Daniel Craig resisted Android phone placement in "Spectre" because "James Bond only uses the best"

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    It started with a discussion of the ios xcode vulnerability discovered recently. A colleague of mine kept insisting Apple ios was the most secure platform. Do you have facts, I asked. He claimed, Apple said so. In order to help him, I did the hard work of fact finding and shared it with him:

(# of total vulnerabilities, least to most)

Microsoft Windows : < 50
    RIM Blackberry: ~ 60
    Google Android: 54
    Apple IOS: 692

Undoubtedly, IF "security" is a big concern, the choice is quite clear. Marketing and online blogs are on Apples side of course, but facts state otherwise.

sources: https://www.cvedetails.com/product/19997/Google-Android.html?vendor_id=1224

https://www.cvedetails.com/product/15556/Apple-Iphone-Os.html?vendor_id=49
  • Reply 82 of 117
    It started with a discussion of the ios xcode vulnerability discovered recently. A colleague of mine kept insisting Apple ios was the most secure platform. Do you have facts, I asked. He claimed, Apple said so. In order to help him, I did the hard work of fact finding and shared it with him:

Undoubtedly, IF "security" is a big concern, the choice is quite clear. Marketing and online blogs are on Apples side of course, but facts state otherwise.

sources: https://www.cvedetails.com/product/19997/Google-Android.html?vendor_id=1224

• Reply 83 of 117

He wears an Omega now, but the Rolex Submariner was the original Bond watch. Rolex and James Bond have a strong connection. See: Dr. NoFrom Russia With LoveGoldfingerThunderballOn Her Majesty's Secret ServiceLive and Let DieThe Man with the Golden GunLicense to Kill and The Living Daylights.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

• Reply 84 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

811ppi? imageimageimage

Reminds me when ink jet printers were marketing 2000dpi and beyond. As if it meant something to the specs chasers.

Ah...that brings back memories to my old retail days in the 1990s/2000s. Customers would come in looking for 1,200 or 2,400 DPI inkjet printers because they wanted the best quality. After printing a few demos from various models, they'd end up leaving with a 600 DPI HP.

• Reply 85 of 117
    My god, it is truly amazing that people will write or read this propaganda.

You people seriously think that it would make sense for James Bond to use a phone which is identical to the phone that 200 MILLION other people will buy this year? I realize you all aren't willing to consider the notion that the iPhone isnt the best or most technically advanced phone on the market, but given the entire history of the Bond franchise, you think it makes sense for James Bond to be using one of the most common phones in existence?

You seriously think that viewers of a Bond movie are going to think about Android malware when they see James Bond holding a phone. The phone's software is unlikely to be shown at all, and regardless, it is incredibly rare for any Android user to ever encounter malware, so it's not like it's on the forefront of their minds. I mean seriously, that is one of the most implausible arguments I've ever heard.

I mean I don't want to see and brands advertised in the movie at all, but you guys seriously think that the galaxy s6 edge+ with its incredibly vibrant curved screen is not a more Bond looking phone than the iPhone 6S? Bond uses unique cool gadgets that not everyone has. The iPhone is absolutely not that.

I don't think Android should be featured in the movie either, but Bond would use an Android phone in real life. Why? Because he uses unique sophisticated tools - Apple doesn't allow anyone to customize any aspect of the OS. You think Bond would use the same phone and OS as 10 year old girls? And the most secure phone's in the world run Android not iOS. The freedom of Android allows for the possibility of increased security and things like baseband firewalls which can detect interception by stingrays while the iPhone next to it sits silent and allows the interception. No most Android phones do not have hardened security and cost $10k, but that's what Bond would use, not an iPhone. I mean really people, do you ever think critically?
  • Reply 86 of 117
    My god, it is truly amazing that people will write or read this propaganda.

You people seriously think that it would make sense for James Bond to use a phone which is identical to the phone that 200 MILLION other people will buy this year? I realize you all aren't willing to consider the notion that the iPhone isnt the best or most technically advanced phone on the market, but given the entire history of the Bond franchise, you think it makes sense for James Bond to be using one of the most common phones in existence?

You seriously think that viewers of a Bond movie are going to think about Android malware when they see James Bond holding a phone. The phone's software is unlikely to be shown at all, and regardless, it is incredibly rare for any Android user to ever encounter malware, so it's not like it's on the forefront of their minds. I mean seriously, that is one of the most implausible arguments I've ever heard.

I mean I don't want to see and brands advertised in the movie at all, but you guys seriously think that the galaxy s6 edge+ with its incredibly vibrant curved screen is not a more Bond looking phone than the iPhone 6S? Bond uses unique cool gadgets that not everyone has. The iPhone is absolutely not that.

I don't think Android should be featured in the movie either, but Bond would use an Android phone in real life. Why? Because he uses unique sophisticated tools - Apple doesn't allow anyone to customize any aspect of the OS. You think Bond would use the same phone and OS as 10 year old girls? And the most secure phone's in the world run Android not iOS. The freedom of Android allows for the possibility of increased security and things like baseband firewalls which can detect interception by stingrays while the iPhone next to it sits silent and allows the interception. No most Android phones do not have hardened security and cost $10k, but that's what Bond would use, not an iPhone. I mean really people, do you ever think critically?
  • Reply 87 of 117
    So Bond would use a phone identical to the one owned by 200 million other people, including 10 year old girls? That makes sense.
  • Reply 88 of 117
    Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

And yet it’s still slower than the iPhone.

Does that tell you anything?

• Reply 89 of 117

• Reply 90 of 117
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Because they're a UK company. ;)
    Nope - They are owned by Tata Motors of India (along with Jaguar).
  • Reply 91 of 117
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tettes View Post

Say what? They used the Sony phone in the movie.

That's what I thought.   I saw TV spot for the movie and Sony phone a few nights ago, unless the it's just a spot with the character and the phone isn't seen in the actual movie. 

• Reply 92 of 117
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

While I haven't seen the movie yet, it looks like Sony did put up enough "bribery" money.  I just saw the next "Spectre" commercial... sponsored by Sony for the Experia.

Knowing Bond is using an Android phone (to me) just diminishes the brand value of the Bond franchise.

Think of it this way:   Bond doesn't get to choose his devices.  They're Government issue.  The British government, like almost all governments, buys incompetently.    

• Reply 93 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

811ppi? imageimageimage

Reminds me when ink jet printers were marketing 2000dpi and beyond. As if it meant something to the specs chasers.

you would rather playback your 6S 4k videos on a 326ppi lower res 750P screen though?

• Reply 94 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And yet it’s still slower than the iPhone.

Does that tell you anything?

Proof or source? The Z5 Premium hasn't even been put head to head with a 6S Plus yet. Of course iOS runs faster, it's stripped down with no extra features.

• Reply 95 of 117
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Even though we're all familiar with modern OS screens, it's near impossible to guide the audience through the story and convey exposition on one screen in just a few seconds. It requires giant text and cartoonish buttons and that means a completely different looking OS.

Made with Flash no doubt. Perfect tool for creating the exaggerated UI required for Hollywood. Ability to run full screen, animate with sound effects and super fast, easy development process.

• Reply 96 of 117
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mstone wrote: »

Made with Flash no doubt. Perfect tool for creating the exaggerated UI required for Hollywood. Ability to run full screen, animate with sound effects and super fast, easy development process.

I can see why Flash can be used, even today, but would the sounds be included or would they add them in post?
  • Reply 97 of 117
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

They're Government issue.  The British government, like almost all governments, buys incompetently.    

That’s a great way of looking at it.

Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

Of course iOS runs faster, it's stripped down with no extra features.

6/10; got a chuckle from me.

• Reply 98 of 117
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I can see why Flash can be used, even today, but would the sounds be included or would they add them in post?

I'd say use them, mike them and if you don't like it do it over in post. At least it would be easier to redo because you could align it in the waveform view so the timing would be easy to follow. Then turn off the original tracks.

• Reply 99 of 117

I like the idea of Bond using Apple stuff... but for more than just the fact I like Apple.

Bond using a "Q enhanced" Apple Watch with iPhone 6Q to control his Aston Martin and neutralise an atomic bomb would be awesome.

• Reply 100 of 117
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Imagythis: Bond stands next to his Aston Martin, checks time on his Rolex, and make a phone call from...ehh Samsung phone? Eww! That doesn't look right. I thought the phone should be Vertu.

Omega, Bond has used Omega watches for years, earlier movies have used Rolex, Breitling and Seiko.