Time Warner Cable to trial TV packages for Internet-only subscribers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
Time Warner Cable is preparing to trial a service that will eventually allow access to its TV packages while only having Internet with the company, the company revealed on Tuesday.

The company is now taking sign-ups for the trial, based on its Roku app. The company's group VP for Programming and Content, Alix Cottrell, said that the test is being limited to New York City at first to make sure the service is "really easy and straightforward" before it expands elsewhere, according to Engadget.

People accepted into the trial will receive a Roku 3 set-top, and be able to pick live channels in the same way as regular TWC TV customers -- up to a maximum of 300 -- or opt for select "skinny" bundles. Some programs should have video-on-demand access through StartOver, but initially there won't be DVR functions, movie rentals, or pay-per-view options.

Despite the ties with Roku, trial participants should be able to use their logins with other TWC TV app platforms, including iOS. Cottrell noted that the company is working on apps for still more platforms, which could potentially translate into an app for the fourth-generation Apple TV.

Prices will be announced when the trial launches, the current target date being Nov. 9.

TWC was at one point rumored to be working on enabling previous generations of the Apple TV to replace a cable box, but the technology never manifested, possibly because of Comcast's failed takeover attempt. Comcast itself was once linked to rumors of an Apple set-top, though the arrangement would've likely violated net neutrality rules.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

And so it begins.

Just wait till AppleTV4 has a user base of 20-30 million.  

All the people who hate on AppleTV4 for little nitpicks have no VISION at all.

OR, these people care how a product works today, not just what their hope is for the future.

• Reply 2 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

And so it begins.

Agreed. Something had to give. TWC and the cable companies have to explore options. I just took my cable box back last week, and cut the cord. Cable companies are seeing their service/product becoming wholly irrelevant. Now that there is a real option for content owners to take their property elsewhere, things may change.

• Reply 3 of 40
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Quote:

And so it begins.

Nothing began here at all.  This is just cable service through a Roku, nothing more.  No VOD, no DVR, or even Pay Per View.

• Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:

Then I don't have time for them.

People who can't see beyond 2 feet in front of their nose don't interest me at all.

My point is people who bitch about small crap like lack of audio out or lack of 4k are dummies and have no idea how market disruption works.

True, most people don't even realize the iPod didn't even play music when it was released!

• Reply 5 of 40
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    "Prices will be announced when the trial launches"

If the content will reflect what is typically available only to cable or satellite subscribers then it will be a price worthy of cable companies price-gouging reputation. You'll be paying for channels such as ESPN even though you don't want them. Content providers with enough clout have spelled out an all-subscribers or no deal in their contracts.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

True, most people don't even realize the iPod didn't even play music when it was released!

??? Please explain. What did it do then?

• Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by linkman View Post

It disrupted the market!

• Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Time Warner Cable is preparing to trial a service....

Trial a service? Really? There are many ways this could have been written that use actual English.

• Reply 9 of 40

It's finally happening...

• Reply 10 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

OR, these people care how a product works today, not just what their hope is for the future.

No. Nitpickers are nitpickers. It doesn’t matter how good a product is or isn’t. This ilk will find something complain about without fail. Jesus Christ could come down from heaven and they would complain he didn’t do it right.

• Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Then I don't have time for them.

People who can't see beyond 2 feet in front of their nose don't interest me at all.

My point is people who bitch about small crap like lack of audio out or lack of 4k are dummies and have no idea how market disruption works.

Agree.  Right now Big Cable is scrambling trying to find an answer.  It is good to see they are at least worried.  The other markets Apple buried didn't take them seriously.  And then they failed.  The question I have will the cable companies respond in time and with enough power to compete with Apple???  Only time will tell but I have a pretty good idea.

• Reply 12 of 40
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

And so it begins.

I agree and I personally believe this was the deal that was in the works with Apple and TW before Comcast stuck their nose in the deal. I think Apple was working a deal with TW to allow them to stream their content rights to anyone who had a internet connection. Comcast jumped in the middle of this to put a stop to the TW/Apple discussion. I do not have any direct knowledge of this, I work in this industry and it a small world but there was enought background noise and information going on to know a deal of some sorts was in the works and it all went quite once Comcast step in. Comcast would never work with Apple think of them like VZ, they think they know better than anyone else.

Comcast could not aford this to happen so they agree to over pay for TW and then dealt with the regulators for over a yr only to walk away. At that point Apple moved on its way and left TW with nothing. The Roku solution is not going to be as Apple we know this. Apple has a better UI. Plus it sounds like the soluton will be TW current customer only, verse the apple deal which would have been anyone.

• Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

cable companies should cooperate with Apple not compete.

Look at Nike, Disney, ect.  The companies that cooperate with Apple thrive.

I agree with your point.  I just don't see cable companies doing this.  Just like Automobile companies.  Industries that do not innovate and sit back collecting big dollars at our expense and frustration just set themselves up to be disrupted.  They will get what they deserve.

• Reply 14 of 40
    lkrupp wrote: »

No. Nitpickers are nitpickers. It doesn’t matter how good a product is or isn’t. This ilk will find something complain about without fail. Jesus Christ could come down from heaven and they would complain he didn’t do it right.

You're preaching it wrong ;)
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

And so it begins.

Finally!

• Reply 16 of 40
    linkman wrote: »

I think that statement is ironic. As the iPod had its key feature available from day one, this might not be true for the ATV yet. At least, that's how it looks like from outside here ;)
  • Reply 17 of 40
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It was coming from Timewarner, comcast,etc We know was inevitable. Only thing is if they can provide alacarte package than great.

But, on one side they will offer streaming and other side will charge more for the internet package like today's news - Comcast to offer unlimited data for an extra $35 a month
  • Reply 18 of 40
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I really don't see the point of cable companies offering live streaming on devices such as Roku and Apple TV. The majority of people in the U.S. have data caps. What is really the advantage of having a streaming service on Apple TV versus just having a cable box/satellite receiver? 

• Reply 19 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I bet TWC's streaming service won't buffer, stall or pixelate like other streaming services viewed using TWC broadband.

• Reply 20 of 40
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    cincytee wrote: »
    Trial a service? Really? There are many ways this could have been written that use actual English.

It's very depressing to see this ridiculous trend take hold! I've even heard a VP of a major corporation come up with "solutioning" while addressing the team. For a person in that position, you might overlook it, but when this sort of rubbish is being put forth by professional writers, it doesn't bode well for the English language.