iMovie.  Schiller even demonstrated the latter on stage.  Apple even states it on their website. Unless of course you think they're lying and committing fraud advertising.

http://www.apple.com/ca/ipad-pro/technology/

The GPU on the SP4 and the SB (integrated GPU models only) cannot handle and keep up with that level of complexity. Not that I'm aware of.

• Reply 34 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The iPad Pro seems like a killer machine!

I see it like this. If somebody has money and demands the best possible tablet experience available anywhere, then the iPad Pro is the only logical choice.

If somebody is broke and can not afford a tablet and a desktop or a tablet and a laptop, then they might want to look into an all in one device, which offers a semi-tablet experience and a semi-laptop experience.

• Reply 35 of 48
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Which part?

It is true that the SP4 and the two lower variants of the SB only have integrated graphics. You can see that on the MS website.

It's also true that the iPad Pro can render multiple 4K streams simultaneously and play three simultaneous 4K streams in iMovie.  Schiller even demonstrated the latter on stage.  Apple even states it on their website. Unless of course you think they're lying and committing fraud advertising.

http://www.apple.com/ca/ipad-pro/technology/

The GPU on the SP4 and the SB (integrated GPU models only) cannot handle and keep up with that level of complexity. Not that I'm aware of.

It looks ideal for 4K in the field/mobile video editing, but I'm most excited for the use as a canvas for art creation.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It looks ideal for 4K in the field/mobile video editing, but I'm most excited for the use as a canvas for art creation.

I use my iPads mostly to game on, surf the web, stream netflix/amazon, and do some music creation.

It's been a long time since I last drew or painted anything, but that Apple pencil (with the super quick latency) looks really nice. I would obviously have to get the pencil to go along with the iPad Pro, it's a no brainer. The additional keyboard I don't care so much for.

Latency is so important to me, and that's one of the reasons why music creation apps rock on the iPad, and why they're basically non-existant on everything else. 

I also can't wait to see exactly how powerful it is. The iPad Air 2 which I have is no slouch, and the iPad Pro will be even more impressive and powerful. I don't want a damn desktop OS on my iPad. I just want iOS on top of super powerful hardware, which is exactly what the iPad is.

The iPad Pro will inspire me to unleash my full creative, drawing talents that have been locked away for a long time.:smokey:

• Reply 37 of 48
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Which part?

This part. I haven't the slightest idea what made you think that.

The HD 520 is used in the i5 version of the SP4 and the i5/i7 versions of the SB.

The HD 540 + 64MB eDRAM is used in the i7 version of the SP4.

• Reply 38 of 48
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    foggyhill wrote: »

Reading my comment, I realize I wasn't specific about the Microsoft device I'm referring to. I'm somewhat impressed with the Surface Book. The Surface Pro doesn't interest me at all.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

And the iPad Pro "decent apps" are a limited version of the full versions that the Surface Pro is capable to run.  And there are times users need to run those applications in a form factor like the Surface Pro.  I don't see why is that a bad thing.  

Like you mention, it's relative to the use case.  Sometimes the iPad Pro is the best choice, while in others, the Surface Pro it's better.

BTW, there are some nice apps for the Surface Pro, like MS Office with OneNote and Drawboard PDF.   Call the tablet part useless is the same as calling the iPad Pro a toy, it depends in what you need.  Still, it's clear that they are miles behind the iPad Pro library.  

I've used a Surface for awhile, and I call it as I see it; enraging and shipped out after a few month!

The person who got it still has it, so I guess they liked it better than me.

The Surface is adapted to people who have sporadic Tablet needs; that's the use case.

For everyone that needs the best of both,

they're better buying a good light laptop (a windows one if they want) and a separate tablet and carry both.

That's what I do.

I have to use Windows for professional reasons; I only think the tablet side of MS is a mess, the desktop is OK (if nothing to write home about).

The machines I love best are the ones I compile myself...

I've got a ton of Unix servers of all variants with all kind of weird exotic services on them; that's were I live...

• Reply 40 of 48
    Wow, quite a bit of passive aggressive bickering about this compared to that and being a "power user". I would think as an IBM software engineer you would rely on more than just an iPad to get your work done. It's kinda like an audio engineer or post engineer saying, "Jeez, this iPad still can't do what my multi-million dollar studio can" Whatever happened to these being tools in the grand scheme of our echo systems? I have different products for different uses as I need them. Desktops at home and in the office for "power use". MBP for on the go and an iPad for even more portability. I'm not going to plug in an electric ukulele and wonder why it doesn't sound like a Gibson Les Paul. As far as the fight between Windows this and Apple that, I've picked my platform and only care about what works for me! :)