Alleged hiring freeze at Pegatron prompts more doom-and-gloom speculation about Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sog35 wrote: »

Its a ridiculous move by Microsoft.  Or maybe it just proves that Wall Streets hopes and dreams that Cloud would be a big profit maker for Microsoft and Amazon is bullshit.
    Amazon's AWS cloud revenue already outperforms the retail side. To be honest Bezos saw where services were going before the rest of the industry did and was smart enough to plan for it years ago when the data centers were rolling out to support retail.

He built it and they came. Smart.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Amazon's AWS cloud revenue exceeds the entire revenue of their retail side. It's also valued higher.

Yes. If Amazon dropped all of their products and services tomorrow except for their cloud component, they'd suddenly be a real business. They'd have no more state-by-state sales tax extortion and labor disputes to worry about, or delivery problems and returns to deal with...it would be a company in which I'd once again want to own stock.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Not sure exactly what he's referring to, but maybe this - http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/

or this - http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-scraps-unlimited-onedrive-storage-and-cuts-it-1740232233

Neither sounds particularly good, but maybe the first one would scare more people off.

oops, research took too long and he already responded...

The Windows 10 spying stuff is not good, but the Onedrive stuff is much worse.  If you're going to advertise UNLIMITED, people are going to take you up on that.  That's not something new.  I also don't see how anyone can abuse Unlimited. After all it's Unlimited!!!  Oh, Like the Cell Phone carriers, you didn't really mean it.   The $2 a month for 50 Gig's, It's $1 a month now for 50 Gig's  for iCloud?   So now MS is twice as expensive as Apple.  I find that funny.   What is Microsoft thinking?

• Reply 24 of 36
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Microsoft decreasing free cloud drive from 20GB to 5GB, no more unlimited cloud with 365.

Increased cloud pricing accross the board.

With the new prices Microsofts 50GB tier cost more than Apple's.

Its a ridiculous move by Microsoft.  Or maybe it just proves that Wall Streets hopes and dreams that Cloud would be a big profit maker for Microsoft and Amazon is bullshit.  

I think Wall Street is idiots thinking cloud can be a huge profit maker for Microsoft and Amazon at the current prices they charge.  Its obvious that Amazon's profitablility numbers for their cloud services is full of accounting tricks and flatout fraud.

What this means to me is that the revenues from Windows Phone that are supposed to support these cloud offerings are not sufficient.  i.e. far below what Microsoft was hoping for.  Death spiral begins . . .  now.

• Reply 25 of 36
    tundraboy wrote: »

What this means to me is that the revenues from Windows Phone that are supposed to support these cloud offerings are not sufficient.  i.e. far below what Microsoft was hoping for.  Death spiral begins . . .  now.

Windows Phone was dead at its inception.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Looks like the hedge fund guys are NOT happy. Read the comments on this Zero Hedge article about Pegatron. Horrible people. The comments there are usually rank, but especially so since yesterday. :smokey:
  • Reply 27 of 36
    The China Daily News article is slightly different -- and far more pessimistic -- than another account published by DigiTimes (Taiwan). According to DigiTimes, Pegatron is shutting down some operations in one factory, because it has no spare capacity, and moving operations to another plant where capacity for greater production does exist:

"Pegatron clarifies stopped operation of some iPhone 6s production lines"
    DIGITIMES [Monday 2 November 2015]

Pegatron has stopped operating some iPhone 6s production lines at its factory in Shanghai, eastern China, and limited its recruiting for workers for the related production due to smaller than originally expected demand for iPhone 6s, according to China-based media reports. In response, Pegatron clarified that some of iPhone 6s production lines at the Shanghai factory have been moved to a factory in Kunshan, eastern China, because room for production capacity at the Shanghai factory has been tight.

Among the workers for the shifted iPhone 6s production lines at the Shanghai factory, those who are unwilling to move to the Kunshan factory will be laid off, Pegatron said.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20151101PD200.html
  • Reply 28 of 36
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Apple uses many vendors for there builds and may change vendors at anytime. Apple's last quarter proved there is no doom happening at all. Most of that quarter was old iPhone sales that are still going strong. This quarter we will have the new models of iPhone, iPad Pro, Apple TV and Macs. Only idiots will see doom and gloom because they are still living in the early 90's and can't seem to get out of that time warp. Apple is a very different company today with no doom and gloom in sight, not even a little.

• Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Not sure exactly what he's referring to, ... or this:

http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-scraps-unlimited-onedrive-storage-and-cuts-it-1740232233

The quote from Microsoft is ridiculous: who did they think would be attracted to an Unlimited plan... casual users with low demand?

"Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average."

• Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

The quote from Microsoft is ridiculous: who did they think would be attracted to an Unlimited plan... casual users with low demand?

"Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average."

And them knowing exactly what was backed up shows that they look at your files...

• Reply 31 of 36
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

The Windows 10 spying stuff is not good, but the Onedrive stuff is much worse.  If you're going to advertise UNLIMITED, people are going to take you up on that.  That's not something new.  I also don't see how anyone can abuse Unlimited. After all it's Unlimited!!!  Oh, Like the Cell Phone carriers, you didn't really mean it.   The $2 a month for 50 Gig's, It's $1 a month now for 50 Gig's  for iCloud?   So now MS is twice as expensive as Apple.  I find that funny.   What is Microsoft thinking?

Obviously, they are not.

• Reply 32 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

30% of iPhone sales last quarter were switchers from Android.

Even though there may be lots of Android switchers, I can't help but think that the new carrier phone financing policy along with Apple financing policy might actually hurt sales. Now that there is no penalty for keeping your phone past two years, many people may postpone renewing as often. I am very happy with the iPhone 6. Normally I would upgrade to the 7 when it is released but I'm not as motivated as in previous cycles.

• Reply 33 of 36
    APPLE, Proudly doomed since 1989.
  • Reply 34 of 36

Ah, I was wondering why the stock is up $2.23 (as I write).

Bad news is apparently the new good news for AAPL.

• Reply 35 of 36
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member

They Gimped one drive. took away the unlimited storage options, got rid of the 100 gig and 200 gig plans . anybody that had any of the promotions gets those taken away also. stuck with either office 365 1terabyte  or $2 a month 50 gig plan (which is more expensive then apples icloud plan ). A lot of die hard windows phone  fans are very upset. It might be the thing that finally has the rest of the userbase go to iphones (or android).

It was just announced last night.

They need this revenue to support WS's unrealistic expectations for their profit.

Roosters coming home...

It's interesting that APPL went up despite this rumor. This is maybe a sign WS is coming to their senses about the value of APPL vis a vis MSFT.