Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' expected to pack 3GB of RAM into 'A10' CPU in late 2016

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    netmage wrote: »
    For those that want waterproof and more resilient class and stronger chassis, the 6s/6s Plus has all of those things.

what? where has Apple claimed its waterproof? care to demonstrate for us? toss yours into s pool and send us the video.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    And I don't believe a single bloody word of his.

Well, he does have the best track record of anyone and is also right most of the time.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ascii wrote: »
    The iPad Pro has 4GB, so it seems to me that after years of being stingy with RAM they are finally changing that.

I hope so. Hopefully this means iPad Pro is a real beast and a new class of applications will be written for it. Apps that people won't mind paying decent money for.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Well, he does have the best track record of anyone and is also right most of the time.

But this report sure seems more like a guess than anything else. And some of it is so obvious any one of us could've written it.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    This is great (I think)?  The comments regarding being stingy with RAM are BS.  Apple has a reason for not adding more RAM.  Primarily they cannot reach a critical target of battery life.  They also believe that you should only add things when you actually need them.  It is silly to think more is just better.  But that is what a lot of people believe I guess.  I assume that there is a known issue with 2G of RAM (I doubt) or as was already stated there is a new mainstream feature that requires it.  (I believe this to be true).

Not sure Apple needs to update phones this fast.  Even with upgrade program this will create issues.  It will be very difficult for them to keep software adoption consistent with changing models.  Feels like they are pushing the envelop as is.  We will see.

This isn't about just thinking more is better. The iPad Air 1 was a crap user experience because of the lack of RAM. iPad Air 2 is so much better. But even that still reloads tabs quite a bit. Same could be said of iPhone 6 Plus. If Apple is being stingy with RAM because of battery life concerns then maybe the phones need to be thicker and have bigger batteries.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Ah, more of this 'thin is better' silliness. When will it ever end. For those with memories, it got started with the Motorola RAZR many years ago. That's one fad that is well past its 'sell by' date.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope so. Hopefully this means iPad Pro is a real beast and a new class of applications will be written for it. Apps that people won't mind paying decent money for.

Yep. I think in the future most home users won't have a separate computer, you will just sit down at a desk and dock your phone in to a keyboard, monitor and mouse, and then that becomes your computer. So iOS devices will continue to get more RAM and more serious apps preparing for this day. It would almost be possible today expect that the Lightning connector is of too low bandwidth to be a dock connector, and iOS does not support a mouse.

• Reply 48 of 81
    ascii wrote: »
    Yep. I think in the future most home users won't have a separate computer, you will just sit down at a desk and dock your phone in to a keyboard, monitor and mouse, and then that becomes your computer. So iOS devices will continue to get more RAM and more serious apps preparing for this day. It would almost be possible today expect that the Lightning connector is of too low bandwidth to be a dock connector, and iOS does not support a mouse.

You should check out the British TV series called "Black Mirror". It had some really cool theoretical uses of future computers. It's on Netflix in the US.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

Focusing on thinner is no longer of much importance. Never, holding the iPhone have I thought it was too thick. In fact, the iPhone 6 is so thin it can be difficult to pick up.

What I would prefer to see as a focus over thinner is integrated wireless charging, waterproofing, and better battery life, as well as a sturdier frame. I see way too many bent iPhone 6's from normal day to day use.

I agree, the iphone is too thin now. Please, please Apple, give us more battery instead. Wireless charging...meh. To Apple's credit, I've never seen a bent iphone that wasn't done on purpose, or in the hands of someone who trashes everything they touch. 

• Reply 50 of 81
    Holding out for the iPhone Air, a stereo BT headset/mic that uses the cell chip in your iPad to make / answer calls...and listen to good music without wires in between...
  • Reply 51 of 81
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Mine was bent tho I did not realize it. I took it to the Apple Store due to the screen being cracked from falling from the height of a toilet onto concrete (this is exactly what happened). I also noticed the ringer/silent switch would randomly act like it was being repeatedly flipped by a ghost. The guy at the store said this is common with slightly bent phones.

It would have been worse but I have to baby my iPhone 6+ by not keeping it in my back pocket and sitting down. It just feels too slim and flimsy. I'm positive I could fold it in half with my bare hands if I wanted.
    same happened to me for the volume/silence switching while I was doing nothing. It happens when I put pressure on the phone like sitting in the car with it in the front pocket or place it under my pillow when I sleep. I don't see bend on my phone. However, when I place it in a case (after I dropped and broke the screen), the problem is gone.
  • Reply 52 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If Apple is being stingy with RAM because of battery life concerns then maybe the phones need to be thicker and have bigger batteries.

Apple usually tries to achieve a complex balance including all aspects of the device, such as making the battery last longer without increasing its size, making it thinner without compromising its strength, making it faster without generating too much heat, giving it more RAM without draining the battery, optimizing the OS to be more efficient, thus prolonging the battery life. They rarely approach a problem from a simplistic view such as must make battery big to allow more RAM and improve battery life.

• Reply 53 of 81
    ignomini wrote: »

I agree, the iphone is too thin now. Please, please Apple, give us more battery instead. Wireless charging...meh. To Apple's credit, I've never seen a bent iphone that wasn't done on purpose, or in the hands of someone who trashes everything they touch. 
    keep wishing. Apple won't increase battery life of the iPhone since 1-day average usage is pretty much standard.
    Wireless charging? Lol. Apple don't do gimmick.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    rogifan wrote: »
    This isn't about just thinking more is better. The iPad Air 1 was a crap user experience because of the lack of RAM. iPad Air 2 is so much better. But even that still reloads tabs quite a bit. Same could be said of iPhone 6 Plus. If Apple is being stingy with RAM because of battery life concerns then maybe the phones need to be thicker and have bigger batteries.
    Apple would rather invest in making more efficient battery than making it bigger resulting in a thicker phone. I don't mind the thinner phone as long as it doesn't compromise the battery life. I think the battery in the Plus version is good now.
  • Reply 55 of 81

I've never seen a bent one - and I see people using them ALL THE TIME

• Reply 56 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

6Plus 128GB. I also don't understNd why solid state storage can't function as RAM in this day and age.

Because doing so can shorten the life of the SSD as FLASH chips have a limited lifespan - maybe this is not case anymore with the newer SSD but I don't know of any mobile OEM using SSD as RAM on its default configuration.

If you are on Android, you can obviously flash the thing and do whatever you want.

-------------

Correction - The playstore already has apps that enable swap file (no rooting required)

http://appcrawlr.com/android-apps/best-apps-swap-file

• Reply 57 of 81
    "He also correctly predicted in April that Apple would not launch a new 4-inch iPhone model this year, though [B]he said on Tuesday that he expects Apple will launch a metal handset with an A9 chip in that size in early 2016."[/B]
    Is this likely?
  • Reply 58 of 81
    dont need to be thinner....

what we need on the iPhone 4.7 inch is

significantly better battery life
    optical image stabilization
    no protuding camera
    rotating icons like the plus version
    better antenna
  • Reply 59 of 81
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

6Plus 128GB. I also don't understNd why solid state storage can't function as RAM in this day and age.

Because SSD is not as fast as RAM. Intel and Micron are going to change that with 3D XPoint technology though - it will be as fast as RAM yet retains data and significantly cheaper than RAM. It is possible that RAM will be totally eliminated. 

• Reply 60 of 81
    Making it thinner is the last thing I need Apple to do with their phones. I sincerely hope we something impressive this time around, not just the same old marketing nonsense.