Sales figures of MS Office X vs Office XP

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello,

Remember right before MWNY when the MS BU was complaining about how Apple wasn't doing enough to promote OS 9 users moving to OS X, as evidenced by their sluggish sales of Office v.X?

[quote]Microsoft has been reluctant to release sales figures for Office v. X, but during a Tuesday briefing said sales were well below expectations. Microsoft has sold 300,000 copies vs. an expected 750,000. In fact, Office 2001, which runs on the older Mac OS 9, is outselling version v. X, the company said.

<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-943859.html"; target="_blank">link</a>

But now we get a glimpse of sales figures for Office XP:

[quote]Retailers have sold 300,000 copies of the academic version of Office XP since October, taking in about $43 million in revenue, according to NPDTechworld. By comparison, the full standard version has racked up 121,000 retail sales and the standard upgrade version has sold 100,000 since Office XP's release in May 2001.

<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-954779.html?tag=cd_mh"; target="_blank">link</a>

...and now the sales for Office v.X don't look so bad, do they? Do you think these numbers are accurate?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I know I wouldn't pay for Office unless I got a sweet instutional deal on it, no way, no how. It's much too expensive, as are a number of pro apps from M$ and others. Mac buyers seem to like paying too much, so it's a good fit.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    here at a&m, microsoft made a deal so that every student has to pay $1.25 per credit hour so they have access to cheaper microsoft software (still not even free, despite paying every semester), regardless of whether we use/need it or not. so basically, this is a tax against people who arent giving them money. most college students cant afford to pay the hefty fees for microsoft products, so its good in that way. but also, most student have no reason to upgrade. all non-windows users really have no need for this (although i might get office), and most current windows users already have what they need on their computer. its a good discount, but overall, they are getting millions out of us that they otherwise wouldnt be getting. smart for microsoft, and stupid of the universities that go along with whatever they are told...

frankly, paying $460 bucks for a program is insane, seeing as its really nothing special, and theres no reason to get the upgrades (and you can get a windows computer for about the same just by itself). its worth paying for the first time perhaps, but "upgrades" usually arent worth an extra hundred or 2...

if they lowered the price, more people would buy it and less would pirate. it's their own damn fault for putting the price so high.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Are you telling me the Mac version of Office is out-selling the Windows version? This confirms it. Hell has frozen over.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Son of Pismo:

<strong>Are you telling me the Mac version of Office is out-selling the Windows version? This confirms it. Hell has frozen over.</strong><hr></blockquote>

From the numbers above and counting upgrades as full versions, it sounds like Office v.X is outselling Office XP relative to market share, not in absolute terms. (300k + 121K + 100k = 521k &gt; 300k.) If the numbers from NPDIntellect are right, Microsoft doesn't have a leg to stand on complaining about Office v.X sales. Of course, we suspected all along that they were rattling their sabres in retaliation for Apple's newly confrontational and competitive attitude.

Unfortunately, Hell won't freeze over until earth is completely rid of Windows.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 8
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    Ok, before this gets too far... remember that Windows Office users almost always get the OEM version of Office bundled with their computer purchase. In fact, I don't know a single Windows user that bought Office retail. Usually, they use whatever version of Office they have until they get a new PC which has the next version bundled. Sales of Office for Windows are far, far greater than for Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mjpacimjpaci Posts: 79member
    This also doesn't include corporate licensing. We have 20,000+ licenses to Office XP here at my company alone. Imagine what GE has or Boeing.

Corporations don't buy retail.

--Mike
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I think Office for Windows might be the most pirated app I've ever seen.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>I think Office for Windows might be the most pirated app I've ever seen.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Followed closely by Windows itself.