Google to fold Chrome OS, Android together into new OS strategy for 2017

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    tmay wrote: »
    brakken wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Ironic that it was GM that began the hybrid revolution, and would do best if it would restart this project.
    DED didn't know about the EV1?
    Actually, GM was very adverse to hybrids and EV's, they thought fuel cells would be the winner, but the U.S. Government was providing grants, and the State of California was pushing hard for low emission fuel efficient vehicles. Funny how that has panned out; California will likely be one of the big winners in EV vehicle development and manufacturing in the U.S.

It was Toyota that saw what was going on in the U.S., hit the panic button and developed the Prius, not realizing that U.S. Automakers really weren't going to pursue hybrids or EV's. Of course Honda had its hybrid, but it wasn't really what the market wanted. This gave the Prius a huge head start in the market when fuel prices were high. It is only recently, within the last 5 years, the U.S. carmakers have been selling decent hybrids and EV's, and naturally, fuel prices have dropped due to the Saudi's desire to crush oil production in the U.S.

Mmm ...

What goes around comes around ... Almost!

The GM Plant in Fremont California was converted to a joint operation between GM and Toyota and renamed the NUMI plant.

Toyota was negotiating with GM to manufacture the Prius at the NUMI plant.

The NUMI plant is now the Tesla Plant.

... Now, If ...
  • Reply 62 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If it thought it was the least bit beneficial, which is why I offer links for readers, I would take the time to look up one of the previous half-dozen or so times I've tried to respectfully explain. In this particular case I don't see a benefit, instead perhaps leading to distracting off-topic trolling from some segment of the membership. Not meaning you of course.

It would be beneficial to more than just the OP.  I would imagine there are a number of new-to-the-site guests, et. al., that would appreciate some context.

In any case, the extensive reply above likely took longer than sifting through 13K worth of posts... to find those key half-dozen.  A needle in a haystack for anyone other than yourself.

• Reply 63 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    It would be beneficial to more than just the OP.  I would imagine there are a number of new-to-the-site guests, et. al., that would appreciate some context.

In any case, the extensive reply above likely took longer than sifting through 13K worth of posts... to find those key half-dozen.  A needle in a haystack for anyone other than yourself.
    How did you see the first part of the post but miss the 2nd half that offered one big reason someone would comment on Google (or Android or Microsoft or...) in a thread here. Seems almost self-explanatory and certainly offers some context.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Windows is a dead end with no developer enthusiasm but for legacy players and enterprise. That's why it's moving its mobile platform to windows 10 mobile as a Hail Mary.to attract developers and try to keep windows alive.

Chromebooks are basically useless unless all you want is a web browser. And here comes the iPad Pro which is far more useful apps and far developers than Windows or Android.

So with $450-$1200 Chromebooks vs an iPad Air or especially the iPad pro, the iPad is still a steal.. And with Windows which has virtually zero touch apps or developers, Apple has a huge advantage.

I fully expect Apple to capitalize on where iOS and the Mac are. Both are far more forward thinking and neither are the dead ends Windows and Android are.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    rp2011 wrote: »

Chromebooks are basically useless unless all you want is a web browser.
    Have you used one? Serious question. They may not be as "useless" as you assume. Or maybe they would.

Do you know you can continue to do work on them off-line when no connection is available?
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2453999/chromebooks-beyond-the-cloud-everything-chromebooks-can-do-offline.html

Ever take a look at the extensions available and the usefulness they add?
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps

So with $450-$1200 Chromebooks vs an iPad Air or especially the pro
    Have you looked to see how much a quality Chromebook might cost? $450 would actually be the upper range for anything meant for a home or education user.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-chromebook-13

The Pixel which you presumably include to make it appear Chromebooks are just as expensive as other computer options is intended for developers not casual users, which Google makes clear even if the price doesn't.
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing/199811-google-confirms-chromebook-pixel-2-but-tempers-expectations
    (EDIT: Disclosure: I use a Pixel as my home computer, a couple hours a day if not more. Not a NEW one of course. $1200 is ridiculous for what I use one for)

But on part of your post I'm with 'ya 100%. An iPad Pro or iPad Air are hardly comparable with a Chromebook. Apple kills it. I'll grant you that the capabilities of a Chromebook are limited compared to a $1000 iPad Pro or MacBook or desktop, but I doubt most casual computer users need to do much if anything on a daily basis that requires anything more than a Chromebook.

They'll never have widespread appeal for Jo and Minnie Consumer, but not for lacking the capacity for what they actually use a computer for IMHO.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    If the margins were there, Apple would jump on an education iOS solution making Chromebooks obsolete. Which is why I imagine Google is folding the two. To create a more functional product with active developers and an ecosystem.
    I grant you that Apple could fumble the opportunity and allow Android to take it whenever it gets its new OS ready in 2017
  • Reply 67 of 86
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

have you ever stated to the users of this forum what your deal is? what is your connection to google, why have you identified yourself as their token champion here?

It's obvious there is some connection, 

since I don't believe one fracking second this person has actually every owned anything Apple (or even Apple stock)

It is a classical "supposedly above fray, corrector of all wrongs those deluded little fools think" (sic) forum troll if you ask me. 

There are some in every forum, everywhere.

• Reply 68 of 86
    If the margins were there, Apple would jump on an education iOS solution...
    Oh, I agree!
    ...making Chromebooks obsolete.

I agree again, but combining the two halves of the statement make both a non-starter.

As it is Apple's answer is an iPad, a fine solution of course but expensive and more difficult to manage.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Windows is a dead end with no developer enthusiasm but for legacy players and enterprise. That's why it's moving its mobile platform to windows 10 mobile as a Hail Mary.to attract developers and try to keep windows alive.

Chromebooks are basically useless unless all you want is a web browser. And here comes the iPad Pro which is far more useful apps and far developers than Windows or Android.

So with $450-$1200 Chromebooks vs an iPad Air or especially the iPad pro, the iPad is still a steal.. And with Windows which has virtually zero touch apps or developers, Apple has a huge advantage.

I fully expect Apple to capitalize on where iOS and the Mac are. Both are far more forward thinking and neither are the dead ends Windows and Android are.

Android and Windows dead ends? Really? On what alternate world?
  • Reply 70 of 86
    gatorguy wrote: »
    If it thought it was the least bit beneficial, which is why I offer links for readers, I would take the time to look up one of the previous half-dozen or so times I've tried to respectfully explain. In this particular case I don't see a benefit, instead perhaps leading to distracting off-topic trolling from some segment of the membership.
    foggyhill wrote: »
    It's obvious there is some connection, 
    since I don't believe one fracking second this person has actually every owned anything Apple (or even Apple stock)

It is a classical "supposedly above fray, corrector of all wrongs those deluded little fools think" (sic) forum troll if you ask me. 
    There are some in every forum, everywhere.
    See? Proves my point.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    Besides legacy apps and enterprise, where is Windows heading? Have you looked at the Windows apps store lately?

Android is merging chrome for a reason. Chrome is going nowhere without developers and iOS owns tablet and phone developers, soon tv development. It needed to act quickly. And it's still viable compared to Windows. Windows will soon exist solely as an enterprise company, which won't be too bad. There is still a lot of money in enterprise.
    But Apple and IBM have plans there too.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    Well I don't think that's really surprising. It hasn't seemed like there's been much interest in Chrome OS for awhile now. Will this make Android have even more bloated or less bloated? I've heard Chrome OS is lightweight but I don't know.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Oh, I agree!
    I agree again, but combining the two halves of the statement make both a non-starter.

As it is Apple's answer is an iPad, a fine solution of course but expensive and more difficult to manage.

I don't know, an iOS notebook for education as a sort of training wheels or gateway to a Mac for those who need more power. Could be a possibility margins wise.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Have you used one? Serious question. They may not be as "useless" as you assume. Or maybe they would.

Do you know you can continue to do work on them off-line when no connection is available?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2453999/chromebooks-beyond-the-cloud-everything-chromebooks-can-do-offline.html

Ever take a look at the extensions available and the usefulness they add?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps

Have you looked to see how much a quality Chromebook might cost? $450 would actually be the upper range for anything meant for a home or education user.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-chromebook-13

The Pixel which you presumably include to make it appear Chromebooks are just as expensive as other computer options is intended for developers not casual users, which Google makes clear even if the price doesn't.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/199811-google-confirms-chromebook-pixel-2-but-tempers-expectations

(EDIT: Disclosure: I use a Pixel as my home computer, a couple hours a day if not more. Not a NEW one of course. $1200 is ridiculous for what I use one for)

But on part of your post I'm with 'ya 100%. An iPad Pro or iPad Air are hardly comparable with a Chromebook. Apple kills it. I'll grant you that the capabilities of a Chromebook are limited compared to a $1000 iPad Pro or MacBook or desktop, but I doubt most casual computer users need to do much if anything on a daily basis that requires anything more than a Chromebook.

They'll never have widespread appeal for Jo and Minnie Consumer, but not for lacking the capacity for what they actually use a computer for IMHO.

I think that the Chromebook is very useful for a niche audience, and education meets that well, but for consumers, there are plenty of choices amongst Android tablets with accessories to get you to roughly to the same point, but with the breadth of applications. This seems to be the reason for the merger.

I do want to note, that unlike MS hybrids, Chromebook will benefit from rapid performance growth in ARM over the next few years, and like the iPad Pro today, will be capable of taking on Windows 10 hyrbrids/notebooks that are sold in the same price range. This is not lost on Google and the OEM's, who will benefit from the consolidation to ARM hardware with the attendant pricing advantage. 

Interestingly enough, I always figured that the Chrome OS would succeed Android OS in a merger in the opposite direction that has been announced.

See how this works? I said a few nice things about Google and bashed MS at the same time.

• Reply 75 of 86
    Somebody's batting for the other team in this thread.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Android and Windows dead ends? Really? On what alternate world?

A world in which there is very little profit being made by Android phones, and less and less PCs are being sold every year.

Oh wait, that's the world we're living in right now.

• Reply 77 of 86
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

A world in which there is very little profit being made by Android phones, and less and less PCs are being sold every year.

Oh wait, that's the world we're living in right now.

Really, you people must apply for SNL

• Reply 78 of 86
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    So, you basically won the non sequitur game, must be proud, that goes next to your consolation bowling trophy i guess

Maybe you should apply for your "wit" to be put out of its misery, seems like the humane thing to do...
  • Reply 79 of 86
    tmay wrote: »
    I think that the Chromebook is very useful for a niche audience, and education meets that well...

Interestingly enough, I always figured that the Chrome OS would succeed Android OS in a merger in the opposite direction that has been announced.

Even more interesting? Google says the story as reported wasn't true anyway. ChromeOS isn't going away.

Everyone as you were. 8-)

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/11/chrome-os-is-here-to-stay.html
  • Reply 80 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Even more interesting? Google says the story as reported wasn't true anyway. ChromeOS isn't going away.

Everyone as you were. image

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/11/chrome-os-is-here-to-stay.html

It isn't all that convincing a statement; I think Chrome OS will be around for awhile, but it isn't interesting to consumers, so I expect it to be deprecated over time vs Android.