iMac A1418 2013 LCD repair gone wrong

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2015

I went to replace the screen in my iMac A1418 and everything was going well, got the replacement screen in tested it and when I was removing the seal on the tape to secure the screen down into place, I dropped the screen. Which pulled the screen cables out of the board and chipped the corner of the screen. Great- there goes $200. I ordered in a new screen but for the mean time I tried wiring in the old screen- the screen turned on but you could bearly see apple logo when powering on and could not see the screen- this screen was so dim it was not workable. I checked the cables and they looked undamaged but I ordered a new LCD Video display thinking maybe that was also damaged. Now I have the second new screen the old screen and now when I switch between the two I can not see any light of a logo at all. Any pointers on what I may need to repair at this point?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 3
    matt golie wrote: »
    I went to replace the screen in my iMac A1418 and everything was going well, got the replacement screen in tested it and when I was removing the seal on the tape to secure the screen down into place, I dropped the screen. Which pulled the screen cables out of the board and chipped the corner of the screen. Great- there goes $200. I ordered in a new screen but for the mean time I tried wiring in the old screen- the screen turned on but you could bearly see apple logo when powering on and could not see the screen- this screen was so dim it was not workable. I checked the cables and they looked undamaged but I ordered a new LCD Video display thinking maybe that was also damaged. Now I have the second new screen the old screen and now when I switch between the two I can not see any light of a logo at all. Any pointers on what I may need to repair at this point?

Have you considered taking it to an Apple Store? Presumably, you're doing your own repairs to save money? But if you destroy your iMac in the process, you'll have to replace the entire computer.
  • Reply 3 of 3

The closest apple store is 3 hours one way from where I live. Unfortunately apple doesn't have many locations in WI.