Apple's iOS 9 now installed on two out of three compatible devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
Apple on Tuesday revealed 66 percent of compatible devices are now running iOS 9 thanks to a spike in adoption following last week's update, which brought new emoji support, Live Photos tweaks and bug fixes.

According to Apple's developer webpage, the latest iOS 9.0.2 update released last week appears to be responsible for the recent bump in adoption. The 66 percent number compares to statistics gathered in early October that pegged adoption at 57 percent.

Alongside iOS 9, a quarter of Apple device owners are still running last year's iOS 8, while earlier operating system versions accounted for another 9 percent. Apple collects its data by measuring visits to the iOS App Store.

The latest iOS 9.0.2 update introduced two core features, the first being the addition of more than 150 new emoji characters with extended support for Unicode 7.0 and 8.0 characters. Apple also augmented Live Photos with hooks into iPhone's accelerometer APIs, allowing iPhone 6s handsets to sense when they are being raised and lowered to preventing inadvertent recording. The usual bug fixes and stability improvements were also included.

iOS 9 started out strong in September as first week results showed more than 50 percent of all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch owners had installed the new operating system on their respective devices. At the time, Apple said iOS 9 exhibited the fastest adoption rates in company history.

Apple most recently pushed out the second beta version of iOS 9.2 today with changes to Safari that enable extensions while running in third-party apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    What was pushed out last week was 9.1.
  • Reply 2 of 27

Isn't it supposed to be iOS 9.1 that got the new Emojis?

• Reply 3 of 27
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Isn't it supposed to be iOS 9.1 that got the new Emojis?
    yup, this ????????????????????
  • Reply 4 of 27
    I agree, it was basically the new emoji that drove the rapid adoption. People think emoji are da ????
  • Reply 5 of 27
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Can't believe the .1 update was emojis.

That's probably why AI thought it was a .0.1 release.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Just emojis!

Quote:

iOS 9.1

This article summarizes the key developer-related features introduced in iOS 9.1, which runs on currently shipping iOS devices. The article also lists the documents that describe new features in more detail.

For late-breaking news and information about known issues, see iOS 9.1 Release Notes. For the complete list of new APIs added in iOS 9.1, see iOS 9.1 API Diffs. For more information on new devices, see iOS Device Compatibility Reference.

Live Photos

Live Photos is a feature of iOS 9 that allows users to capture and relive their favorite moments with richer context than traditional photos. When the user presses the shutter button, the Camera app captures much more content along with the regular photo, including audio and additional frames before and after the photo. When browsing through these photos, users can interact with them and play back all the captured content, making the photos come to life.

iOS 9.1 introduces APIs that allow apps to incorporate playback of Live Photos, as well as export the data for sharing. The Photos framework includes support to fetch aPHLivePhoto object from the PHImageManager object, which is used to represent all the data that comprises a Live Photo. You can use a PHLivePhotoView object (defined in the PhotosUI framework) to display the contents of a Live Photo. The PHLivePhotoView view takes care of displaying the image, handling all user interaction, and applying the visual treatments to play back the content.

You can also use PHAssetResource to access the data of a PHLivePhoto object for sharing purposes. You can request a PHLivePhoto object for an asset in the user’s photo library by using PHImageManager or UIImagePickerController. If you have a sharing extension, you can also get PHLivePhoto objects by using NSItemProvider. On the receiving side of a share, you can recreate a PHLivePhoto object from the set of files originally exported by the sender.

The data of a Live Photo is exported as a set of files in a PHAssetResource object. The set of files must be preserved as a unit when you upload them to a server. When you rebuild a PHLivePhoto with these files on the receiver side, the files are validated; loading fails if the files don’t come from the same asset.

To learn how to give users a great experience with Live Photos in your app, see Live Photos.

Support for Apple Pencil

iOS 9.1 introduces APIs that help you use coalesced and predictive touches that can be produced by Apple Pencil on supported devices. Specifically, the UITouch class includes:

For an example of some ways to take advantage of these APIs in your app, see the sample project TouchCanvas: Using UITouch efficiently and effectively. To learn how to add 3D Touch segues to your views, see Adding 3D Touch Segues.

Oh, as well as..

Quote:

iOS 9.0 to iOS 9.1 API Differences

Objective-C

Swift

So easy to troll when facts don't matter, eh?

• Reply 7 of 27
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    What I find more impressive is that 1 in 3 device owners are willing to say "no" to the daily upgrade nag that the operating system presents.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Just emojis!

Oh, as well as..

So easy to troll when facts don't matter, eh?

But most of the people with iPhones only care about the emojis. They don't care about the rest of that stuff or even know what it is. They just know that they have new emojis.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    softeky wrote: »
    What I find more impressive are that 1 in 3 device owners are willing to say "no" to the daily upgrade nag that the operating system presents.

What I find interesting is that the "Earlier" number keeps getting bigger every time.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Right. It was just emojis, nothing else. Why are you even here?

• Reply 11 of 27
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

i know more people who upated to 9.1 from 8.x due to the new emojis more than any other reason. So all those other 150 new features was not worth it for people just the ability to give people the middle finger drove adoption.

• Reply 12 of 27
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

The difference between a minor update (e.g. 9.1) and a bug fix (e.g. 9.0.1) has absolutely nothing to do with the number of user-facing changes. Any time even one new API is added it has to be an update so that developers who take advantage of that new API can require that update as a minimum system requirement. Developers cannot set a bug fix release as their minimum. In theory, Apple could have a bug fix release that adds a dozen new apps and totally changes the UI as long as it is done with the same APIs as the previous release, whereas an update that changes one obscure API is necessary going to be labelled as an update. 

Apple is very consistent about their naming scheme making all whining about whether a release deserves to be labelled as an update or not moot. It isn't just you though, here's an ignorant Fortune piece with the same stuff http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/10/27/apple-reveals-ios-9-2/

• Reply 13 of 27
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

i know more people who upated to 9.1 from 8.x due to the new emojis more than any other reason. So all those other 150 new features was not worth it for people just the ability to give people the middle finger drove adoption.

Funny how subjective experience can seem so overblown to the person experiencing them. Fortunately we have data on this. The update curve below shows a jump in iOS 9 installations of 2% the day iOS 9.1 came out, whereas typically 0.5 - 1% of users upgrade per day. After that tiny bump the update rate returned to its normal trajectory. So while you may think you know a lot of people who were enticed by emojis, the data shows only 1-2% of them were induced to update earlier than they otherwise would have by iOS 9.1.

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_9/from_date:-20,report_unit:day,to_date:0

• Reply 14 of 27
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    The main reason I'm holding out is that I'm not sure I want to install it on the iPads 2 & 3. I've heard some say it's no worse than 8 if not better, I've heard some [likely trolls] say it makes them unusable.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    It's 3/4 in my household. My wife's inertia on matters electronic is quite an immovable object. Something looks good, works well, and she'll stick with it for a while.

Sigh.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    cornchip wrote: »
    The main reason I'm holding out is that I'm not sure I want to install it on the iPads 2 & 3. I've heard some say it's no worse than 8 if not better, I've heard some [likely trolls] say it makes them unusable.

Personally, if you've been able to tolerate them running iOS 8, I'd think you'd be able to tolerate them running 9...sap isn't much slower at 34 degrees than it is at 35.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Better than 8 on my iPad2. Not great but better. If I could go back in time, I would have stayed with 6.xx. May not work with some apps now, but it ran great. Hoping for an "Air3 to be announced this winter/spring.

• Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's 3/4 in my household. My wife's inertia on matters electronic is quite an immovable object. Something looks good, works well, and she'll stick with it for a while.

Sigh.

Sadly I have to deal with this too. But things are looking better. My gf is starting to update on her own. Might be a release or two behind, but progress is being made hahaha.

• Reply 19 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by softeky View Post

What I find more impressive is that 1 in 3 device owners are willing to say "no" to the daily upgrade nag that the operating system presents.

Daily eh?  Please provide an example of what "daily" nag iOS9 gives?  I must not be getting that memo.

• Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Sigh.

You gotta be careful with quotes like that. Some butthead like me might come along and pull one of these:

Quote:

My wife's quite an immovable object.

Sigh.

Of course I am joking and hopefully you see the humor in it.

I am just poking fun at how quotes will often get taken out of context around here.