Microsoft makes across-the-board downgrades to OneDrive storage options, ditches unlimited tiers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

They "exploit" it by simply having a superior product.  People continue to realize this and migrate to Apple.

Microsoft Office is superior to anything Apple (or anyone else) has. Their 5TB for $99 a year is also better than anyone else.

All my mobile devices are iOS. My home computers are a mix of Macs and PCs. My work computer is a PC because much of the software I use is Windows only. I have 50GB iCloud Drive storage so all my photos/videos get backed up and I don't have to worry about running out of space. My long-term storage is on OneDrive because of the large amount of space it offers. My critical backups of data are also on OneDrive, duplicated across more than 1 of my 5 accounts for redundancy.

I'm not "migrating" anywhere. I use a mix of devices/services from both Apple and Microsoft to give me the best overall possible experience. As much as this makes Microsoft look bad, I doubt it'll cause anyone to move.

• Reply 22 of 54
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Microsoft Office is superior to anything Apple (or anyone else) has. Their 5TB for $99 a year is also better than anyone else.

All my mobile devices are iOS. My home computers are a mix of Macs and PCs. My work computer is a PC because much of the software I use is Windows only. I have 50GB iCloud Drive storage so all my photos/videos get backed up and I don't have to worry about running out of space. My long-term storage is on OneDrive because of the large amount of space it offers. My critical backups of data are also on OneDrive, duplicated across more than 1 of my 5 accounts for redundancy.

I'm not "migrating" anywhere. I use a mix of devices/services from both Apple and Microsoft to give me the best overall possible experience. As much as this makes Microsoft look bad, I doubt it'll cause anyone to move.

Until they realize people are doing this and it costs them more than they thought to support your 5 account/5 TB for $99 a year.

This is why people don't (and never have) trusted Microsoft.

The new Microsoft, same as the old Microsoft.

Edit: It actually disappoints me. I thought they had turned that corner.

• Reply 23 of 54
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Nope.  Microsoft is realizing that you can't make any significant profits with the price structure they were using.  No one can.

Its hilarious that Wall Street clowns thought Microsoft's and Amazon's cloud business would be massive drivers to profits.  HELL NO.  Cloud services is the very defintion of a commodity product.  Its has ZERO value if it isn't tied to a specific device like iCloud is.

Once again Apple is proven right and Wall Street proven wrong.

the only ones making money off this was the HDD companies they sold so many cheap TB drives to all these companies who were all competeting for the same customers with no real way to make money.

I just find it funny the movie pirates were storing their content on MS servers wonder if the RIAA and MIAA will be going after MS for storing their content on their servers.

• Reply 24 of 54
    75 terabytes is enough space to upload around 40000 movies in high definition. Microsoft got it badly wrong here, but people using their unlimited tier to that extent are in my opinion complete t*ts. These are the types of people who gorge their way through all the shrimp at the buffet and f**k anyone else cause the buffets unlimited. I'm not a fair usage policy fan but in this instance.......!
  • Reply 25 of 54
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

What I wonder is how Microsoft is treating that person that actually believed that they meant what they said and trusted their service to safeguard his 75TB of data.  I suspect they are treating him likely a criminal for taking them up on their offer.

Maybe they are treating him thusly:

Quote:

Office 365 subscribers already over the 1 terabyte limit will be able to keep their current storage for another 12 months, or receive a pro-rated refund.

• Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

Until they realize people are doing this and it costs them more than they thought to support your 5 account/5 TB for $99 a year.

This is why people don't (and never have) trusted Microsoft.

The new Microsoft, same as the old Microsoft.

Edit: It actually disappoints me. I thought they had turned that corner.

If they get rid of the 5TB/Office 365 bundle then I'll be supremely pissed. I never used the unlimited plan nor the free plan, so I'm not really concerned about what MS has done there. I never expect to get anything for free, so I always opt to pay for the next highest tier. I would never rely on any type of free service for anything, nor would I feel sorry for those that did and are now forced to change.

• Reply 27 of 54
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:

Well Amazon still offers 'unlimited' cloud for $60 a month.

Hope everyone from oneDrive goes there and forces Amazon to change their pricing structure too.

These companies like Amazon and Microsoft are so pathetic to rely on bait and switch tactics to lure customers and then jack up prices once they are trapped.

Aside from this nonsense decision with OneDrive, both Amazon and MS, has been lowering the prices in the majority of their cloud services.  Even their 1TB w/ Office 365 at $70.00 / $99.00 per year is better than what other cloud providers offer.  

I don't understand why you want Amazon change their pricing structure to something negative for customers.  

• Reply 28 of 54
    Sounds like monkey boy dropped in for the weekend and pushed some buttons.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member

They should rename it "OneTBDrive" since that's all you'll be able to store now.  Or "OneMoreDrive", since some people won't be able to store everything they want within the 1 TB limit. I don't agree with the abusive user storing 75 TB, but as others have mentioned already, Microsoft could offer a plan that tops out somewhere above 1 TB. Until they do though, for some users it will no longer be their "one" drive, which was the whole point of the name: "one drive to hold your data".

• Reply 30 of 54

This is bait and switch.  It is really silly to offer unlimited unless you are trying to bait and switch.  The rest of the approach here is nonsense.  I don't need to repeat what others have already said...

• Reply 31 of 54
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 166member

All it takes is one apple in the batch. :no:

• Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

unlimited is unlimited. those few were using what they were contracted to use, and at no fault to themselves -- theres nothing wrong w/ wanting to pay for and use unlimited space.

it was boneheaded of MS to offer it. thats it.

I don't care how Microsoft marketed it, that's up to their discretion. I'm just saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE to have unlimited storage. LITERALLY impossible to have unlimited storage.

Quote:

This is literally the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

I guess that's the folly of being someone who can't understand logic.

I guess I would be expecting far too much to ask for a reason but then the Internet is full of people like this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

But it is unlimited if you buy something that is unlimited!... /s

I retained the "/s" because I knew your post was sarcasm but this is the problem with computer users. Sure the real issue is the marketing departments using the word "Unlimited" incorrectly but users also need to bear the brunt of their ignorance.

People are just too lazy to want to learn about their environment - in this case computer systems - and so get sucked in by the marketing hype. Anyone who actually knows anything about basic storage systems knows the fallacy that is "Unlimited" storage. Anyone who understands basic logic would know you can't have something that is unlimited when the storage that they are using has physical limits on them.

100,000 x 1TB drives will give you 100,000 TB and that's a hell of a lot but it's still a PHYSICAL limit of 100,000 TB that cannot be increased unless you either swap them out for 2TB drives which will then increase your limit to 200,000TB or you add more drives but you can still only ever have the amount of storage space the amount of drives you have will allow you to have.

• Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:

Stop being an apologist. 

That excuse that a few are abusing the unlimited tier does not explain why they decreased the free tier from 15GB to 5GB.

No, this is 100% about profits.  Switch and bait tactics.  This is the difference between Apple and Microsoft.  Apple started their iCloud prices at a high level but lowered prices.  While Microsoft used cheap prices to lure people in and then jacked up the price once they trapped users.

This is why I will pay more for Apple products. 

I'm not being an apologist. I'm using logic. I know this might be hard for some to grasp.

There is a logical reason why Apple does not offer an "Unlimited" plan. It has nothing to do with profits or bait and switch tactics it has everything to do with physical reality.

• Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

The cost isn't in storage. The cost is in bandwidth. Look at Azure's download rates... 5 cents/GB. Storage is almost half that, 2.2 cents/GB-Month. So you upload one GB file, it gets downloaded on three devices (work computer, laptop, home computer), you've cost them 15 cents (at retail prices). 75 TB of transfer = $3,750.

This is why they're lowering the free tier.

I never said anything about cost at all. I wasn't even looking at that side of the equation. But you are so right. The real limitation is your internet speeds, their internet speeds, and everyone's dataplans.

• Reply 35 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    You guys are right. The guy who uploaded 75TB of stuff did nothing wrong. He's probably unaware of any "wrongdoing" also.

It said "unlimited" and he figured "hey, I can use 75TB to store all my stuff".
  • Reply 36 of 54
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    ???? realy ms? People are abusing the system? So their try to say that when they said
    Unlimited, they really didn't mean unlimited. Selling what they can not deliver, how pathetic.
    And to top it off ms blames the customer. Laughable.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    sog35 wrote: »
    Stop being an apologist. 

That excuse that a few are abusing the unlimited tier does not explain why they decreased the free tier from 15GB to 5GB.

No, this is 100% about profits.  Switch and bait tactics.  This is the difference between Apple and Microsoft.  Apple started their iCloud prices at a high level but lowered prices.  While Microsoft used cheap prices to lure people in and then jacked up the price once they trapped users.

This is why I will pay more for Apple products. 
    At least I can do what I want with my TB of OneDrive space as opposed to the iCloud space I pay for which is so limiting and dysfunctional that it's all but useless. Apple has a serious flaw in the entire system where iTunes or iCloud are involved.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How do you know they uploaded that much. The majority were probably using less than 5GB.

These days? I doubt it.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    stephen714 wrote: »
    At least I can do what I want with my TB of OneDrive space as opposed to the iCloud space I pay for which is so limiting and dysfunctional that it's all but useless. Apple has a serious flaw in the entire system where iTunes or iCloud are involved.

What can't you store on an iCloud Drive?

And if it's useless then isn't it a bit daft to pay for it?
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Unlimited is NOT unlimited when it comes to storage space. There is literally a finite amount of room to store stuff.

Right, in this universe, unlimited means unlimited and it applies to everything. It is either unlimited or it's not. There is no such thing as 'kinda unlimited' or 'a tad unlimited'.

If Microsoft had no intention of offering unlimited storage then they shouldn't have said it. Those people storing 75TB were doing absolutely nothing wrong. They were simply using what they were promised.

They should have let people keep the storage they've used, but cap it at that level. Then introduce the new capped levels for new customers.